Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you think the world portrays Autism in a bad light?
Yes 74%  74%  [ 50 ]
No 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Maybe 16%  16%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 68

aspiebeauty87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2012, 1:51 pm

This angers me to see how ignorant people are. I read this forum today and it really made me sad but yet annoyed how stupid the world is about autism. You be the judge. Hey even post there and see what the stupid people on this forum say. One of the commenters think we want some kind of holiday so we get a day off which is not the case. We just want acceptance just like everyone else. I was looking up Autism Pride Parade and the CT shooting so this forum came up please comment and at least give these people some type of incite of what autism is because obviously they cannot read and play video games all day.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=172417

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 2:12 pm

Am I reading the correct forum? Those posts were made more than 4 years ago.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 2:18 pm

Shatteringly few people understand what autism means, even if they seek it with sincerity.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 4:29 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:
Shatteringly few people understand what autism means, even if they seek it with sincerity.

Yeah, and given that, plus a couple of other recent news events, maybe we should organize a kind of pride parade, or at least something that would gain some positive national attention.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 6:06 pm

that was a bizzare forum

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 7:54 pm

Well, that was a depressing thing to read.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 1:20 am

aspiebeauty87 wrote:
This angers me to see how ignorant people are. I read this forum today and it really made me sad but yet annoyed how stupid the world is about autism. You be the judge. Hey even post there and see what the stupid people on this forum say. One of the commenters think we want some kind of holiday so we get a day off which is not the case. We just want acceptance just like everyone else. I was looking up Autism Pride Parade and the CT shooting so this forum came up please comment and at least give these people some type of incite of what autism is because obviously they cannot read and play video games all day.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=172417

I'm interested, but where would it get held? Also we couldn't do anything flamboyant or tacky like a gay parade, we'd need to look clean cut...and some might want to lay off the video games and junk food a little and start a diet and exercise about 6 months in advance. In other words, no looking like unemployable, slob-ish, comic-con rejects, and makeovers would need to be available to make sure no one has a serial killer/Meghan's law look to them.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 10:37 am

I think an Autsim Pride Parade is a great idea and it's also long overdue. There should be an Autism Pride Parade in every city of the world on the 1st of April.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 11:45 am

CockneyRebel, you are aware that World Autism Awareness Day is April second, right?

I'd prefer they move it to June 23, Alan Turing Day.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 4:21 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think an Autsim Pride Parade is a great idea and it's also long overdue. There should be an Autism Pride Parade in every city of the world on the 1st of April.
Autistic Pride Parade should take place on Autistic Pride Day (18th June):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autistic_Pride_Day

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:02 pm

I voted "Maybe" because there are many who stand up for those of autism. Look at all the people who have family members on the spectrum and the amount of support they give. I have a friend who is slightly LD and is in community college in the NYC suburbs who does a hell of a lot of advocacy work.

But the idea of an autism pride parade? Go for it! And have in somewhere in New York. NYC, Buffalo, but then again, just my bias.

Quazar
Raven
Raven

19 Jan 2013, 6:27 am

meh I don't even want read that crap, its just going to make me depressed -_-

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 10:21 am

Northeastern292 wrote:
But the idea of an autism pride parade? Go for it! And have in somewhere in New York. NYC, Buffalo, but then again, just my bias.
There is an Autistic Pride Parade in NYC every year, on the 18th of June. For further details, contact the ASAN's chapter in NYC - http://www.meetup.com/aspergers-309/

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

An Autism Pride Parade sounds like a good idea, however in reality it would be a nightmare for all those suffering from sensory and various issues. In my mind an Autism Pride Parade would be for all ages. Yet some of us have trouble being in crowds, and a lot of meltdowns would likely occur.

They made special hours in certain malls so that only Autistic kids can see Santa (which was sweet so they don't get overwhelmed at regular hours) wiht other screaming children and crowded mall area.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 11:23 pm

Chloe33 wrote:
An Autism Pride Parade sounds like a good idea, however in reality it would be a nightmare for all those suffering from sensory and various issues. In my mind an Autism Pride Parade would be for all ages. Yet some of us have trouble being in crowds, and a lot of meltdowns would likely occur.

They made special hours in certain malls so that only Autistic kids can see Santa (which was sweet so they don't get overwhelmed at regular hours) wiht other screaming children and crowded mall area.

Yeah you read my mind