Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2012, 3:30 pm

We all know what first person and third person games are like, but what about second person? Basically, you control the character, but you see through the eyes of the NPC. Sounds strange, but it's cool.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8G3z1dwwto[/youtube]

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 5:52 pm

They used to stretch logic by assimilating "over the shoulder" shooters as being 2nd person. Yeah, it's a programmatic stretch, but it doth exist.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 6:55 pm

Like an out of body experience!

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 1:32 am

BlueElephantKing wrote:
We all know what first person and third person games are like, but what about second person? Basically, you control the character, but you see through the eyes of the NPC. Sounds strange, but it's cool.

Actually there was a game like this on PS2. It was called Life Line and required you to use a mix between the controller and a logitech usb microphone. You were a character that was trapped in a space station control room, and there was a waitress on the security monitor. You literally tell that character (the waitress) what to do while wandering the station, looking for survivors to the crisis in the game. It's actually quite cool.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH30T5ZGYO4[/youtube]

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 2:15 am

Sounds like someone wanted to make a 2nd person shooter for the sake of making a 2nd person shooter.

Not that I dissapprove.

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2012, 6:44 am

Jaden wrote:
BlueElephantKing wrote:

Actually there was a game like this on PS2. It was called Life Line and required you to use a mix between the controller and a logitech usb microphone. You were a character that was trapped in a space station control room, and there was a waitress on the security monitor. You literally tell that character (the waitress) what to do while wandering the station, looking for survivors to the crisis in the game. It's actually quite cool.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH30T5ZGYO4[/youtube]

Oh yeah! I heard about that game years ago on G4, but I heard that it wasn't that good.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 2:05 pm

BlueElephantKing wrote:
Oh yeah! I heard about that game years ago on G4, but I heard that it wasn't that good.

Technically it isn't great, but I don't think it was bad necessarily either lol, although it was hard at times for the waitress to understand your commands and that was frustrating, but it's got better voice recognition than any other game I've ever seen. It's more casual than anything I guess, and that tends to equal "bad" for a lot of gamers because they want a crap load of action and easy controls.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 8:17 pm

I thought second person was like "You are in a room. You see a table here", etc.

In which case, you could probably make an Infocom-style shooter?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 8:22 pm

I don't know, from a design perspective it sounds like a really stupid premise.

Imagine playing Halo as Master Chief but the camera is the field of view of one of the enemy grunts.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 8:24 pm

thomas81 wrote:
I don't know, from a design perspective it sounds like a really stupid premise.

Imagine playing Halo as Master Chief but the camera is the field of view of one of the enemy grunts.

You're right, it doesn't really work with action oriented games. This style is better for puzzle based games.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 6:18 am

thomas81 wrote:

Well, it's like the "action camera" that they used to put in racing games...you'd try it out just for fun, and then go back to a different setting.