Timothy Dalton (1987-1989) 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Pierce Brosnan (1995-2002) 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
Daniel Craig (2006-2012) 29%  29%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 51

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 6:17 pm

if ya wanna see 007 emote, then watch the 1969 outing "on her majesty's secret service."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 7:15 pm

auntblabby wrote:
if ya wanna see 007 emote, then watch the 1969 outing "on her majesty's secret service."

I really wish they would have either waited to have had Connery in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, or had Lazenby in the following Diamonds Are Forever. As Bond had lost his wife, murdered by Blofeld, a change in actor only served to lose that emotional continuity when Bond sought revenge.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 7:37 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I really wish they would have either waited to have had Connery in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, or had Lazenby in the following Diamonds Are Forever. As Bond had lost his wife, murdered by Blofeld, a change in actor only served to lose that emotional continuity when Bond sought revenge.

i don't know that connery is that good at emoting the way that lazenby did.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 7:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i don't know that connery is that good at emoting the way that lazenby did.

That very well may be so.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 7:46 pm

but i agree that lazenby should've been able to finish what he started.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 8:48 pm

auntblabby wrote:
but i agree that lazenby should've been able to finish what he started.

Even though it was the same Bond character, I just couldn't empathize with the Connery Bond's loss the way I could with Lazenby. That, and Diamonds Are Forever just wasn't a particularly good movie that could be a vehicle for an emotionally wounded and vengeful Bond. And while Charles Grey was a decent actor, the Blofeld role in this case was written more for laughs, rather than so purely sinister as the Donald Pleasance and Telly Savalas' take on the character had been.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 8:56 pm

a notable connery bond was his turn in "you only live twice" which is my fave bond film on all fronts.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 9:49 pm

auntblabby wrote:
a notable connery bond was his turn in "you only live twice" which is my fave bond film on all fronts.

You Only Live Twice is a long time favorite of mine, as well. I especially liked how Blofeld is revealed for the first time. Donald Pleasance most certainly had a scary, unblinking state.

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 12:11 pm

I'm not sure. I like Sean Connery but Timothy Dalton was refreshing as James Bond. He was kind of rebellious, troubled and very handsome. When people wanted Clive Owen as James Bond I was interested because I thank he would perform the same kind of James Bond that Timothy Dalton impersonated.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 2:17 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

You Only Live Twice is a long time favorite of mine, as well. I especially liked how Blofeld is revealed for the first time. Donald Pleasance most certainly had a scary, unblinking state.

I always preferred Goldfinger, how can you not go wrong the Aston Martin DB5 and the ultimate one-liner? Namely "Shocking, positively shocking."

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 5:19 pm

LexingtonDeville wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I always preferred Goldfinger, how can you not go wrong the Aston Martin DB5 and the ultimate one-liner? Namely "Shocking, positively shocking."

My favorite lines from Goldfinger were:

"Do you expect me to talk, Goldfinger?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 6:31 pm

the best line from any james bond movie was one that was censored by the BBFC, it was "what a performance!" which was uttered while a certain bad guy was examining a spy film showing 007 and some gal going at it on the bed. just the inclusion of this one line [repeated twice] in this movie threatened it with the english X rating. so it was cut out [also butchering the musical background in the process] all in the pursuit of higher box office.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 7:23 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the best line from any james bond movie was one that was censored by the BBFC, it was "what a performance!" which was uttered while a certain bad guy was examining a spy film showing 007 and some gal going at it on the bed. just the inclusion of this one line [repeated twice] in this movie threatened it with the english X rating. so it was cut out [also butchering the musical background in the process] all in the pursuit of higher box office.

Do you recall which movie that had been cut out of?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 8:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

"from russia with love" -

In an article titled ‘The British Censorship of From Russia With Love’ on the website DVD Talk, Glenn Erickson looks at the film’s editing including the mysterious ‘bad edit’ in the gondola in the film’s final scene.

DVD Talk originally looked at the gondola scene’s cut article in 1997. That article descibed the cut as follow:

In the final scene of From Russia With Love Sean Connery and Daniela Bianchi are blithely Gondoliering on a Venetian canal (okay, okay, in front of a rear-projection of a Venetian canal) when Connery produces the 8mm roll of blackmail film taken by SMERSH in the Istanbul bridal suite. He holds the reel up to examine a length of it against the sunlight, and says. “He was right, you know.” Before Bianchi can answer, there is a really obvious cut. A new angle pops on with the actors in different positions and the dialog proceeds as if something substantial has been cut out. Matt Munro has been singing the title song in the background; the lyric jumps forward a few notes, indicating that maybe two or three seconds of film are missing.

The BBFC made From Russia With Love ‘the target of some pretty stringent censorship’. Gavin had found two key points that explain the cut which it turns out referred to another cut line.

The earlier cut was this:

(From a list of 13 BBFC cuts)
•10) – Killer Red Grant (Robert Shaw) gets the drop on Bond in his compartment on the Orient Express. Grant’s remark “What a performance!” when he throws the compromising 8mm film reel at Bond is removed.

And the famous gondola scene cut:

•13) – Bond’s repeat of Red Grant’s quip, “What a performance!” as he examines the film reel in the Gondola, has been cut.

Dale McFadzean, a member of the James Bond 007 International Fan Club. Dale wrote:

“…In the original edit of the [Gondola] scene, Sean Connery holds up the film and says, “He was right you know – what a performance!”, referring to his and Tatiana’s sexual exploits in the hotel. At the time it was thought that this piece of dialogue was a bit risque; and so it was cut. This is why there is a jump of a few seconds in the final scene.”

there is not an uncut version in existence to this day! this needs to be fixed.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 10:43 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

"from russia with love" -

In an article titled ‘The British Censorship of From Russia With Love’ on the website DVD Talk, Glenn Erickson looks at the film’s editing including the mysterious ‘bad edit’ in the gondola in the film’s final scene.

DVD Talk originally looked at the gondola scene’s cut article in 1997. That article descibed the cut as follow:

In the final scene of From Russia With Love Sean Connery and Daniela Bianchi are blithely Gondoliering on a Venetian canal (okay, okay, in front of a rear-projection of a Venetian canal) when Connery produces the 8mm roll of blackmail film taken by SMERSH in the Istanbul bridal suite. He holds the reel up to examine a length of it against the sunlight, and says. “He was right, you know.” Before Bianchi can answer, there is a really obvious cut. A new angle pops on with the actors in different positions and the dialog proceeds as if something substantial has been cut out. Matt Munro has been singing the title song in the background; the lyric jumps forward a few notes, indicating that maybe two or three seconds of film are missing.

The BBFC made From Russia With Love ‘the target of some pretty stringent censorship’. Gavin had found two key points that explain the cut which it turns out referred to another cut line.

The earlier cut was this:

(From a list of 13 BBFC cuts)
•10) – Killer Red Grant (Robert Shaw) gets the drop on Bond in his compartment on the Orient Express. Grant’s remark “What a performance!” when he throws the compromising 8mm film reel at Bond is removed.

And the famous gondola scene cut:

•13) – Bond’s repeat of Red Grant’s quip, “What a performance!” as he examines the film reel in the Gondola, has been cut.

Dale McFadzean, a member of the James Bond 007 International Fan Club. Dale wrote:

“…In the original edit of the [Gondola] scene, Sean Connery holds up the film and says, “He was right you know – what a performance!”, referring to his and Tatiana’s sexual exploits in the hotel. At the time it was thought that this piece of dialogue was a bit risque; and so it was cut. This is why there is a jump of a few seconds in the final scene.”

there is not an uncut version in existence to this day! this needs to be fixed.

It's truly funny how naive people's sensibilities concerning sexual matters were back then, which we today would find incredibly tame.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm

the BBFC is still incredibly persnickety today.