Dating in America is too competitive.

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

atdevel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Nov 2012, 2:54 pm

It's ridiculous!! ! I'm 20 and I get along with girls, but never actually hung out with a girl or kissed. I wish I lived in a country where people court or have arranged marriage. If I was Obama, I would start my new term by limiting dating's competitiveness since the competitiveness we have isn't biologically feasible.

Sidmor
Raven
Raven

07 Nov 2012, 3:11 pm

That reminds me of the rat utopia experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Calhoun

Quote:
In July 1968 four pairs of mice were introduced into the Utopian universe. The universe was a 9-foot (2.7 m) square metal pen with 54-inch-high (1.4 m) sides. Each side had four groups of four vertical, wire mesh “tunnels”. The “tunnels” gave access to nesting boxes, food hoppers, and water dispensers. There was no shortage of food or water or nesting material. There were no predators. The only adversity was the limit on space.

Initially the population grew rapidly, doubling every 55 days. The population reached 620 by day 315, after which the population growth dropped markedly. The last surviving birth was on day 600. This period between day 315 and day 600 saw a breakdown in social structure and in normal social behavior. Among the aberrations in behavior were the following: expulsion of young before weaning was complete, wounding of young, inability of dominant males to maintain the defense of their territory and females, aggressive behavior of females, passivity of non-dominant males with increased attacks on each other which were not defended against. After day 600 the social breakdown continued and the population declined toward extinction. During this period females ceased to reproduce. Their male counterparts withdrew completely, never engaging in courtship or fighting. They ate, drank, slept, and groomed themselves – all solitary pursuits. Sleek, healthy coats and an absence of scars characterized these males. They were dubbed “the beautiful ones”.

The conclusions drawn from this experiment were that when all available space is taken and all social roles filled, competition and the stresses experienced by the individuals will result in a total breakdown in complex social behaviors, ultimately resulting in the demise of the population.

Last edited by Sidmor on 07 Nov 2012, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 3:15 pm

atdevel wrote:
It's ridiculous!! ! I'm 20 and I get along with girls, but never actually hung out with a girl or kissed. I wish I lived in a country where people court or have arranged marriage. If I was Obama, I would start my new term by limiting dating's competitiveness since the competitiveness we have isn't biologically feasible.

I hope your joking on that one. :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 3:26 pm

atdevel wrote:

If you were Mr. Obama, you would already be married to Michelle, and other people's dating habits would be the least of your concerns, unless they were your daughters'.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 3:56 pm

Reminds me of the Simpsons where the smart people take over and Comic Book Guy says that breeding will be permitted only once every so many years.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 3:57 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
atdevel wrote:

I hope your joking on that one. :)

i hope most asking obama for things are joking

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 4:04 pm

Dating will be competitive anywhere you go. Every single animal species on earth has a drive to reproduce, and to select the best possible mate to reproduce with.

You can do two things

1.) Make yourself a better choice

2.) Use your brain to over ride that desire and lower your standards.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 5:03 pm

I actually have no real desire to date. I'm much, much happier being single. I have my own problems to deal with, and I really don't want to deal with the problems of having a significant other.
Such is life. 8)

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 3:13 am

atdevel wrote:

You should send him a letter and tell him to get right on that.

:lmao:

to his Interest."

BrokenEnvoke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2012, 8:38 am

atdevel wrote:
...arranged marriage...

How about no?

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 11:36 am

When I was 20 I was against courting and arranged marriage, figuring it would be too much time and energy to invest. I feel these days that societies that have traditions of arranged marriage are primarily to benefit the men though no doubt women were more affected at some point in history, otherwise there would be no traditional incentive such as a dowry.

Courting in the US 'Bible Belt' sense still favors the woman as she can have multiple suitors (I get the image of several tomcats milling about outside the female cat's window). A man couldn't sustain multiple courtships for very long before spreading himself too thin, depleting his finances, focus, time and sanity in the process.

On some level us guys will have no workaround to pushing ourselves a bit beyond our current capabilities; even if one finds a Russian mail-order wife there is not much one could do to make her stay.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:41 pm

2wheels4ever wrote:
When I was 20 I was against courting and arranged marriage, figuring it would be too much time and energy to invest. I feel these days that societies that have traditions of arranged marriage are primarily to benefit the men though no doubt women were more affected at some point in history, otherwise there would be no traditional incentive such as a dowry.

Courting in the US 'Bible Belt' sense still favors the woman as she can have multiple suitors (I get the image of several tomcats milling about outside the female cat's window). A man couldn't sustain multiple courtships for very long before spreading himself too thin, depleting his finances, focus, time and sanity in the process.

On some level us guys will have no workaround to pushing ourselves a bit beyond our current capabilities; even if one finds a Russian mail-order wife there is not much one could do to make her stay.

Statistically marriages to international spouses have a much lower divorce rate. I think only around 20%.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 6:15 pm

You think dating is bad? Getting a good job is ten times harder. There's more college graduates and less jobs available so that means we have to compete against more people for less spots.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 6:18 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:
You think dating is bad? Getting a good job is ten times harder. There's more college graduates and less jobs available so that means we have to compete against more people for less spots.

I've found the opposite to be true for myself. I'm having to fight off companies who want to hire me right now (just got offered my dream job), but in terms of dating, I can never seem to make it past 1 or 2 dates. Of course it took a lot of work for me to get there, but I'd say no more effort than I've put in trying to learn to be sociable and date.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 6:26 pm

BrokenEnvoke wrote:
atdevel wrote:
...arranged marriage...

How about no?

Adam82
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 6:49 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:

To be honest, I find both ridiculously hard.