Do higher functioning aspies have it worse in some ways?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

06 Dec 2012, 3:38 am

"Contrary to popular assumption, people diagnosed with so-called mild forms of autism don’t fare any better in life than those with severe forms of the disorder." http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/news/ ... -as-adults. This study was of PDD-NOS (which I have) with normal-high IQ and which is a broad dumping ground that includes many who are similar to aspies (but don't stim, for example), as well as some HFA.

There is another guy with Asperger's Syndrome in my class. But he dresses odd, doesn't have my fake NT mannerisms, has the emaciated look, and just overall seems lower functioning. But there are a couple girls in my class who are always around him, helping him out.

But me? I think most people just think I am a normal guy who's an uncaring/aloof as*hole. Definitely "normal" enough but not anyone they personally would like to spend much time around

EDIT: I DON'T mean high vs. low in the medical sense. Low functioning autistics really do have it bad. Rather, I mean variations within what is technically the high-medium range. For example, an aspie/PDD-NOS who clearly has something wrong with her, dresses funny, and has the understanding of a child vs. someone who seems like a normal guy/gal on the outside--and not anyone who needs help-- but who is, to a large degree, shut out due to subtle/invisible factors.

Last edited by Tyri0n on 06 Dec 2012, 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 3:56 am

Probably based on what you described. The more obvious your disability is, the easier it is in ways because then people are more patient with you and don't expect as much out of you.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 4:36 am

League_Girl wrote:
Probably based on what you described. The more obvious your disability is, the easier it is in ways because then people are more patient with you and don't expect as much out of you.

This is very true. My son is very Autistic (non verbal) and so people are very accommodating because they can see his disability clearly, a friends son only a year or two older has Aspergers and people are irritated by him, because he can talk well they don't see him as having a disability and are not tolerant of him.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2012, 4:43 am

Generally speaking, I think people have a certain expectations of how people with autism behave and what they can do - so I know that when people see my son talking, communicating, playing, and overall, functioning mostly, the way their children do, then they become skeptical. It can be pretty frustrating...

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 5:13 am

The more you already fit in, the more you're expected to fit in more. If you don't fit in, your behavior is seen as wierd and creepy and people will avoid you unless it's severe enough that you break the "tard barrier" and then they're nice to you.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 6:07 am

Tyri0n wrote:
There is another guy with Asperger's Syndrome in my class. But he dresses odd, doesn't have my fake NT mannerisms, has the emaciated look, and just overall seems lower functioning.

But there are a couple girls in my class who are always around him, helping him out.

But me? I think most people just think I am a normal guy who's an uncaring/aloof as*hole. Definitely "normal" enough but not anyone they personally would like to spend much time around

Keep in mind that a lot of people (not being biased just a study of human nature) get kick out of "helping the needy" because it is self-fulfilling. They may not be helping him for his sake. Like people who go do charity work and video-tape it to show.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 6:22 am

Tyri0n wrote:
There is another guy with Asperger's Syndrome in my class. But he dresses odd, doesn't have my fake NT mannerisms, has the emaciated look, and just overall seems lower functioning.

But there are a couple girls in my class who are always around him, helping him out.

Definitely from some aspects. However don't forget that the low functioning autistics will have it a lot harder in other ways so it's sort of 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. The worst thing for me about being high functioning, is not being believed (which goes hand in hand with the expectation levels therefore being too high).

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 6:59 am

To me the hardest part is people not believing you have a disability. To the few people I told about my condition (including my family doctor), most didn't say anything at all. Some still tell me to just relax and go socialize more. Maybe it's just their stock phrase.

I think inside I have rather high expectations for myself, too. I've been putting up the normal facade for so long, it's hard to admit that normal everyday things can be very hard for me. It's only in the last year or so I started to accept myself more, instead of beating myself up for not being as useful as others.

Sometimes I seriously doubt it's just aspies who have trouble with empathy. I hardly know anybody who seem to understand (or be willing to understand) those who are different than themselves. Empathy is something you have for people who are similar to yourself, which is expanded version of self love.

We're trying to come "out". I have mentioned some of the challenges of living with autism for the 3 of us in our Christmas newsletter this year. So that means everyone on our christmas cards list would know, if they bother to read it. DH also told some people at work. I'm betting that nobody will ever say anything about it.

We don't know any low functioning people to know the difference, though. My kids look pretty "obvious" but they still count as high functioning.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2012, 7:31 am

It only depends from the fact that people will help you less if you have a milder form. But no, mild AS id not worse than medium or severe AS. I wish I could have a milder form and look more "normal".

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

06 Dec 2012, 7:40 am

I am not sure whether not caring about having a relationship or many friendships is better or worse for me than wanting them and not being able to have them. I am not sure I actually care whether it's better or worse.

However, distress always sucks - I don't want to deny that. Even if your problems are mild, they're still real.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 8:12 am

Having too much self-awareness can cause problems for a HFA Aspie too. I'm high-functioning and can appear ''normal'' to others, and that's good in some ways. But sometimes I can feel a little odd, what can confuse other people, and sometimes people look at me like they're trying to figure something out. They see an ordinary-looking person coming towards them and see no differences to be ''afraid'' of, but suddenly something about the vibe I give off kind of makes them think ''wait....something's not right about that girl. I can't quite put my finger on it.'' That causes social phobia, social anxiety, and Agoraphobia for me, because I am sensitive to ridicule, I can read body language fine so it's not like I'm oblivious to other people's thoughts and feelings, so therefore I become more affected by being a little odd, just like how an NT person would feel if they were put in that situation.

I love the way I explained that!

AlmaBrown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2012, 8:36 am

Verdandi wrote:
I am not sure whether not caring about having a relationship or many friendships is better or worse for me than wanting them and not being able to have them. I am not sure I actually care whether it's better or worse.

However, distress always sucks - I don't want to deny that. Even if your problems are mild, they're still real.

Exactly.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 8:56 am

in some ways, definitely.

Because the symptoms in higher functioning people are so much more subtle, the autism is harder to identify and the chances of early diagnosis and intervention are far far less.

I'm in my early 30's and wasnt DX'd until this year.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 11:01 am

Definitely the more able a person on the autistic spectrum is the more likely he or she will be taken for granted. This is an issue which is a direct cause of anxiety in people on the autism spectrum and why some hate allistic people and those that have an IQ of below 70. The unfair expectations are specifically designed by allistic people to play one group of against the other. If you are on the more mild end of the spectrum allistics do become the useless eater he or she will try to take advantage and if you do not let him or her then verbal abuse results and you have no one helping you. :idea:

urbanpixie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Dec 2012, 11:03 am

Joe90 wrote:
Having too much self-awareness can cause problems for a HFA Aspie too. I'm high-functioning and can appear ''normal'' to others, and that's good in some ways. But sometimes I can feel a little odd, what can confuse other people, and sometimes people look at me like they're trying to figure something out. They see an ordinary-looking person coming towards them and see no differences to be ''afraid'' of, but suddenly something about the vibe I give off kind of makes them think ''wait....something's not right about that girl. I can't quite put my finger on it.'' That causes social phobia, social anxiety, and Agoraphobia for me, because I am sensitive to ridicule, I can read body language fine so it's not like I'm oblivious to other people's thoughts and feelings, so therefore I become more affected by being a little odd, just like how an NT person would feel if they were put in that situation.

I love the way I explained that!

I love the way you explained that too! I can read body language, feel empathy, and am actually a great observer of social interaction.

Where I get into trouble is when I have to participate instead of observe- then my awkwardness comes out. I once saw a video of myself and actually became frustrated when watching it (thinking "what is wrong with me- why am I moving so SLOWLY?"). It wasn't until finding this forum that I realized that what frustrated me about that video was that something was off about my body language. I think others see it as well.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 11:33 am

Mirror21 wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

Keep in mind that a lot of people (not being biased just a study of human nature) get kick out of "helping the needy" because it is self-fulfilling. They may not be helping him for his sake. Like people who go do charity work and video-tape it to show.

i agree with this. just because people help out someone who is obviously special needs doesn't mean that he has it "better" or "easier". they aren't exactly his friends at the end of the day.