Anyone else never get sensory overload.

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you have issues with sensory overload?
Yes I do. 72%  72%  [ 52 ]
No I don't. 28%  28%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 72

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 5:26 pm

I hear Aspies talking about sensory overload, but I never experience anything like that. Just curious if other Aspies also not have this sensory overload problem.

CftxP
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2012, 5:39 pm

Well, it's nothing like a mental breakdown for me personally. I don't know if you want my opinion since I'm a "cousin", not an Aspie (though the Psychologist told me I would be if I didn't have developmental delays and apparently if I was either classic Autism of AS - I'd be AS), but I am emotionally empathic and my sense of hearing is sometimes so much that I don't realize that someone's trying to communicate with me since I hear too much noise. This unfortunate mixture often leaves me paranoid to some degree and often, I'm surprised by the most ordinary of sounds. In addition to that, I get offended easily since I have barely an idea about whether or not there were cues used by someone else that would hint ambiguous meanings like sarcasm or the like. I also think too much and often, see too much into things. Most of the teachers that I've ever had either tell me or are frustrated with me since I over-analyze quite a bit. I also get bouts of anxiety and depression because of this, so yeah, I can say I've definitely had sensory overload though I'm not an Aspie, but a "cousin". :3

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2012, 11:29 am

mine only manifests when I'm otherwise stressed. I've also noticed that I do things like hide under the blanket even if I'm alone in my room if I'm texting someone who is trying to date me (which brings up complex emotions, way more than most NTs have I think for like, just potential dates) or take 4 or 5 showers in one day if I'm stressed and there's nowhere else private and quiet and consistent in stimuli that I can go. I guess it's more than controlled stimming calms me when I'm stressed than that I get overstimulated, but I suppose if you had a lot of strangers touching me while playing dubstep and cooking bacon (vegetarian, the smell makes me extremely ill) I'd probably run away...

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2012, 11:39 am

There isn't much that overloads me. Supermarkets are the real big one. But I've become quite adept at finding ways to cope and I get plenty of warning that the situation is becoming too much for me, so I can get out before I reach breaking point.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 11:57 am

I've never really had issues with sensory overload. This is one of the main reasons I sometimes doubt I have AS. When I am stressed, sounds do seem a bit harsher, but that's about it. I don't experience the overloads that other people here seem to experience.

I work in an automotive shop which can be quite loud. I do like to go to the locker room a couple times a day just to be somewhere quiet and be alone for a while, but I'm not sure if that's a response to being "overloaded" by all the noise.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

TonyHoyle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2012, 12:06 pm

I can get social overload - my brain just gives up with the social stuff and I just hide in a corner or leave. I don't think this counts as sensory overload so voted no.

When I'm not forced to interact with people I'm fine, so supermarkets are fine (up to a point) and high streets (again, up to a point). I absolutely hate crowds and will simply never go into the city at this time of year, no matter what the provocation - but probably that's not so unusual.

My favourite trick for dealing with crowds is earphones (playing suitably loud music so I don't have to listen to everyone talking loudly about their private life... why do people do that?) and sunglasses - partly because the winter sun is *really* uncomfortable and partly because it stops people trying to make eye contact.

nonames
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2012, 12:17 pm

I have changed environments and have had about 5-6 meltdowns/shutdowns just in the last months.

Before I lived a really quite life and I could usually clench my teeth and deal with it because later I had the rest of the day to myself. I could easily sleep or cover my ears, put headphones in, or escape the situation. Now that I can't, I'm one step from a shutdown 100% of the time. Before I was several steps away and it never got to the point were I shutdown.

I'm not quite sure what I was like as a kid though :( All I know is I was always angry and cried at school because I didn't like being there.

Maggot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2012, 2:10 pm

I get sensory overload on a daily basis, mostly from my children. I've a toddler who is very loud, so the home environment is the most stressful. There are many sources of noise, a phone ringing, doorbell, a couple of TV's, children asking questions, the list goes on. I can feel the tension building and usually get a sharp pain down my arm from stress.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 2:19 pm

I rarely get one. It's a matter of when things get too loud all of a sudden when things were quiet or quieter. Even a shrieking toddler can give me one I can't even read my book or play my game because of the noise they are making and I don't know when they are going to do it again. With my son, scolding him and threatening him to kick him out of my room helps, same as telling him if he wants a time out. I sometimes leave the room too after warning him I will leave if he doesn't stop screaming. My husband doesn't like what I do but it works most of the time.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Nesf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Dec 2012, 2:56 pm

I have a problem with noise, and a sudden noise makes me jump out of my skin. Noises often seem disproportionally loud to me, especially high pitched ones. I don't like crowded places like public transport and busy shops or supermarkets. I have no problem with lights except flickering ones and I have no problem with supermarkets apart from the fact that there are a lot of distractions.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

02 Dec 2012, 3:01 pm

I have trouble with visual sensory overload, but only minor issues with audio sensory overload (noises) -- probably in the NT range audio wise.

For example, I can't really drive in traffic. Everything moves too fast.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 3:03 pm

As a child, I was constantly overloaded and didn't tolerate changes in my environment well. I hated going to other people's houses or even into other classrooms as the sights and smells in unfamiliar rooms were too much. It was like a complete change in conciousness everywhere I went somewhere new, and it was hard to adjust myself when people were demanding things for me, like trying to get me to participate in an activity. I also hated changes in temperature (i.e. going outside for recess when it was too hot out or snowing, I would just scream and cry).

Over time, my sensory issues have faded gradually to the point where I don't have any, and to this day, I have no idea why this happened. It could explain why I am, in some ways, a hyposensitive pleasure seeker, because I am just dying to get this world back. I love fast rides, complex art, and certain psychedelic experiences. My senses have done a 180 as now I am just wanting a piece of the intense sensory stuff back. Even if it overloaded me at times, having the intense world was sometimes very pleasurable.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Hauge
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2012, 3:16 pm

If theres to much noice around me, i do get rather stressed out. Can get tempers, or even shut downs. - Or if i'm lucky "just" visual disturbances, headache and nausea.
Also have light sensitivity, and aint happy being outside without my sunglasses! - Even on a cloudy day...

AQ=44, EQ=7, SQ=64, Aspie-quiz AS=162/200 NT=37/200

AlmaBrown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Dec 2012, 7:14 pm

I cannot wait in line in a supermarket without some kind of sensory overload. The beeping, the chattering, and all the bodies around me usually leave me with a sense of extreme anxiety, irritation, and panic. I usually try wear headphones while shopping.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 3:33 am

Sensory overloads and Social overloads are technically different, but for the purposes of this I think both can count easily fine.

Social overloads happen a bit more often, but the last sensory was when my dad dragged me to a Rodeo...

(TAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOME
TAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOME
TAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOME!)

Author/Writer

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2012, 5:21 am

Zodai wrote:
Sensory overloads and Social overloads are technically different, but for the purposes of this I think both can count easily fine.

Social overloads happen a bit more often, but the last sensory was when my dad dragged me to a Rodeo...

(TAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOME
TAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOMETAKEMEHOME!)

I did this at my own birthday dinner last month. of course it would've been mortally offensive to vocalize it but I just wanted to lock myself in my room for hours after we FINALLY got home, but my mom had baked a cake and of course you can't be absent for your own birthday cake and gaaaah. we were at Olive Garden and there were these people who just reminded me STRONGLY of the kinds of kids in middle school who used to tease me and were making practical jokes at each other and laughing the whole time and I was just so sure they had to be laughing at me even though I know they weren't....and yeah.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression