Find it easier to talk to girls than other guys

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Einschmidt
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2012, 12:33 am

I heard this is common for guys with AS. Does anyone else have this?

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2012, 12:47 am

You know what...sometimes, it's true for me. When I've seen a psychologist in the past, I've definitely preferred it was a woman and asked as such when it was a viable option. During my assessment last week, I was incredibly thankful it was a female psychologist...I just don't think I could have possibly gotten comfortable talking about any of the symptoms with another male. I can also read women's facial expressions easier too...I feel like they're more emotionally energetic and there's less gray area. Two things that might suggest it's not or only partially ASD related in my case: 1.) I grew up with three sisters and 2.) My Dad and I have had a contentious relationship forever, but especially since he moved out when I was 14.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 5:02 am

I have tried making more friends with guys, but I can't get past the hello, how are you, type greetings. I have at least 3 male friends at work, that happened to stay when I was talking. Most of the time I find it easier to make small talk with women in general, maybe it is because of their job to be nice. I never know.

Seen that movie: I Love You, Man (2009) ?
Some of me in there.

oliverthered
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 3:53 pm

I have almost exclusivity female friends and the guy friends I do have are scattered all over the world

Thewrongone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2012, 4:27 pm

Same here. It's lot easier to talk with female friends than male. I'm not sure what's the reason but talking with male friends lot of the times goes to some subject which I'm not interested in.

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 9:47 pm

For me, the first steps are easier with girls. I don't really have an explanation, either. My impression is that girls are often more friendly and communicative.

Beyond a certain level, it gets awkward, though.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 10:33 pm

I'm quite the opposite. I'm an aspie male who prefers the company of other men. That doesn't mean I don't like talking to women, it's just that I have an easier time with men. It could be because I'm gay and am pretty man-hungry a lot. :lol:

Cordo
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2012, 11:06 pm

Descartes wrote:
I'm quite the opposite. I'm an aspie male who prefers the company of other men. That doesn't mean I don't like talking to women, it's just that I have an easier time with men. It could be because I'm gay and am pretty man-hungry a lot. :lol:

That's funny because I'm gay(ish?) and I'm the opposite of you even though I'm rather "man hungry", as you say.

I typically have always gravitated towards females for company because they've traditionally been nicer to me than males. Also, as someone said previously, woman are much easier to read emotionally (their faces are like open books to me), unlike males who tend to not have any emotions when I speak with them which always makes me think they are mad at me or that they do not like me. Also, the types of conversations me and women enjoy vary greatly, so that may also affect the gender you are more gravitated to.

And the last thing I have to say about this is that you may want to consider the person's age when you talk with them. Maybe you are turned off from speaking to males because the males your age discuss things that you simply aren't interested in, in which case don't be afraid to consider talking with someone older such as a valued teacher/professor or a considerate religious leader.

Hopefully that helps!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 11:44 pm

Cordo wrote:
Descartes wrote:

That's funny because I'm gay(ish?) and I'm the opposite of you even though I'm rather "man hungry", as you say.

Interesting...but we're all different.

I guess whom I prefer to talk to gender-wise isn't as clear-cut as I've made it out to be. It's just that, based on experience, I feel less awkward talking to males.

frohman2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2012, 4:44 am

I find it somewhat easier to talk to females over males, but I won't have any major restrictions on who I'd speak to based on gender.
My best friend, who I have known for at least four years is female. It's a bit hard, as I find her attractive, and actually kinda like her.
I wouldn't go any further than a friendship. She's my friend, and I don't want to risk destabilizing the friendship too much.
Her personality is just too different from mine in some ways, but I relate to her with other traits.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2012, 4:57 am

I definitely find girls easier to talk to. On the whole they tend to talk more, and will go off on tangents with conversation. Guys will tend to answer questions and not elaborate, which makes it harder to keep a conversation going. Women also tend to be more expressive, so it's easier to read their facial expressions and body language. I find guys really hard to read.

FunkMasterMike
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2012, 6:12 am

Talking to girls is very easy...on a conversation level. :)
But when it comes to actually getting to the next step, (girlfriend) I have no luck.

madnak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2012, 8:18 am

I go back and forth. There are things I like and dislike about talking to either sex.

Destidude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2012, 10:16 am

I too find it easier talking to girls than to other guys.

Women tend to be more socially astute. In most cases, they are more verbose, expressive and willing to indulge in conversation about varying topics. This is almost certainly due to some combination of an innate gender hallmarks, rearing and sociocultural factors.

On the other hand, I find men tend to be less into conversations that go beyond jokes, shallow cultural references and their own personal interests (e.g. sports, video games, TV shows, gadgets). Most guys I know rarely ask questions of another and, when they answer, it's often the bare facts as required on some clinical form. Is it just not manly to be adept with discussion? Maybe some guys think it's kind of gay to have a one-on-one chat with another but then I don't see homophobic guys being all that great at talking to women either. Also, it's not like there aren't masculine intellectuals who like to talk to other guys - there are just fewer of them. And I think some guys really are just conversationally incompetent.

Several years ago, I remember speaking to women from dating sites - many indicated a common thread of imbecilic guys incapable of uttering anything beyond sexual innuendos. While I'm a far ways off from being a social butterfly, compared to these guys I was an amazing conversationalist. As a teen I was terrified of women but, as I got older, I practiced. I was motivated to get good at speaking and, more importantly, listening to women and I think I acquired good skills from those experiences. Those experiences are part of the reason it's usually easier for me to interact to girls than guys. The downside of that is that my wife often accuses me of flirting.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 2:37 pm

Definitely not the case for me. Any friendships I have formed in my life have been all male. I've had a few female acquaintances, but none I would class as a true friendship. I'm actually alright with talking to females older than I am, but when it comes to those my own age I'm more socially useless than usual. Think its just due to lack of experience. Both have their negative gender tendencies so I don't favor either.

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 4:38 pm

Nearly all of my friends have been male. I thought girls were annoying and boring and I avoided them until i was 15 when I had my first crush. But, I wasn't even able to get girls to talk to me when I first started trying. I had the nerve to talk to them, but they did not talk back. It took me a few years to figure it out, and now I'm quite pleased with myself at being able to start conversations with women at will. Getting them to date me is a bit harder of course.

I saw somebody say that men only talk about shallow cultural references and sports. I think that stuff is boring and I don't know how to talk about it. My friendships were always based either on doing things (like video games or sports) or talking about nerdy things like math. I did not like talking when I was younger and when I was with people I always wanted to do things, like how a puppy has an inexhaustible desire for play, and I think it often tired everybody else out. That's probably why I thought girls were boring, because all the girls I knew from elementary school just sat around talking during recess. I thought they were annoying because I found the pitch of a young girl's laugh unpleasant, like fingernails on a chalkboard.