Are you embarrassed or ashamed about having Asperger's?

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 9:54 pm

Are you embarrassed or ashamed about having Asperger's?

Last edited by Jitro on 17 Nov 2012, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 9:55 pm

Neither.

I just know that there are many people who will treat me like crap if they ever found out, so I keep it to myself.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Chaos_Epoch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2012, 9:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
Neither.

I just know that there are many people who will treat me like crap if they ever found out, so I keep it to myself.

This... I don't blame them either.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 9:59 pm

Chaos_Epoch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Neither. I just know that there are many people who will treat me like crap if they ever found out, so I keep it to myself.

You don't blame them for wanting to treat me like crap?

:hmph:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Chaos_Epoch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2012, 10:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
Chaos_Epoch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Neither. I just know that there are many people who will treat me like crap if they ever found out, so I keep it to myself.

You don't blame them for wanting to treat me like crap?

:hmph:

no... us. I don't blame them for treating us like crap.

I hate this thing.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 10:05 pm

not ashamed of it at all-I have seen some be embarrassed by like they will somehow be less of a person-but I do not see it too often

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Nov 2012, 10:12 pm

Not embarrassed, but definitely ashamed a bit. I don't really tell people. The people I know don't know what it is.

So I don't tell them. They don't know. I don't have to explain. Win = Win?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 10:21 pm

I'm not embarrassed or ashamed about it. I embrace and celebrate my AS.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 10:24 pm

There are two people--other than my parents--that I will tell about my having Asperger's, and that's it. I'm not so much ashamed as I am a bit upset by it. I know I can't help having it, but I'm already hard on myself. This is going to make it worse.

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2012, 10:26 pm

I used to be but thanks to it I have a job I love (they hired me knowing for that facted really) I am treated way beyond better then the other people on my pay grade and pick or the projects I get. Plus there is way more things to be embarrassed about.

The_Postmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2012, 10:33 pm

I used to be petrified of the idea that anyone would find out I had AS. Honestly, over the last few months I've overcome that fear. I embrace AS; I'm no longer ashamed. I don't go around holding a sign up that says "I'm autistic," but I haven't been concealing it lately, either. Whenever anyone remarks on my eccentricities, or compliments me on my intellect, I'll volunteer the information. No one seems to treat me any differently. I've joined my school's autism awareness club, as well. I thought it would be good for the group to (if they don't already, and I think they might) have an actual aspie.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 11:04 pm

Yes. Ashamed, no.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

sisugirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2012, 11:08 pm

I am almost 60 years old and needless to say I spent most of my life not knowing about Asperger's and trying to act NT though I didn't know that was what I was trying to do. Alot of people tried to shame me when I made a "social mistake" and I started doing that myself. When my husband and I had a son with Aspergers he would use Aspergers at as an insult when he was angry with us. He is sorry for this now and doesn't do it anymore, but my son has alot of trouble accepting his Aspergers. I believe all those years of living with the shame have caused me to battle with severe depression which gets worse as I get older. If young people can accept and with their Aspergers I believe they can avert alot of mental health problems.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 11:17 pm

Nope! I was did not like myself at all BEFORE knowing I had autism, because I did not know WHY I was so different and seemingly hated by everyone. Now that I know my oddities and difficulties are not my fault, I am much more at peace with myself.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Chaos_Epoch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2012, 11:18 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
Nope! I was did not like myself at all BEFORE knowing I had autism, because I did not know WHY I was so different and seemingly hated by everyone. Now that I know my oddities and difficulties are not my fault, I am much more at peace with myself.

I wish I could be at peace.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 11:33 pm

I used to be embarrassed and terrified about it.

I quit putting so much effort into trying to be socially perfect, when it led to depression, unhealthy weight loss, suicidal ideation, and severe OCD. On top of all of that, I made a social mistake that spiraled out of control and resulted in a loss of friendship and an unfair blemish on my character.

I realized that if I hadn't tried to be so perfect to begin with (because I had something to hide) than I would be much happier.

So, in theory I'm not, but in practice I'm still learning.

I try to get an adrenaline rush out of showing my autism instead of an embarrassing flush....oh well.