Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 3:12 pm

It is my theory, that time has no beginning, and no end. Rather, it is a loop, that continuously goes back around again and again. The moment we are currently living in, has been lived in before, though we may have been some place else, or doing something else. Does anyone else think anything similar to this?

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 10:35 pm

I think time would be more 'infinite.' Although its "going forward" or at least perceived that way, I do not think its on a 'time line' so to speak.

timeline:
past---------------------------- now--------------------future

my theory:
nothingnothingnothingnothingnothing now nothingnothingnothingnothingnothingnothing

So, it still follows a "line" but there is no guaranteed future and the past is nothing but a memory.. Basically, its 'infinitely' now

dimensionaltraveler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Dec 2006, 3:45 am

snake321 wrote:
It is my theory, that time has no beginning, and no end. Rather, it is a loop, that continuously goes back around again and again. The moment we are currently living in, has been lived in before, though we may have been some place else, or doing something else. Does anyone else think anything similar to this?

What you are describing is a closed temporal loop in time.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 2:46 pm

But it recycles through the loop infinately.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 12:11 pm

snake321 wrote:
But it recycles through the loop infinately.

is the loop infinite? does the loop contain infinite possibility? For something thats infinite to then loop would mean its doubling itself over. If its infinite, it wont double over - infinite

hellznrg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 2:56 pm

snake321 wrote:

i don't agree with this... the problem is, what distinguishes one moment of time from another is the difference in properties of the constituent particles etc in the system...

basically, if everything in the system was inert and completely still and unchanging, then there's no point in talking about time, because every moment in time is exactly like another...

so if you say that this moment in time has happened before, but we may have been in a different place, then how can both times be the same... because the particles of the system (us) have different configurations....

and there's the additional problem of arbitrarily assigning a circumference of this temporal loop... does it loop once a year? once a century?... and how would we test it...? two words my main man: occam's razor...

oh and... i'm not an expert in physics or anything, but isn't space and time linked together inextricably as the spacetime continuum? so time can't be separated from space... so if time were to repeat itself, then space would have to repeat itself too... so for time to "loop", the particles of the system would have to be in the exact same configuration as the previous iteration

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 3:07 pm

This is still something I am working with... My inquiry before was more of a possible suggestion and not meant to be presented as facts. Honestly, time is the one thing I can barely begin to explain ANYTHING about, and this irritates me...... I do think time was always here though, even if there was nothing but an empty space, or a big void.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

26 Dec 2006, 3:17 pm

hellznrg wrote:

basically, if everything in the system was inert and completely still and unchanging, then there's no point in talking about time, because every moment in time is exactly like another...

Yeah like random noise that is completely uncompressable by computer software
has absolutely no knowledge stored in it. If all energy/matter is in a random noise
state then the concept of time is meaningless. And its possible the beginning and the
end of the universe was and will be like thats. Just as there is no chance in hell in
people living forever there maybe no chance in hell of anything living forever(in a
non random noise state).

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 7:29 pm

snake321 wrote:
.... I do think time was always here though, even if there was nothing but an empty space, or a big void.

But surely its relative.

Anyway, thanks for making this post, the replies helped me with this concept. :)