Yes 69%  69%  [ 111 ]
No: my vision is fine 24%  24%  [ 39 ]
No: I wear contacts 6%  6%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 160

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 2:50 am

I'm not sure whether it's just my imagination, but it seems that all the aspies I've seen wear glasses, obviously there's no DSM correlation between AS and poor eyesight, but I was curious to see if our population did in fact have worse eyes than NT's or if it just seemed that way because contacts cause sensory problems or something, forcing those of us with poor vision to go with the more obvious glasses (this may be more plausible than you think: I have six friends, all NT, and five of them need corrective lenses, only two of them wear glasses, and one of the two is in her 60's so I don't think she counts! The point being that NT's appear to prefer contacts).

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Ellingtonia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2012, 3:02 am

I haven't had my eyes tested, but if anything I would say my eyesight is above average.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 3:40 am

I'll just throw this out as a conjecture -- perhaps it is because most people seem to generally be more fashion conscious than those with Aspergers.

I've never tried contact lenses, but my impression is that they are really more trouble than glasses. The reason to use them is so as to not be seen wearing glasses.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 4:21 am

eric76 wrote:
I've never tried contact lenses, but my impression is that they are really more trouble than glasses. The reason to use them is so as to not be seen wearing glasses.

I have contacts, but I generally wear my glasses. A month's supply of contact lenses could last me a year.

While I generally agree that contacts are basically worn so as not be seen in glasses, I wanted to try them just to see what they were like. I find that the one time I prefer to wear contacts lenses is when getting a haircut. The barber has to remove my glasses, so I can't really see what's happening, whereas with contacts, I can look in the mirror the whole time and see everything with crystal clear vision.

So in some circumstances, contacts are beneficial over glasses, but I usually just wear glasses because it's easier.

To the OP: You should have had an option for BOTH. I guess anyone with contacts would most likely have a pair of glasses somewhere, but I don't think the poll covers those who mix and match the two.

Cinnamon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2012, 6:33 am

I cannot answer your poll correctly.
I don't normally wear glasses, but last year I got my first reading glasses. :)

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2012, 8:09 am

I wear glasses and have done since I was twelve. I also wore contacts for years but have recently stopped because they're uncomfortable. I like my glasses now, they suit me and they're by Gok Wan so they are fashionable.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 Dec 2012, 8:16 am

I wore glasses for maybe two years (1st-3rd grade) but didn't need them any longer. While I was diagnosed as near-sighted in the first grade, I developed fairly acute vision (near and far, with no deficit) only a few years later. I don't know what happened.

If I did need them, I'd wear glasses. I don't want to put things on my eyes.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 8:39 am

I wear glasses and have been for eight years.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 9:17 am

Too bad the poll will be biased... people who wear glasses are more likely to click on the link.

However, I do think there's some evidence for the idea that kids who do a lot of close-up work as youngsters are more likely to become both better readers and poorer at distance vision. With our detail-focused tendencies, it would not surprise me that we are more likely to need glasses.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 10:19 am

I have rediculously good vision, but I'm going to start wearing tinted lenses soon.

JRC
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2012, 10:23 am

I wear contacts because wearing glasses gives me one more thing to be self conscious about. :?

I don't really like contacts though. I feel like I can't see as well as if I had my glasses and sometimes they feel sticky and annoying. When I start thinking about them like that it can be very annoying and distracting.

neecerie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2012, 11:03 am

I have worn both in the past but have lately been too lazy to get more contacts.

That said I would prefer contacts for some simple reason : Peripheral vision.

I am blind enough (20/400) that peripheral vision is just a blur. This leads to me seeing -things- out of the corner of my eye and just freaking out that its something about to hit me, or something bad...etc.

Contacts at least provide a clear picture of whatever is about to attack me ;)

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 11:11 am

You're not really going to get a very useful sampling without also asking how old people are, with or without glasses.

My eyesight was phenomenal until my early thirties. I am now, at 52, practically blind without them. But I only needed them for reading until about five years ago, when my sight went downhill very quickly.

Asking only if we wear glasses isn't going to tell you much. You need to consider many other factors as well, to account for causes other than AS.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 11:30 am

Reading only,my hand looks blurry close up but I can see a bug on a tree a long way off.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 11:56 am

Wear glasses as my vision is bad, and ask the clerk to pick out a pair as i have no sense on what appears good on me.

I also tries contacts but was short-lived as i could never put them in correctly.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 12:01 pm

Yes - I wear glasses. So does my avatar. We appear to have the same tastes in glasses.

:D