If You Could Get Rid of Certain Social Rules...

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 3:04 am

If you had the power to eliminate particular social rules you don't enjoy or find annoying or confusing, what would they be? I'd get rid of the mandatory "how are you?" greeting; everybody knows that nobody really cares. I'd also get rid of small talk, it's stupid and a waste of time when people could be talking about something interesting that actually matters, not to mention it's super hard to do. I can't think of any more at the moment, but if i do I'll post them :)

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 3:31 am

First of all, I'd get rid of handshake. Then I'd consider clothing. I'd prefer more comfy and less clothing. Social rules like small talk doesn't mean much to me too.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 3:33 am

Oh yeah, the handshake is a good one. I'm never sure when I'm supposed to do it, and I always end up looking at the person's hand rather than their face, which I'm sure comes off as odd. Not to mention I just don't like touching strangers much, especially their hands, who knows what they've been touching?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 3:40 am

How about all of them?

Filipendula
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2012, 3:45 am

Right now, I'd get rid of birthday cards. Stupid office birthday cards which have to be signed by everyone even if they don't really know or much care about the person whose birthday it is. I seem to have to do one every other day at present (because other people on the team actually police it and look for people who still haven't signed) and it's a waste of time, energy, sincerity and, most of all, Trees!

I know this isn't really a major issue in terms of getting through life, but I hate being forced to be gushy and insincere and end up spending ages trying to think of something honest and meaningful to write in these blasted cards. I commented on this yesterday and the person next to me said that she thinks that thinking about it for longer makes it less sincere. What!?! :scratch: So now my thoughtful, personal messages to those I genuinely appreciate are suddenly shallow compared to someone who can just lob in a "Happy Birthday. Have a GREAT one and hope you get really drunk! Lol!" without even checking who the card is for first. :wall:

Bah Humbug!

RDOS Aspie score: 115/200; NT score: 79/200

CftxP
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2012, 3:47 am

Yeah.... I'd get rid of all of them, they're all fake gestures of false appreciation for the sake of politeness. I'd rather start out a new system of politeness that's actually real, if any of them could be tolerated, I'd just say the hug, those always feel good. :3

Filipendula
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2012, 3:55 am

CftxP wrote:
I'd rather start out a new system of politeness that's actually real, if any of them could be tolerated, I'd just say the hug, those always feel good. :3

BEAR HUGS!! :D

I wish humans had big paddy paws so we could do them properly.

RDOS Aspie score: 115/200; NT score: 79/200

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 4:43 am

I'd get rid of the one that says it's rude to ignore conversational overtures in favour of one's book.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 5:47 am

polite goodbyes, like "keep in touch", which translates to thanks, but no thanks.

Ensiferum
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Nov 2012, 6:50 am

Punishments for genuinely minor offenses.

Some moron started losing it when I forgot to great them in the shop, calling my manager. A few weeks she walked in and I greeted her and she ignored me, she was permanently added to the people I shun.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 6:59 am

btbnnyr wrote:
How about all of them?

Nonsense. There are some social rules that need to be strengthened, not done away with.

For example, what we really need is a "Don't talk with food in your mouth" to become far more important. There aren't many things I detest more than to be eating and see someone talking with food in their mouths.

This is one of the reasons why I greatly prefer to get my food to go and eat it by myself at home or at the office.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 9:01 am

I'd completely abolish talking. Using flash cards should be enough to communicate. Second, I would eliminate any kind of physical contact, from shaking hands to that disgusting bad habit of hugging.

Cinnamon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2012, 9:07 am

*Birthday and Christmas cards - but I already stopped sending those, actually.
*Birthdays altogether - except for children.
*Anniversaries. Fortunately my partner doesn't like those either. Neither of us remembers on which date we met etc.
*Hugs, apart from announced hugs with close loved ones.
*Kissing.
*Subjects that you are not supposed to ask about, like income, menstrual periods, diseases and their symptoms etc. (yeah okay, I like diseases - well, not to have them, but to learn about them.)
*Oh yes, dress codes and fashion rules. I'd love to walk around in fleece pyjamas all day.

Last edited by Cinnamon on 30 Nov 2012, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 9:10 am

Eliminate the ideas that women should not initiate relationships, ask for dates, pay for dates, propose marriage, and be the sole "bread-winners" in their families.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Cinnamon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2012, 9:14 am

Fnord wrote:
Eliminate the ideas that women should not initiate relationships, ask for dates, pay for dates, propose marriage, and be the sole "bread-winners" in their families.

I am a woman and I have eliminated that a long time ago, Fnord. And if I look at people I know a lot of other men and women have eliminated that role.
I prefer to be the one who decides which men I want. Don't like men coming up to me and trying all sorts of things that I am not interested in. Only the bread winner thing I have not yet managed. Maybe one day...

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 9:20 am

eric76 wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
How about all of them?

Nonsense. There are some social rules that need to be strengthened, not done away with.

For example, what we really need is a "Don't talk with food in your mouth" to become far more important. There aren't many things I detest more than to be eating and see someone talking with food in their mouths.

This is one of the reasons why I greatly prefer to get my food to go and eat it by myself at home or at the office.

eric, I agree with this one. We do need to have some social code of conduct. We can't eliminate them all.

To me, one thing I would put into place is this. If a person a offends person b then person b is allowed and encouraged to speak up. I would love for person b to tell person a what they did wrong, why, and how to correct. person a, IMHO, should not have to sit there and try to work it out himself. person a can't read person b's mind.

Here is another thing I desire. If person a wants something from person b or person a wants person b to do something then why can't person a ask person b?

For example, person a wants to know what time staples closes and wants person b to find out. This is how the convo goes.

a says: What time does staples closes?
b says: I do not know.
a (goes into a fit) and says Why don't you go find out. This is what I wanted from you.
b says You didn't state this. I can't read your mind.
a. says Why do I have to ask?
b. ???

This is how I would love the convo to go.
a says If you do not mind will you please go find out what time Staples closes?

b says sure, no problem. b types www.google.com in the search engine, types staples and then his city and state. He obtains the time staples closes.

b states the time staples closes

a says Thank You

b says You're welcome and if you need anything else please don't hesitate to ask.