Were there any major changes after finishing high school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 6:17 pm

...or as they're known here, secondary schools. By major changes, I mean, in your personality... not simply external life (i.e., it's obvious that one can either go to college or stay at home, as education isn't mandatory at this point)... but did anyone notice their psyche changing, by any chance? (Possibly for the worse.)

Dannyboy271
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2012, 6:43 pm

Yeah, I've found it's really unhealthy to stay home and do nothing. When you pretend like you don't have much to live for, you kinda go insane. Trying to get outa the house! YAH!! ! And tryin to go to college! YEAH!!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 8:28 pm

It took only a week to pack up and get away from there!

Nothing but the dead and dying back in my little town.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 8:59 pm

No I did not immediately after. I did not change that much. I still think mostly the same.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 9:08 pm

I changed drastically after high school. Part of that was maturity, part of it was a change in priorities. But I'm very glad I did change. Basically during high school, I made a conscious decision that I was tired of my poor social skills and nonexistent social life, so I essentially sought to completely change who I was, and emulate those who were more popular and social than I was. I did meet with varying degrees of success, I did end up with more friends and was going out a bit more. But at the same time, I no longer felt like myself, I was essentially just "pretending" in an effort to gain acceptance. So, after high school, I saw that I didn't like the path that I was heading down, and I completely abandoned it. Sure, it did cost me socially, but I have much more self-respect now and feel I am a much better person now because of it.

salem44dream
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 9:14 pm

I had a complete nervous breakdown in my freshman year of college. At the time, I didn't think it was my fault at all, and that everyone at the college I went to were just snobs. But it was the first time I was away from home for an extended period of time, so now I wonder if it was a mix of my Asperger's AND it being a snobby school.

Ryvandur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2012, 2:59 pm

It felt liberating at first, especially since my family gave me $1000 to start my life with. After a couple of weeks, though, I started to fall into depression as I began realizing that high school ended just as things were getting good. I had true friends for once. If I had met them all earlier, I would have found my way into that geek social circle where they all treated each other like family. I realized all the things I missed out on, things that I might never have another chance to do because I'm an adult now.

Fortunately, I managed to get in contact with most of my friends within the next month. A year later I got my license and a car, which allowed me to plan the occasional meetup with them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 3:51 pm

Yes instead of things 'getting better' they got progressively worse.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2012, 10:15 pm

I got to be more myself after high school. Nobody around to make fun of me. I started just listening to girly eurobeat 24/7, as nobody was around to make fun of me for it. Also, I started getting a lot more physically active and in better shape, eating better, etc, after high school.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2012, 10:35 pm

I remember a lot of people trying to "deliberately" change their personalities after high school but before college. I went to a private out-of-state university, so that may also have been part of it. Nonetheless, freshman orientation seemed merely a big drama, everyone trying to out-impress one another. All the world a stage, etc, etc. Not a good start for a year of supposed changes and discovery. You're supposed to find friends, discover yourself, etc, etc. Not feel horrible since you can't put on a persona.

Unsurprisingly I have forgotten, or try to forget, huge chunks of freshman year of college.

AtypicalFox
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Nov 2012, 2:03 am

After highschool ended, I took it as my cue to explore my social boundaries.
I felt freer and limitless being away from family and a lot of people I've always known.
I've taken into activism and dancing and just experimenting with a lot of things I've always admired from afar.

..Personality wise, I'm still fundamentally socially awkward and fun.