Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 4:07 pm

Is there anyone else who has to cut their AS child's hair at home, because they freak out during the process, and no barber shop will take them?

I cut my son's hair at home, I don't mind doing it, but it doesn't look that great. I just give him a buzz cut every two months (he needs it once a month but I put it off as long as possible).

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 6:02 pm

My son is okay with it thought we don't do it on schedule (every 6 weeks) but when we feel like. He got over it by 5. I was really relieved because he used to have a really hard time, especially with uptight, white stylists. His experiences changed when we took him to the barber. He did well there but told us he didn't like it, since then, he has had no problems.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 8:36 pm

my kid hasn't gotten his haircut for a long time....hates the feeling of it...hubby who's an aspie too, will only let me cut his hair because he can't stand the proximity of the person cutting his hair, nor the sound of the clippers

Cowgirlchic23
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Dec 2006, 9:07 pm

I hate getting haircuts! I don't know why, but I do, LoL!! ! Its just too uncomfortable.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2006, 10:42 pm

I cut my own hair. The idea of some stanger doing it for me makes me feel uncomfortable.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 10:34 pm

I don't cut my own hair, nobody cuts my hair. It's very long...about halfway down my back when tied back in a ponytail. My hair can get a little bothersome at times, but I tend to like my hair, and it's appearance being long. It bothers me less than getting a haircut too, so it stays long. I've noticed many aspie guys are similar to me, and have long hair. It's also not a problem in my trade, since it's also occupied by many musicians, artists and other creative type that have unusual appearances.

Maybe after you let his hair grow out long enough to the point it is bothering him, he will be more receptive to having it cut, and be more cooperative with the process.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2006, 10:47 pm

I have it cut at a hair stylist. It costs a few quid more but it's worth it. It's not the most comfortable experience I've ever had but as long as I can tune out somewhat while it's being done, I'm OK. The worst bit is the waiting, to be honest.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 12:43 am

Tequila wrote:
I have it cut at a hair stylist.....

I like getting a shampoo/scalp massage before the hair cut. Its heavenly.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 1:54 am

When I was a kid, I didn't mind getting haircuts at a barber shop, but hated getting haircuts at home. The barbers treated me with dignity, politely telling me what to do (such as which way to move my head), and giving me advance warning on what they will do (such as spray my head with water). One barber even went as far as telling me: "Don't try to be a hero; if something hurts, go ahead and speak up." Most, however, just paid attention to the winces from pulled hair, and acted accordingly.

My parents, on the other hand, demanded utmost obedience, regardless of my discomfort. They demanded that I sit still, tell me what to do with borderline yelling, doing what they needed to do with no warning whatsoever, and ignoring the "ow, it hurts" remarks when they combed my hair. On top of all that, they wondered why I'm so cooperative with complete strangers (i.e. barbers) and so uncooperative with them.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 2:14 am

Seconding Aspie1's bit.
Plus, I loved the clippers buzzing against my skull. I went to military school for several years and was in JROTC in high school, so, short hair.
These days I do my own since I see no point in paying a barber to do what I can do (no guard, mow the entire head, vacuum up, done).

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 2:28 am

Well I cut my own hair only have a problem with the back part, and using a mirror drive's me up the wall trying to reverse my clipping direction, pretty easy to do hair cut's if you get a good pair of scissors, and a hair cutting instruction book on techniques...with the barber clippers and scissor use…

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

26 Dec 2006, 5:36 am

For the last 20+ years my sister has cut my hair. I think social fear is the main reason I do not goto a barber. I did goto to a barber a few times a few years ago
though I was not impressed(my sister lived over a 1000 miles away). I cut it alot myself alot. Now that my sister moved back to Texas she does it.(I need a cut now).

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 5:46 am

Haven't ever really liked getting my hair cut but some hairdressers are better than others. I like keeping my hair long and resisted getting it cut short when I was a girl.
Now, there seems to be this thing with middle-aged and older women having short hair.

I don't want to have short hair if it is going to make me look old.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

26 Dec 2006, 5:48 am

Pandora wrote:
Haven't ever really liked getting my hair cut but some hairdressers are better than others. I like keeping my hair long and resisted getting it cut short when I was a girl.
Now, there seems to be this thing with middle-aged and older women having short hair.

I don't want to have short hair if it is going to make me look old.

Great! I hate that short hair look on women.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 5:56 am

Yes, it speaks of following the herd and getting a wash and wear, easy care hairstyle. I have listened to relatives and had my hair cut short sometimes but never really liked it. Mum thought I hid behind my hair. Well, maybe I did sometimes but was that really such a bad thing? I don't think so.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2006, 6:23 am

en_una_isla wrote:
Is there anyone else who has to cut their AS child's hair at home, because they freak out during the process, and no barber shop will take them?

I cut my son's hair at home, I don't mind doing it, but it doesn't look that great. I just give him a buzz cut every two months (he needs it once a month but I put it off as long as possible).

Me and my ex have one hell of going to a hairdresser. With one male kid. Other male kid doesn't bother. Everything from the vibration of the cutter, to the feeling in the haiir using scissors is unbearable pain. Fortunately we have a hairdresser familiar with our kids. Thank god.