Can you be racist and not even be aware of it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 5:30 am

I have seen quite a few people online who keep making racists posts and they are unable to quit. It also looked like to me they are not even aware they are being racist or why else would they keep on doing it? They never seem to learn their lesson either so it makes me think they must not be aware of it. I think some people just have racist minds so they are not aware they are being it. Do you think some people are not aware of their racism? Is it possible?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 7:14 am

I don't think "racist" is actually a very well-defined concept. There are at least three things it might mean:

1. "Racism" means "the belief that humans with different appearances are fundamentally different". In this sense, I don't think many Westerners are racist nowadays.

2. "Racism" means "relying on stereotypes based on appearances". Everyone does this to some extent, and so they should! After all, someone's appearance can provide a clue to their culture, and their culture can be relevant in deciding how to behave around them.

3. "Racism" means "benefiting from institutionalised discrimination based on appearance, and refusing to acknowledge it". Most privileged people are guilty of this.

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 7:51 am

Short answer: yes. Most are.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 9:37 am

You have your racists on both sides of the fence. Unfortunately, the minority of people who truly are racist give those people who aren't a very bad name. Try not to lump all of the "privileged people" into one mold; it isn't fair.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 10:32 am

Racism is also usually seen as "taboo" so people unfairly view it in extreme terms(i.e. someones either very racist or not racist at all).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 2:43 pm

noxnocturne wrote:
You have your racists on both sides of the fence. Unfortunately, the minority of people who truly are racist give those people who aren't a very bad name. Try not to lump all of the "privileged people" into one mold; it isn't fair.

Huh? How am I fitting them all into one mold? I said I have seen a few people who don't seem to be aware of they are and asked if it's possible if someone can be racist and not be aware of it. I never said in it all of them are that way because I mentioned I have seen quite a few people online who don't seem to be aware they are being it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 2:58 pm

No.

You can, however, be racist and ignorant. There's a fine line between the 2