Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 3:10 am

http://www.news.com.au/weird-true-freak ... 6524798620

Does your area have ppl that decorate their houses with lots of lights?

Here is an example from Perth.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 3:48 am

out in the sticks where i live, not too many people can afford to do that. all those lights suck up the watts.

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2012, 4:25 am

That would cost alot more than $10 extra in power bills each week. I dont understand a world where its ok for people destroy the planet cause its cute and raises money for the community. Global emissions gangnam style.
Christmas is full of tacky crap that has lost the real meaning behind it all that's why I refuse to celebrate the yearly ultimate display of human stupidity.
Just because you can do something doesn't make it worthwhile. It amazes me how much time some people have on their hands for useless crap.

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2012, 4:29 am

For me, more visual beauty is found away from these artificial lights, looking upwards on a clear night where you can see the Milky Way. It's disappointing that so many city people are so keen to destroy such views above us.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 4:40 am

most of us live where the milky way is obscured by pollution from smog and misdirected light.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 6:19 am

I've always found it to be a form of exhibitionism tbh. My mum's neighbour smothers their house in lights and they have busloads of people driving up and down the street to see them.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 9:44 am

Love that face, man, it's so cute! We have houses like that here but they are not as hip. Their light display is connected to a mainframe and they play to Christmas songs. Same sort of concept just not hip music like this. We also have lots and lots and lots and lots and I do mean lots of traditional displays this being the Bible Belt and all. Lights are everywhere. I love it!

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 10:50 am

I had mine blinking but people wanted me to make them stop because they were offensive to people with epilepsy. No Nativity scene, No Santa, No Reindeer, All I ask for is a chance to have blinking lights. This declining world we live in...-_-

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 11:03 am

I have my lights ready to illuminate. One set says: Bah Humbug. The other set says: Goyim!! !!

ruveyn

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 11:15 am

I like the 'Bah, Humbug!' Idea...
Can we have some t-shirts that say that, too?

Sylkat :D

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 2:33 pm

My in-laws' house looks like it was attacked by elves on acid.

Our lights are pretty simple--clean lines of coloured LED's along each of the eaves.

Living north of 49 degrees, the hours of daylight are really few this time of year--the lights put some cheer back in those pitch black evening hours. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 1:00 am

visagrunt wrote:
My in-laws' house looks like it was attacked by elves on acid. Our lights are pretty simple--clean lines of coloured LED's along each of the eaves.
Living north of 49 degrees, the hours of daylight are really few this time of year--the lights put some cheer back in those pitch black evening hours. :)

pics? por favor? the acid house sounds very visually-interesting.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 6:34 am

This one's a couple of miles from where I stay. The news report is from a few years ago, but it will be like this again this year. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 412332.stm

As for our own house, we have 4 sticks in the ground, with 5 snowflakes on each. This weekend my husband will probably be putting a row of 5 6inch robins on the garage roof and maybe a veil of lights hanging from the garage gutter. It's definitely not OTT.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 9:49 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
I had mine blinking but people wanted me to make them stop because they were offensive to people with epilepsy. No Nativity scene, No Santa, No Reindeer, All I ask for is a chance to have blinking lights. This declining world we live in...-_-

I don't think it's a matter of it being "offensive" to them. It's because they want to go by your house without having a seizure.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 11:59 pm

Lights bother me if they are those kind that "chase"each other.
I like some small lights,just one shapely tree lit up.
I tried to do this with my weeping fig tree,I used green for the trunk and red on the top.
Someone said it looked like a cactus with a sombrero.It did . Wasn't the look I was going for but it was festive, so Feliz Navidad! :santa: :rendeer:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 9:01 am

Misslizard wrote:
Lights bother me if they are those kind that "chase"each other.

Lights that go on and off 8 to 10 times a second can induce epileptic fits.

ruveyn