What do you do when you think people dislike you?

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 4:38 pm

I feel hurt when I know someone dislikes me. I know everyone can't like everyone, but because I've got low self-esteem, it is just hurtful for me to know that someone doesn't like me for whatever reason. I am not thick-skinned at all, I let things get to me too much.

I don't do anything about it though because I'm not the sort to hold grudges against people.

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2012, 5:19 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Let guilt overtake me avoid the person and go into shutdown mode!

Same here

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2012, 5:29 pm

This is interesting. I also have a hard time realising that someone doesn't like me and it seems to be like that for quite a few people around here. I wonder whether this might be some kind of Aspie thing. There are hardly any persons I dislike. Usually, I just don't care about them and I don't understand why they would be so emotional about me. It was just today that I was told someone really, really hates me. I never had anything to do with him. It is a mystery to me.

Yeah well, what I do if I am told someone dislikes me? I avoid them.

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 6:41 pm

little_black_sheep wrote:
This is interesting. I also have a hard time realising that someone doesn't like me and it seems to be like that for quite a few people around here. I wonder whether this might be some kind of Aspie thing. There are hardly any persons I dislike. Usually, I just don't care about them and I don't understand why they would be so emotional about me. It was just today that I was told someone really, really hates me. I never had anything to do with him. It is a mystery to me.

When a person acts in an unfriendly manner, doesn't smile, stares or glares at you, makes it very hard to talk to them, generally avoids you and doesn't speak to you unless forced to by you talking to them or because they need something off you, then it's reasonable to assume they don't like you. Are these all signs that you don't pick up?

urbanpixie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Dec 2012, 6:44 pm

nessa238 wrote:
I'm far more used to being disliked than liked so if a person likes me I feel quite uneasy as I'll be wondering what the catch is. So I'm on familiar territory with dislike and probably encourage it to a certain extent as it's my comfort zone lol

Exactly. I think this is what I was getting at in my post.

The funny thing is that I believe I'm a really good person, and I tend to like most people that I meet. I have some kind of disconnect with conveying to people how I actually feel about them and about myself.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 6:52 pm

urbanpixie wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
I'm far more used to being disliked than liked so if a person likes me I feel quite uneasy as I'll be wondering what the catch is. So I'm on familiar territory with dislike and probably encourage it to a certain extent as it's my comfort zone lol

Exactly. I think this is what I was getting at in my post.

The funny thing is that I believe I'm a really good person, and I tend to like most people that I meet. I have some kind of disconnect with conveying to people how I actually feel about them and about myself.

I think I'm a relatively good person myself but I'm also aware of my flaws and I'm too focused on the flaws in others too. People rarely come up to the standards of behaviour I expect of others.

In a way this is good as it means I don't accept behaviour off others that will be to my detriment but it also means I don't have many people to talk to. I'm invariably underwhelmed by most people and I sense they feel the same about me, for different reasons. We can't all be popular though so I can accept it.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

03 Dec 2012, 7:13 pm

Most people don't like me, so it's really not hard to be right most of the time.

I interact with them as little as possible. What else can you do? Confrontation is usually counterproductive.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 8:55 pm

There seems to be two recurring themes here that, as usual, make me feel much better about myself and grateful that WP exists.
1. Many of us don't seem to be able to tell if we're liked or not unless it's painfully obvious.
2. Many of us are avoidant when it's obvious that we're disliked.
I wasn't always this way. At first I just used to give people the benefit of the doubt. I'd judge myself for being paranoid and convince myself that stupid little comments were not directed at me. I think I know what passive aggressive means now (because unfortunately I've experienced so much of it). Passive aggressive used to just be an oxymoron that I didn't understand but now I think I get it and it seems to be the favourite weapon of NT's who want you to feel bad but without being able to directly confront them because they're being just subtle enough. It's like twisting an emotional and psychological knife in someone and they literally seem to enjoy it and get off on it and I've noticed this is 'ordinary' people.
I can be very quick witted and funny in response when I'm enjoying myself but as soon as I think something is in mean spirit my brain just shuts down. But after I've had enough I finally snap and try to talk to people calmly and openly but as others here have noticed people don't like this and it can actually just make things worse. They get angry, defensive or just deny everything right to your face. Despite my better judgement I've even been temporarily convinced that it was all me at times and that I'm paranoid and a bad person for starting trouble :(
There's that saying 'honesty is the best policy'. BS. I've been conditioned to an unhealthy avoidance. Most NT's love their subtle passive aggression so when you try to address something they can make you look crazy.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 9:21 pm

Dan_Undiagnosed wrote:
There seems to be two recurring themes here that, as usual, make me feel much better about myself and grateful that WP exists.
1. Many of us don't seem to be able to tell if we're liked or not unless it's painfully obvious.
2. Many of us are avoidant when it's obvious that we're disliked.
I wasn't always this way. At first I just used to give people the benefit of the doubt. I'd judge myself for being paranoid and convince myself that stupid little comments were not directed at me. I think I know what passive aggressive means now (because unfortunately I've experienced so much of it). Passive aggressive used to just be an oxymoron that I didn't understand but now I think I get it and it seems to be the favourite weapon of NT's who want you to feel bad but without being able to directly confront them because they're being just subtle enough. It's like twisting an emotional and psychological knife in someone and they literally seem to enjoy it and get off on it and I've noticed this is 'ordinary' people.
I can be very quick witted and funny in response when I'm enjoying myself but as soon as I think something is in mean spirit my brain just shuts down. But after I've had enough I finally snap and try to talk to people calmly and openly but as others here have noticed people don't like this and it can actually just make things worse. They get angry, defensive or just deny everything right to your face. Despite my better judgement I've even been temporarily convinced that it was all me at times and that I'm paranoid and a bad person for starting trouble :(
There's that saying 'honesty is the best policy'. BS. I've been conditioned to an unhealthy avoidance. Most NT's love their subtle passive aggression so when you try to address something they can make you look crazy.

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I have confronted them but as you say it's denial all the way with them. I see this as much about their cowardice as passive aggression and think they're pathetic. I know I'm a stronger person than the whole lot of them as I've had to be to tolerate what they do without killing one of them! I refuse to be a cliche newspaper headline - these people aren't worth it and will invariably get their comeuppance when they wind up one of their own kind as if there's one thing these cowards can't stand it's other people taking the p*** out of them. So they often get into fights and cancel each other out. This is called survival of the smartest. You can't fight them yourself, you just have to give a little inward cheer when their own kind take them down. :twisted:

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2012, 1:43 am

nessa238 wrote:

When a person acts in an unfriendly manner, doesn't smile, stares or glares at you, makes it very hard to talk to them, generally avoids you and doesn't speak to you unless forced to by you talking to them or because they need something off you, then it's reasonable to assume they don't like you. Are these all signs that you don't pick up?

I wish it would be so easy. In my experience people act friendly and smile at you and when you are gone they will tell the whole world how very much they dislike you.

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 2:40 am

It depends on the severity of it most the time I just shut down for days othertimes I lock myself away from everyone for months at a time and become a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikikomori .

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2012, 3:22 am

I ask myself what did I do wrong to upset them in anyway to not like me? I get very upset because I do have a habit of going out of my way to please people all the time and I do what they tell me to do, to be accepted is another thing as well. I sit for days on end figuring out what I did wrong whether I said something that was inappropriate, did I where the wrong clothes, did I act weird, did I not express the right emotion for the right situation then I get angrey and frustrated at myself for stuffing up even though I have no idea why that person just doesn't like me I always blame myself my phycologist is teaching me to stop blaming myself and that people are just that way and that it isn't me but the person who has the issue with me. I trying to accept that but I still feel its my fault even though its not.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 10:48 am

nessa238 wrote:

I wish it would be so easy. In my experience people act friendly and smile at you and when you are gone they will tell the whole world how very much they dislike you.

Some people do that but a lot more make it very clear they don't like me so we know where we stand straight away! Saves time I suppose! Lol

paddy26
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2012, 10:58 am

There must be a better way of coping with this other than avoiding them completely. Maybe its a simple misunderstanding the person don't understand how upset you are about it.

Maggot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2012, 1:57 pm

People don't like people in general, whether your NT or Aspergers. I hear lots of bitching about other people behind other peoples backs, the only thing different is that a person with Aspergers will say it to your face. That's what makes a person with Aspergers unpopular. People in general prefer to work with people who are personable and not focused on rules and regulations. I'm rules and principals driven, it gets me trouble but I'll stick to them regardless. f**k people who don't like you, there will always be them. If a person can sense that you're trying to please them they definitely won't like you as it is seen as meek and timid.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 2:07 pm

Maggot wrote:
People don't like people in general, whether your NT or Aspergers. I hear lots of bitching about other people behind other peoples backs, the only thing different is that a person with Aspergers will say it to your face. That's what makes a person with Aspergers unpopular. People in general prefer to work with people who are personable and not focused on rules and regulations. I'm rules and principals driven, it gets me trouble but I'll stick to them regardless. f**k people who don't like you, there will always be them. If a person can sense that you're trying to please them they definitely won't like you as it is seen as meek and timid.

I agree

It means that when parents bring you up to be polite and obliging towards other people they are actively making you a sitting target in terms of how the majority will treat you!