Gotta tell my folks that I dropped out of school.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 5:55 pm

I did it over a month ago still haven't told my folks.

I can't go home for christmas and I can't tell em I'm an aspie.

Rarh am I stressed.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 6:00 pm

Well, your parents are in their 100's already so I doubt they'd mind.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 6:05 pm

Why does everyone keep mentioning that, seriously who's honest when fill out account info.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2012, 6:21 pm

Stoek wrote:
Why does everyone keep mentioning that, seriously who's honest when fill out account info.

*raises hand* I really am the age stated.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 6:36 pm

You need to tell them you dropped out. When did you find out you are an aspie, and were you receiving accommodations at school?

If the reason you dropped out is related to your asperger's you might start bringing up the specific traits and symptoms you have and how they are related to AS. If the reason you dropped out was related to AS and you were not receiving accomodations you can bring that up as a reason for your actions.

I do not know your situation, but I dropped out of graduate school and I dreaded telling my parents but they came to be alright with my decision as I presented an alternative long term option. This was probably helped by the fact that this also started me seeing someone for help.

Stoek, I am honest with my age and what not. I am even honest with my locations even if it is vague and intended to be funny.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2012, 6:42 pm

I didn't tell my parents or relatives I'd dropped out for a YEAR! I was afraid because I'd been an overachiever my whole life, graduated 15th in my class of over 400, etc. etc. and then boom...can't even get a degree in college, let alone get good grades? They weren't as devastated as I'd imagined and I really wish I'd told them earlier.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Dec 2012, 6:56 pm

I'm a dropout. There's nothing wrong with it, Just tell your parents!

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 7:22 pm

Do you have any plans of going to a community college or something. It is important to get a college education, though I guess not everyone is capable of finishing college. I do think you should be honest with your parents, not necessarily about the aspergers, but about dropping out. You don't want to keep this on your shoulders for too long.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 7:55 pm

CuriousKitten wrote:
Stoek wrote:

Me, too.

Except that's not me on a horse. I haven't ridden a horse in several years now.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:15 pm

eric76 wrote:
CuriousKitten wrote:
Stoek wrote:

Me, too.

Except that's not me on a horse. I haven't ridden a horse in several years now.

I'm honest about my age and everything else here on WP.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 8:30 pm

windtreeman wrote:
I didn't tell my parents or relatives I'd dropped out for a YEAR! I was afraid because I'd been an overachiever my whole life, graduated 15th in my class of over 400, etc. etc. and then boom...can't even get a degree in college, let alone get good grades? They weren't as devastated as I'd imagined and I really wish I'd told them earlier.

See this is happened alot, between 18-22, than I took time off school, got my sleep apnea fixed, and everyone had hope I was fixed, and now I gotta let em know I ain't. It's a super disapointment.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2012, 9:28 pm

Stoek wrote:

I am truly the age (24) that you can see to the left of this post where my avatar and the cumulative number of posts that I have made in my existence on WrongPlanet are.

Not everyone here on WrongPlanet kids about their age.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2012, 9:32 pm

Stoek wrote:
I did it over a month ago still haven't told my folks.

I can't go home for christmas and I can't tell em I'm an aspie.

Rarh am I stressed.

I know this is none of my business, but what made you decide to drop out of school?

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:44 pm

chssmstrjk wrote:
Stoek wrote:

I am truly the age (24) that you can see to the left of this post where my avatar and the cumulative number of posts that I have made in my existence on WrongPlanet are.

It`s not simply a matter of joking, it`s a bad idea putting your personal info into an account like that. It puts you at risk of identity theft.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:51 pm

Stoek wrote:
I will be honest and tell you it never occurred to me NOT to be honest. Though I did have to omit certain things to protect the anonymity of my kids. But I would never lie about something like that.

I would be having a hard time if I were in your shoes, too. When I had to tell my parents I was leaving my husband (divorce is a huge no-no in my family), it sucked in the worst way. What helped me find the courage to do it was to remind myself that I am an adult and in charge of my own life. I have to make my own decisions. I hope to have the support of the people I love, but if I don't...oh, well. I gots to do what I gots to do.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 3:56 am

Stoek wrote:
chssmstrjk wrote:
Stoek wrote:

It`s not simply a matter of joking, it`s a bad idea putting your personal info into an account like that. It puts you at risk of identity theft.

I'm not sure that knowing your birthdate and maybe where you live and a screen name that is not too likely to tie back to you puts you at any serious risk of identity theft.

And keep in mind that you don't necessarily display your birthay. I guess that someone could check every day to see on what date the age changes. I'm not too worried about that.