Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

meems
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 10:20 am

Plodder wrote:
meems wrote:

Maybe it would benefit you to stop focusing on what other women are doing

Just because I spend five minutes of my time typing on a thread about makeup on the Internet doesn't mean I spend 100% of my time thinking about it.

I assure you I do not lie awake at night worrying about the fact that other women wear makeup. :lol: It really doesn't bother me at all. I just feel sorry for them because they lie to themselves about their real motives for doing it.

I am allowed to have my own opinions. Having an opinion does not make a person "judgmental" or "a dictator." And just because you don't like me pointing out the logical contradictions in your justifications for painting a mask on your face doesn't make it my fault. It's not my fault that you lie to yourself. You can carry on lying to yourself and getting angry for all I care. It really doesn't bother me. :wink:

Right, it really doesn't bother you, which is why you are being condescending and repeatedly telling me about your great insight into my mind. You are allowed to have your opinions, but you insist those opinions are fact when you're talking about a complete stranger.

Why do you describe my makeup as "painting a mask".

I'm tempted to post two photos, one where I'm wearing makeup and one where I'm not. I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to tell the difference ..

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 1:10 pm

meems wrote:

Right, it really doesn't bother you, which is why you are being condescending and repeatedly telling me about your great insight into my mind. You are allowed to have your opinions, but you insist those opinions are fact when you're talking about a complete stranger.

Please do not take it so personally. I am not talking about you and you alone. I was referring to all ladies who wear makeup.

Quote:
Why do you describe my makeup as "painting a mask".

Because that's what it is. Makeup is a layer of paint applied over your real features to hide them from the world. In other words, a mask.

Quote:
I'm tempted to post two photos, one where I'm wearing makeup and one where I'm not. I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to tell the difference ..

In that case, why bother wearing any?

This is all getting a bit off-topic now. It was supposed to be discussing why men don't wear makeup, rather than why ladies do. :)

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 1:31 pm

I used to wear make-up when I was in college. Then I joined the marching band, and the make-up wearing went right out the window. There's no feeling more disgusting than make-dripping down with the sweat on your face. :?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 1:47 pm

http://www.askmen.com/daily/austin_60/9 ... style.html

According to this, there are some men, now called metrosexuals, that do wear makeup.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 1:57 pm

[img][800:805]http://sleevage.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/poison-lookwhatthecatdraggedin-back.jpg[/img]

For those who don't remember the 80's.... :lol:

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 3:51 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
[img][800:805]http://sleevage.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/poison-lookwhatthecatdraggedin-back.jpg[/img]

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! !! !!

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 7:15 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:

I used to have that on cassette. I remember the 80s. I like men like that but with a bit less make-up and hairspray and longer hair.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2012, 7:31 pm

I find the question a little strange...no one has to wear makeup. Although I think I understand what you mean...

meems
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 11:23 pm

Plodder wrote:

Because I like it, even if other people can't usually see it. Because it's for me..

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 4:16 am

You don't HAVE to wear make up. I mean, I wear NO makeup most of the time, and if I do it's lip gloss and eyebrow liner filler thingy. Mostly if I do wear it, it's to impress others or to make myself feel better and sexy :)

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 12:13 pm

As shown here, many if not most wear it for themselves, not for others. And then theres the select few that wear it to be better than others. Men dont wear it because its not a manly thing to do

AProudHillbilly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2012, 12:23 pm

Plodder wrote:
These are the only GENUINE reasons for wearing makeup that occur to me:

1. To enhance your beauty and attract men
2. To enhance your beauty and compete with other women over who is the prettiest
3. Because society says you "must"
4. Because you have some terrible scar or discoloration or extreme acne that you wish to conceal.

Number four.

I accept PMs from females only. Sorry. Personal convictions.

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Nov 2012, 1:07 pm

Plodder wrote:
These are the only GENUINE reasons for wearing makeup that occur to me:

1. To enhance your beauty and attract men
2. To enhance your beauty and compete with other women over who is the prettiest
3. Because society says you "must"
4. Because you have some terrible scar or discoloration or extreme acne that you wish to conceal.

Women wear makeup for the same reason people wear nice clothes and style their hair: to look well-presented. Because you want to look nice for a date, or "going out", or for work, or for whatever other reason you want to look nice. Maybe you just like looking well-groomed. Men don't usually wear mascara and lipstick and all that, but they shave or trim their beards, put mousse or gel in their hair, use moisturizer, etc. Why, exactly, is this a problem?

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 1:08 pm

About the gender identification thing, I know the two sexes have different shapes. But the pretend signals do often accentuate features that are there. Like nipped in waists on women's dresses.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 10:33 am

meems wrote:
Plodder wrote:

Because I like it, even if other people can't usually see it. Because it's for me..

But what about it do you like? Do you enjoy the physical sensation of having it on your face? Do you enjoy the action of putting it on, or what? I'm not asking you because I feel you need to justify your actions for my satisfaction, but rather because I really don't understand. I mean, what's there to like, especially if nobody can tell the difference anyway?

Also, I bet I could tell the difference. Maybe not from a photograph, but up close, I'd be able to tell.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 10:37 am

Plodder wrote:
This is all getting a bit off-topic now. It was supposed to be discussing why men don't wear makeup, rather than why ladies do. :)

Perhaps you'd get more answers to that if it wasn't posted in the women's discussion.