Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sam-hinch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2012, 4:04 pm

I am currently undiagnosed with Aspergers, going for a diganosis in April next year. I come from the UK and just wondered what kind of support you can get if you get a diagnosis?

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2012, 4:10 pm

Hi, I'm in the same situation as you. I've been looking online but can't find anything really in the way of support for UK adults, so I'd be interested if anyone comes up with any suggestions.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 4:23 pm

I don't think there is much help for anyone over 16. I was diagnosed at 19 and I haven't been given any help, support or advice. It's really frustrating.

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 4:36 pm

Zilch.

:(

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2012, 4:41 pm

I have a support worker from Mind, I've been seeing an occupational therapist, I'm seeing the Adult Autism team for a diagnosis, and I've seen someone from Autism Matters who is going to help me apply for a personal budget so that I can go to their social group and get the activities paid for. I'm also going to get help with applying for DLA soon. I'm doing a course for people with Asperger's at the moment, which is about setting up your own business, it's only for five weeks but the course leaders give you more support and advice afterwards.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2012, 4:47 pm

I've joined a social group run by the National Autistic Society.

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2012, 5:42 pm

I would not hold my breath...they don't have much support for people with AS in the UK...some area's might be lucky and have some kind of support group....but from what i have heard they are few and far between....you tend to just get fobbed off with a lot of excuses of having no money for support.....in my case for yrs they have done nothing to help me overcome some of my issues with AS.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 6:06 pm

All I've had is a social care assessment from social services and a support group run by NAS.

Other than that, there's nothing. There's not even anyone in my area who can fully diagnose adults. :x

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2012, 6:21 pm

You are right!....it is a sad state of affairs in the UK for people like us..they don't seem to give a dam about people with AS
they have a bunch of Mental health doctors..that by the way no jack s**t about AS ..and have not even got the training to deal with Autism that are trying to tackle the problem..and failing to help people with AS in the right way! :(

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2012, 7:08 pm

I notice that here in the U.S. as well. If your a child, there are Parent/Child Support, Phds lined up to evaluate kids, school programs for assessment. For Adults? Oh, well you don't have educational grants do you? No? Well that'll be $1,700.00 for a diagnosis. That's IF you can even get an appointment or find someone qualified.

Last edited by ravenloft68 on 18 Nov 2012, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2012, 7:09 pm

I suspect I have high-functioning, mild AS.

The doctor referred me in April 2011. By autumn I was told he had referred me to the wrong department. Nothing was done to correct it. I got a letter in December about my first appointment in March-ish and ended up wasting time with the wrong person. They thought I was there for ADHD testing. Very annoying. I went to my doctor recently and told him this was a waste of time and I had been waiting for nothing. He told me he will refer me again to a psychologist (who would also help me with my anxiety issues, too). So, I'm waiting on that.

I've been messed around by unprofessional staff and the whole mess has made me wonder whether it's even worth it. What if I do get to see this psychologist and I end up being told I'm 'too mild' to have AS or anything else?? It puts me back at square one and will make me deeply, deeply unhappy and angry. On top of that I also have a mother who thinks I can "overcome" everything and just "think about going to some workshop or something."

I just need that diagnosis so I have that backup support. The whole reason I want it is because I'm a jobseeker. I've had miserable experiences socially at school and university, which made everything so much more uncomfortable and difficult. There's a strong possibility this will happen at the workplace, too. I've also been told I need that medical proof if I have a task I have massive difficulties with and need some kind of adjustments from my employer.

Overall, though, I feel the NHS (because of cuts and budgets and having to deal with sooo many people) aren't that great for support. I've been waiting all this time and NOTHING has happened. Not even a letter explaining anything. The whole thing is SOO frustrating.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 6:18 am

I was once told by a GP that I don't need a diagnosis. I have a friend who is a GP (not mine, unfortunately) who is on the spectrum. He said that as an adult, you have just as much right as a child to be diagnosed. The Autism Act 2009 states this.

I was screened by a psychiatrist and later found out he couldn't diagnose me. When I asked who could, he said "I don't know". :roll: I spoke to a GP (not the one mentioned above) who admitted he doesn't know (he's a trainee) and will find out for me.

NorwichAspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Nov 2012, 6:43 am

The UK is s**t for aspergers support. We have a government that would rather spend money on pandering to immigrants and giving away vast sums of money for overseas aid all out of the taxpayers pocket.

I am going to personally name and shame my mental health link worker as a .

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2012, 7:19 am

There's DLA, but you need to have care needs, like not being able to cook a meal or go out unsupervised.
Support groups, but they're rarely "official" and can't offer practical support, just somewhere to go once a month and chat.
Social care, but again, you would need to have care needs.

I actually have less support since being diagnosed because now they know I'm not mentally ill I'm discharged from mental health services. So no more respite, support worker, arts and crafts etc.

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2012, 7:50 am

Google "Fairfield Care Partington" and you'll find Fairfield's website. They are a group who support me and others and they're really good. They're based in Manchester in the UK so that might not be helpful to some people. It's worth checking out though.