Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 6:27 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
I've been here since 2010 and some people STILL think I'm a dude.

No matter.

"Gender" is not particularly important (to me).

Oh sorry - I thought you were male

Mainly because you have a photo of the X Files actors and a lot of males like the female actress
(can't remember her name)

and also because you have sometimes interacted with me in a sharp, abrupt sarcastic manner that I associate more with males than females

No problemo. 8)

Like I said, for whatever the reason, most people think I'm a dude. I've been told I come off as "aggressive" even when I don't mean to, so that might be part of the issue.

I get called aggressive too

I can't work out the extent to which I should be able to exert more control over my emotions as opposed to the extent to which my brain isn't up to the task

I get the impression most people don't even have to think about it - they just automatically display socially appropriate behaviour

My inhibitory mechanism is definitely faulty

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2012, 6:29 pm

I've been using Internet forums such as this one for over a decade, and I can honestly say this is the first place I've ever encountered where the sex/gender of a person was not immediately obvious from that person's posting style...

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 6:33 pm

Someone in the WP chatroom said they thought I was male because "males plod, but females walk delicately on their tiptoes."

Also, in another chatroom somebody said they thought I was male because I did not use emoticons.

The basis for both their reasoning seemed rather ridiculous to me.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 6:44 pm

nessa238 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
I've been here since 2010 and some people STILL think I'm a dude.

No matter.

"Gender" is not particularly important (to me).

Oh sorry - I thought you were male

Mainly because you have a photo of the X Files actors and a lot of males like the female actress
(can't remember her name)

and also because you have sometimes interacted with me in a sharp, abrupt sarcastic manner that I associate more with males than females

No problemo. 8)

Like I said, for whatever the reason, most people think I'm a dude. I've been told I come off as "aggressive" even when I don't mean to, so that might be part of the issue.

I get called aggressive too

I can't work out the extent to which I should be able to exert more control over my emotions as opposed to the extent to which my brain isn't up to the task

I get the impression most people don't even have to think about it - they just automatically display socially appropriate behaviour

My inhibitory mechanism is definitely faulty

That makes two of us. :lol:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 6:52 pm

I'm apparently a 30 year old male according to most people on the internet.

I wait until people use pronouns for themselves to use pronouns for people usually. Sometimes I'll check pronouns if the website offers a way to do so.

andmott
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Dec 2012, 6:56 pm

It is tough to tell on the internet. You can try to figure it out from a user's name or avatar, but even then its always a guessing game. I think a lot of us men don't think there are many autistic women out there, and assume a bit too much. I'll have to try to stay neutral whenever I'm not sure.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 12:24 am

I actually assumed you were female because of your alias before clicking on the thread.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Dec 2012, 12:38 am

andmott wrote:
It is tough to tell on the internet. You can try to figure it out from a user's name or avatar, but even then its always a guessing game. I think a lot of us men don't think there are many autistic women out there, and assume a bit too much. I'll have to try to stay neutral whenever I'm not sure.

You can always click on a poster's name to see what their gender is listed as in their profile.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

05 Dec 2012, 12:42 am

babybuggy32 wrote:
well here on wrongplanet i have noticed several people have mistaken me for male. i am wondering why. is it my user name? i actually dislike babies, i just thought it was funny. is it the content of my posts or the way i word them?

The picture would have caused me to make this mistake. The first post I saw from you, you identified as a girl, though.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 7:17 am

OP, Your username definitely says 'female' to me and I've never mistaken you for male because of that. But, maybe that's because I'm British, so I know what a baby buggy is.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 8:32 am

I'll usually check the profile to verify the sex of the poster if it seems relevant.

As Mummy_of_peanut writes, I would just assume than anyone who used a user name of Babybuggy would likely be female.

On a slight tangent, something I find interesting is that every now and then as I am reading a post, I will spot a particular word useage or and expressed attitude and I will get a strong sense of the sex of the poster. I'm not always right, but my accuracy is probably around 80%. It doesn't mean much, but it's an interesting game to see if I can pick up on subtle cues.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 8:35 am

i am not interested in finding out the gender behind the posts that i read.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 9:31 am

nessa238 wrote:

That's probably a moot point on an autistic forum. Direct and to the point communication is so much easier than "sugarcoating", and tiptoeing around what you're actually trying to convey.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 10:40 am

I don't bother with people's genders. They're irrelevant to me. The trouble is that there's no proper non-gendered personal pronouns out there for the English language that don't sound awkward. You'll often see me using things like "s/he" or "they", but the grammar nut in me wants to correct "they" to singular.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com