Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 4:38 am

"Rebbieh, you're not like anyone else I know, and I don't mean that in a negative way. You can be very focused on something one moment and the next moment you're not. You can laugh and be very silly one moment and the next moment you're completely stuck in your own little world. By that I mean you can be very hard to reach sometimes. I can see in your eyes that you're off somewhere else in your head. You're ON or OFF. Sometimes you go from on to off very quickly and other times you're just completely off. You're very special. Also, you seem a bit confused at times, which I find a bit funny."

What does this mean? Anyone?

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 5:03 am

Who said that to you?

I think it means just what they have said. I could be wrong, but it sounds as if the person who has said that is very fond of you and has clearly spend some time thinking about you and trying to figure you out.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 5:19 am

SilkySifaka wrote:
Who said that to you?

I think it means just what they have said. I could be wrong, but it sounds as if the person who has said that is very fond of you and has clearly spend some time thinking about you and trying to figure you out.

An old friend of mine. We don't see each other that often (maybe once ever 6 months or so) but I'd say when we see each other we're still pretty close.

She's fond of me. At least she says so. But what does it mean that I go from on to off quickly or that I'm completely off sometimes? Is that good? Is that bad? Are these AS traits? Why does she think I seem confused and why does she find it funny? I realise you might not have the answers to these questions but I thought I'd ask anyway.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 5:23 am

rebbieh wrote:
SilkySifaka wrote:
Who said that to you?

An old friend of mine. We don't see each other that often (maybe once ever 6 months or so) but I'd say when we see each other we're still pretty close.

She's fond of me. At least she says so. But what does it mean that I go from on to off quickly or that I'm completely off sometimes? Is that good? Is that bad? Are these AS traits? Why does she think I seem confused and why does she find it funny? I realise you might not have the answers to these questions but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I think she just means it can hard to reach you, that it feels as if you are somewhere else. Clearly she doesn't consider it bad, or she would have given up being your friend. This could be an AS trait. My family tell me that I sometimes go 'blank' in my facial expression and that I do not hear when they ask me things and this is the same with my father (we are both suspected, but no diagnosis).

I have no idea why she would find your confusion funny - that is a bit beyond me!

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2012, 5:25 am

Maybe your old friend is mentioning these behaviours to you (from how she sees it), because she wants to ensure that you are aware of how other people may also see you.
Nothing to be ashamed about, nothing to be concerned about. Just information if you ever wonder how you might appear to other people.

Many people would fit that description so you are are certainly not alone ; and I think that also goes for people wither they have AS, or inattentive ADD, or neither of the conditions and just be in their personality.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2012, 6:13 am

I think she's just commenting on your quirks. I don't think she's criticising, but just commenting on things she finds unusual but still likes about your personality. They do sound like AS traits to me.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 6:30 am

Sounds just like my oldest son (Aspie).

The only reason I can think of that you may not understand what is meant is maybe because you haven't actually met another aspie face to face that's like this too.

If you see it in someone else, it's more obvious. It's a lot harder to see what the person is describing in yourself. But you'd have to meet someone like this, and really get to know them for a while. It's not something that's going to show up in a short clip of their life.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 6:49 am

MrXxx wrote:

The only reason I can think of that you may not understand what is meant is maybe because you haven't actually met another aspie face to face that's like this too.

If you see it in someone else, it's more obvious. It's a lot harder to see what the person is describing in yourself. But you'd have to meet someone like this, and really get to know them for a while. It's not something that's going to show up in a short clip of their life.

I have never (at least not knowingly) met someone with AS (I don't even know if I'm an aspie myself). It's quite interesting to hear people's impression of me. I have no idea how they see me or how I come across.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 6:51 am

rebbieh wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

I have never (at least not knowingly) met someone with AS (I don't even know if I'm an aspie myself). It's quite interesting to hear people's impression of me. I have no idea how they see me or how I come across.

Frankly, I have learned more about myself since I became a father, from my own kids, than I ever knew before that. And I was 36 when the first was born!

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2012, 8:23 am

I have been told that I am "hot and cold" or incredibly aloof, which are similar representations to the description from your friend.

I think it just means that you have to make more of an effort to socialize so when you do you truly focus. However, since you are utilizing your energy you have to withdraw and turn "off" in order to think things through, gather your thoughts, and be able to turn "on" again.

Sometimes being absent-minded/confused is funny...it probably means that you think differently (which seems to another person that you are confused) but more than likely you are taking the literal interpretation.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 12:24 pm

I texted a coworker the other day asking how people see me at work.
Here's the conversation:

Me: completely random question: Do I seem kinda odd to people at work? I'm going to start the process of getting assessed for Aspergers soon and I want to kinda get an idea of how I'm seen by others.

T: Wow now that's a question. Well see I know u already so kinda hard. Well I think u r quiet, keep to yourself. Others do ask me if u r mean, or if something is wrong. I tell em nope he's just quiet.
I really don't think anything's wrong with ya, except that u r soo smart when it comes to certain things.

Me: I don't see having AS as something being "wrong" with me. And actually, one of the "symptoms" is being very knowledgeable in very narrow interests.

T: Well there u go. I think u r smart.
U know one more thing you text perfectly, perfect penmanship.

It came as a real surprise that some people would think I'm mean!

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/