Nailed it. Short video on sensory overload, worth watching.

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 1:33 am

I had to close it halfway through. It was too much.

If the goal was to highlight what it feels like; mission accomplished.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 2:26 am

Yeah, I forced myself to watch the whole thing and endure it. Even now, an hour later, I'm still a little stressed out and tensed up... skin feels tingly too >.<

I get that they needed to use cartoons for this, some of the aspects of the sensory overload they are trying to highlight would have been prohibitively expensive to use real lifelike video with CG to illustrate.

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2012, 6:18 am

Sanctus wrote:
Speaking about autism simulations, what do you think about this?
It's fascinating for me how quiet the world apparently is for NTs (first half of the video).

This video is good too, quite close to what I experience when walking down the street. I laughed when the distraction part came up - is this not normal?

I've only realised in the past few months that I experience the world so differently. Being sensitive is good and bad. HD vision? Good! Quiet office? WTF are you talking about?!

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 6:49 am

btbnnyr wrote:
The other issue with this video is that the sounds are ackshuly not that bad compared to the overwhelming horror of the many noises all together in one big disgusting jumble. Someone mentioned earlier that their eggsperience is much moar jumbled. That is so for me too. Compared to what I hear, I would rather hear the not so bad stuff in the video. The sounds in the video are too clear and good. They are just loud, that's the main problem. In reality, the problem is worse than loudness and lots of noises for me. It is all the noises at the same time in the big disgusting jumble that shuts down my brain. The video really doesn't get across the jumble.

This is my experiance me as well.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 9:35 am

shyengineer wrote:
Sanctus wrote:
Speaking about autism simulations, what do you think about this?
It's fascinating for me how quiet the world apparently is for NTs (first half of the video).

Yes, that video was posted before and as I remember it had a lot of positive responses then, too. I certainly found it very interesting.

shyengineer wrote:
I laughed when the distraction part came up - is this not normal?

No, it's really not. Sorry. :) Most people (myself included) do not notice every drain and cigarette butt on the ground. Now, I can of course notice that stuff if I'm looking for it, but that would be a conscious choice.

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2012, 10:36 am

FMX wrote:
No, it's really not. Sorry. :) Most people (myself included) do not notice every drain and cigarette butt on the ground. Now, I can of course notice that stuff if I'm looking for it, but that would be a conscious choice.

Interesting... does anyone have any good information on sensory overload and what causes it? I've had a bit of a search but I can't find anything concrete.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 11:08 am

League_Girl wrote:
I think everyone can hear all those sounds (except for florescent lights unless they have good hearing too) but they don't get overwhelmed by them because their minds can handle it all. So can I. I am not that sensitive. I may not always hear all those sounds because other sounds drone out those little ones like feet tapping or drinks pouring or fans going. Can autistic people can hear all those sounds even if there were other noises that are louder than those other sounds that are quieter?

I can. Although some noises that are loud enough to drown out others, the others are still there. They may not register consciously until the louder noises are either reduced or stop, but my subconscious registers all of them. I'm sure everyone with normal hearing can hear them all, but is't not the hearing of them that counts. It's the ability to filter through all of them, even if some of them aren't consciously obvious, and focus only on those that really matter at the moment. So much can be going on it's like trying to find that "needle in a haystack" among all the other noises around us. There's can be so much noise, and even other sensory crap going on, that a normal person can filter through by ignoring most of them, that I sometimes can't no matter how hard I try.

At home, and because I'm the adult in the house, I can control most of the sensory input. Out in a city, I can't. At home I just shut things off, make the kids take whatever noisy toys they're using into another room, and limit the amount of crap I have to filter. Out in the world, I can't do that, so the only option I have when it gets overwhelming is to remove myself from the environment. This kind of thing is definitely one of the primary reasons so many of us choose to isolate ourselves.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 1:55 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
The other issue with this video is that the sounds are ackshuly not that bad compared to the overwhelming horror of the many noises all together in one big disgusting jumble. Someone mentioned earlier that their eggsperience is much moar jumbled. That is so for me too. Compared to what I hear, I would rather hear the not so bad stuff in the video. The sounds in the video are too clear and good. They are just loud, that's the main problem. In reality, the problem is worse than loudness and lots of noises for me. It is all the noises at the same time in the big disgusting jumble that shuts down my brain. The video really doesn't get across the jumble.

Yeah..... they do get more jumbly in real life.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 10:27 am

I can't say I've ever experienced the world like that before, but it is very interesting.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 12:48 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

Yeah..... they do get more jumbly in real life.

I didn't notice it wasn't jumbly because it was jumbly for me when I watched it. It is really mild overload that its showing though, not a bad one.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 10:26 pm

Wow, I am an Aspie and I never experienced anything like this. When I walk around outside I usually hear nothing. Unless I am actively trying to hear something, usually I don't , unless it is very loud and unexpected.