Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 9:02 pm

www.cinemablend.com/games/Lots-Linux-Us ... 49121.html

www.cinemablend.com/games/Diablo-3-Nail ... 48680.html

Excerpt from the first article:

Quote:
We previously reported on the Linux bans when they first occurred back in July, we did follow-ups with some of the Linux users who talked openly and honestly about their accounts and they even offered Blizzard to take a look at their machines, something that happened once again when more Linux users came to us for help after claiming that they had been wrongly banned. We even went as far as talking to a Blizzard rep about the bans, requesting on behalf of the Linux users if they could at least look into the matter, but Blizzard never got back with us or the banned users.

Today, however, PlayOnLinux moderated a new thread to help collect and systematically breakdown some of the bans happening, and as you can see, the thread is growing quite large, quite fast.

Additionally, even more Linux users who were hit with the ban-hammer have taken to the WineHQ forums, where you can see a number of other people coming forward about being perma-banned.

Most of the Linux users haven't received a response or the response they did receive was an automated message or a purposed misdirection to keep them going in circles. None of them have reported any sort of resolve, just like the previous Linux cases we've covered here at Gaming Blend.

Excerpt from the second article:

Quote:
It's not really possible to know how many people were specifically affected but we do know that those who were affected were not only shortchanged on a gameplay experience but also cutoff from any sort of customer resolution, as outlined in the original articles.

Blizzard avoided personally dealing with the Linux users, and instead sent out automated responses. Just part of the epic fail that is always-on DRM: If you get banned and you want to appeal it (even to play the game in single-player mode) you can't, and you can't even get a refund.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 9:28 pm

Hope they band together and go the class action lawsuit route. Hopefully would spread more awareness as to the evil that is DRM.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 1:19 am

Like I said a zillion times before, you have to be REALLY CRAZY to play today's (2006-2012) games. (unless you like to get ripped off and threated like s**t)

I suggest looking for free indie games, abandonware or emulator-games. (or create your own game)

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 10:52 am

This is why I sitll like my old ps2 games no drm really and I can still keep playing them. Although where will I find controllers.

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 3:11 pm

Minimum System Requirements
Windows® XP/Vista/7/8 (latest service packs) with DX 9.0c
Mac® OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.x or newer*

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 6:04 pm

kra17 wrote:

lol, are you serious? My burner/disc reader for my PC says Windows-only, on the box, as well. Does that mean that the manufacturer has the right to somehow ban me from using it, just because I won't use it under Windows? No, it doesn't. Same thing with games. And EULA's aren't even legal in the EU, so that is absolutely no argument (it tends to be, often, from those who argue for these corrupt companies, so I thought I just would throw that in there). Blizzard aren't just morally corrupt, but they also are breaking the law. If they aren't in the U.S., they ARE elsewhere.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 9:59 pm

I find that bizarre, If a game works just fine on an operating system without modifying the game itself in any way then what is the problem exactly?

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 1:25 am

Beauty_pact wrote:
kra17 wrote:

lol, are you serious? My burner/disc reader for my PC says Windows-only, on the box, as well. Does that mean that the manufacturer has the right to somehow ban me from using it, just because I won't use it under Windows? No, it doesn't. Same thing with games. And EULA's aren't even legal in the EU, so that is absolutely no argument (it tends to be, often, from those who argue for these corrupt companies, so I thought I just would throw that in there). Blizzard aren't just morally corrupt, but they also are breaking the law. If they aren't in the U.S., they ARE elsewhere.

I meant more like the "Blizzard avoided personally dealing with the Linux users, and instead sent out automated responses."-part. Why would they have to provide support for people that don't meet the minimum reqs?

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 1:47 am

Banning customers from using their products where they paid for is called THEFT.

f**k Blizzard.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 3:30 pm

Blizzard should be supporting Linux like how Valve is supporting Linux. Valve is taking the big step here while Blizzard is taking a giant backwards step. Linux users need to band together and force Blizzard to support Linux.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 4:49 pm

kra17 wrote:
I meant more like the "Blizzard avoided personally dealing with the Linux users, and instead sent out automated responses."-part. Why would they have to provide support for people that don't meet the minimum reqs?

Agreed. While (if they gave it some thought) it'd probably be in their interests (especially given Microsoft's withdrawal from the home computer OS market) to engage with people using Linux, they're under no obligation to provide support to people trying to use their game in an environment for which it wasn't intended.

The year is still young.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 1:32 am

Ambivalence wrote:
kra17 wrote:

Agreed. While (if they gave it some thought) it'd probably be in their interests (especially given Microsoft's withdrawal from the home computer OS market) to engage with people using Linux, they're under no obligation to provide support to people trying to use their game in an environment for which it wasn't intended.

It isn't about them *not supporting* those who use Linux - it is about them *actively* making sure that they cannot play the game. What is so hard to understand with this? This is nothing else but fraud.

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 9:17 am

Beauty_pact wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
kra17 wrote:

It isn't about them *not supporting* those who use Linux - it is about them *actively* making sure that they cannot play the game. What is so hard to understand with this? This is nothing else but fraud.

It's not about them actively making sure that they cannot play the game if their DRM and anti-cheat doesn't work properly with Wine (something that they do NOT support)
It isn't fraud, they own your account and can shut it down whenever they want.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 9:28 am

Like I always say: there is nothing a little old-fashioned assassination cannot solve.

Not that I care; I never saw the appeal of Blizzard's games: they either involve incessant grinding or traditional RTS gameplay. Nothing new about them.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

quux
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2012, 6:17 am

I kind of get why they would systematically ban people that play their games on linux. I only know about the Starcraft community, but recently, there's been a big rise in hacks and such in Starcraft 2, so I'm guessing they just don't really want crackers to have too much room to screw around in.
From what I understand, adding support for any linux distribution will take a lot of time (and money) and linux gamers are a small market, so I suppose there wouldn't be much benefit for them to enter it (relative to the cost required for that), so they would rather snuff out linux gamers.
So their actions are indiscriminate, unjust and waay too extreme, probably because it's just another problem they don't want to deal with. Typical blizz brainpower.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 7:07 am

as i see it people are robbed of a service they paid for fair and square,

it has nothing to do with hackers, their games are so easy to hack that anyone on any platform that wants to can do so, partly because of their popularity.
it is childs play today with all the free cracker tools out there, incidently this is also why i refuse to pålay diablo 3 and other blizzard games with ties to a real economy.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.