Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 12:17 am

I'm wondering if this would be a good job for me. Out of all people, it seems I get along best with older people, and elderly people are fun to talk to for me because I like hearing their stories and stuff. In a way the big long stories and stuff like that are more similar to my sorta ramblings. But, out of all people, I seem to get along best with older folks and foreigners.

Anyone else ever do this sort of work? I don't really want to do medical things or bathing them (I don't know if that's unavoidable, though, one place I'm looking at says supervision for that) but housework, cooking, running errands, etc, I think I'd be OK with doing. It's hard, as the job is a service oriented job, and I don't think I'd be good at service oriented stuff in general, but I get along well with older people compared to younger people by a large margin, so I don't know if it'd offset it or not.

Anyone else have any experience in something like this? How'd you like it?

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 8:41 am

I haven't personally. A friend of mine did, and she did not get to choose which people were in her care. IOW she was assigned rather difficult cases, in that the folks were morbidly obese. It required immense physical strength on her part, as well as an ability to "shrug off" the mostly bad tempers her clients expressed in the form of complaints. It was a tough job, but she liked it for awhile.Hope that helps.