Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Traceyr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2012, 5:32 pm

Hi everyone. My 5 year old son has been diagnosed today with aspergers . I am awaiting paperwork through the post but is there anything anyone can tell me as to what to expect with my son as he grows up and can I get any financial help? As I am now classed a carer and single parent to 4 children and unable to return into work. Thankyou x

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

08 Nov 2012, 6:11 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

I'd recommend taking a look at these sub-forums.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum19.html - Parents' Discussion
http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum22.html - Adolescent Autism Forum
http://www.wrongplanet.net/forum15.html - Kids' Crater

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 7:17 pm

if you're in the states, your child may be able to get disability payments and medicaid. contact your local assistance office and social security.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 7:47 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 9:33 pm

Welcome! We're glad to have you here at Wrong Planet! :sunny:

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 12:27 am

Traceyr wrote:
Hi everyone. My 5 year old son has been diagnosed today with aspergers . I am awaiting paperwork through the post but is there anything anyone can tell me as to what to expect with my son as he grows up and can I get any financial help? As I am now classed a carer and single parent to 4 children and unable to return into work. Thankyou x

Welcome. Just to let you know it's good that you got your son diagnosed, I was diagnosed at the same age and now I'm 21 and more or less capable of living a normal life, at least as soon as I get the Goddess-damned funds to move out of my parents basement :lol:. So don't despair or anything, it's quite possible with some early social skills intervention that he'll grow up to be able to be an independent and productive member of society.

(Which I WILL be... eventually :lol: )

That said, may I ask what inspired your username? There's a word that is similar to that, traceur, its used to describe a practioner of urban free-running, aka le arte du parkour. I happen to be a parkour enthusiast and so I thought you might be as well.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Traceyr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Nov 2012, 2:27 am

Thankyou so very much for making me feel very welcome to the site. I will most definatly take a look at the links posted. I live in the u.k :) my username is my first name and the first character from my surname x

helles
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 1:13 pm

Welcome to WP

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 2:46 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage