Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

tweedee5
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Mar 2005, 7:30 pm

i'm curious what experience anyone has had with medications and doctors and stuff.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2005, 1:40 am

First medication 1995 when I was in 2nd grade. Ritalin. Didn't work. Then Prozac, didn't work. Then countless other medications. 1 made me gain weight, others made me have a terrible problem with sleep (obsession and frusteration with falling asleep) and another damaged me for good by causing my hands/arms to tremor constantly (unless it has to do with something else that shows up later in life) which I now get made fun of for. Finally I said "NO MORE" in 2001. And I am doing just fine.

All my doctors have ever done was prescribe pills.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2005, 4:07 am

I was on anti-depressants for nearly 2 years in the. The first one didn't do anything except make my memory NT'ish. There's about a three month gap of life in the fall of 1990 where I have little in the way of visual memories, and I had to work hard to recover them, and even harder to uncover buried memories.

The second one my parents liked because I could do homework and stay focused on it, and the doctor who prescribed it to me quickly upped me to the maxium dose 150mg per day. I hated it though because if I got up to quick the blood would rush from my head and I would pass out. In addition, seeming random things would cause me to have really extreme bi-polar like mood swings. I could be happy one minute, then sobbing uncontrollably the next minute, as was the case on the afternoon of Wednesday October 9, 1991 during day one of the sixth grade camp out when I had a break down in the bunks right before dinner time.

Pleas I made to my psyciatrist to take me off the stuff fell on deaf ears. In his mind, it was all symptoms of ADHD.

For my sake at least, my parents decided to take me off the stuff right before I entered junior high

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2005, 3:47 pm

I began psychotherapy in 1993 after a traumatic incident. Since my early teens I had been somewhat depressed, but the incident I refer to increased the depression to suicidal levels and I sought treatment on my own initiative. Over the course of about six years, I was prescribed various medications to help with anxiety and depression. In the end, the medications were almost a complete waste, along with the psychotherapy.

There is something I have noted about people using psychoactive medications. From what I have seen, the people taking these medications seem just as unhappy and anxious on the meds as without them. With these types of medications, one is literally attempting to trade their negative emotions for insomnia, sexual dysfunction, upset stomach, and dizziness.

I am glad to be med-free. Would I consider taking meds again? No, mostly. The only type of medication I would consider taking would be something to improve focus, or something under the “smart drug” category. I was diagnosed with ADD as a child and never outgrew it. If there was something (possibly Provigil®) that would improve my focus and memory, I would be willing to try it. However, I am not willing to put myself through another battle with side effects.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2005, 4:06 pm

When I was 12, i was mis diagnosed with depression, i was given Celexa, didnt work at all. Then i got Zyprexa, I gained 30 pounds in a month, they launched a class action lawsuit against the makers, i should have gotten in on that, then i took risperdal (sp?) Didnt work, i asked to be taken off it. then 3 months later i was dx'd with AS

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2005, 4:53 pm

Medication has worked great for me!! I was put on Ritalin at age 8, and I was so thrilled at how much control I had over myself!! I developed an immunity to it after 7 years, and I flipped through most of the ADHD meds, was off meds for a few months(Oh, what a disaster that was!!) I finally settled on Strattera...I love it! It does everything I want it to do, and I have no side effects on me! I also take Prozac for depression. It works wonderfully, as well!!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2005, 6:59 pm

I have been on clomipramine since I was 12. I was put on Rispirodol when I was 14 and it didn't do anything. I was taken off it soon after.

I don't feel any different, but my family says the clomipramine makes a large difference.

ml05
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2005, 8:16 pm

Paxil- seems to work, I don't notice much difference
Abilify- same as above
THe above appear to work to others
Depakote- doesn't do much except keep me from staying awake in class, will be off soon.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2005, 9:11 pm

ive been on meds for 14 years and switched around alot. here is my current list:
Wellbutrin-gone next month but for depression
Ritalin-adhd
Depikote-anger
Ambien(probably will be dropped soon)-insomnia
There is also something new within the past few weeks which dialates my pupils and is supposed to be an anti-depressant which helps with anxiety but i cant remember the name. I guess it will replace Wellbutrin next month
and one horsepill of a vitamin
A

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2005, 9:19 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
When I was 12, i was mis diagnosed with depression, i was given Celexa, didnt work at all. Then i got Zyprexa, I gained 30 pounds in a month, they launched a class action lawsuit against the makers, i should have gotten in on that, then i took risperdal (sp?) Didnt work, i asked to be taken off it. then 3 months later i was dx'd with AS

i gained alot of weight with zyprexia. ever since they took me off, ive dropped 50 pounds and am down to 130.
A

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2005, 10:30 pm

Argh!! !...I hate med's.

4- Mis dx'd with Autism
5- ADHD and put on Ritalin
8- Off med's
9- dx'd with OCD, no med's
11- Adderal and Prozac for Depression & ADHD
13- Off prozac
13 (almost 14)- d'xd with AS
14- Off Adderal
16- Now, I'm on nothing and probably won't take anything ever again. I can't describe the things that Prozac and Adderal can do to your personality and all the miserable side effects. Prozac was the worse for me, a bit of occassional insomina, chest pains, rapid heartbeat, that was all after a year or so of taking it, and so I stopped. It also made my personality dull and boring. Adderal did the same.

Adderal, never overdose on Adderal, strange shi* happens. My eyes were red, dry and watery all day, I had a rapid heartbeat, and my eyes were bulging all day. Remember, NEVER overdose on anything. What happened is, they had just upped my dosage and put me on one pill rather than two. Well, I forgot, and I didn't after that.

To conclude, I don't trust myself on med's, it makes me wonder if there's anything mentally "wrong" with me, or if people just can't accept people for being wired differently.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2005, 12:38 am

When I was 9 I was misdiagnosed with ADD, and I was put on Ritalin. It sort of worked for a while. Then when I was about 12 I stopped taking it because I showed no difference whether I was on the medication or off it. Then when I was about 15 I started taking Adderall. I was diagnosed with AS not long after that. I have been taking Adderall for almost three years now, and it works fine for me. I trust myself much more when I have taken my medication.

Speedingbullet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2005, 9:05 am

back in second grade i started taking aderal, i had several raises in the dosage, but it didnt work as much as I needed it to, so then i switched to statera, that wasnt a good medication for my stomach :( and if i didnt eat or drink anything with it, I got sick to my stomach, the doctor reccomended that i took both adderal and strattera simultanioously, and he said the were a good combination, but I still had the exact problems as I had with stratera and they still didnt work as much as I needed them to. at the time I had only been diagnosed with ADD. but then i saw a new doctor, who said I had aspergers, and possibly light anxiety and she made me start taking metadate and zoloft, which I still take today.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2005, 10:18 am

I was put on Efexor 2 years ago to help with depression. Unfortunately the side effects were horrific, I was metabolising the drug too quickly so I was in constant withdrawal. I finally came off it in August last year after tapering the dose for four months.

After a while the depression symptoms returned unfortunately, so I went on Celexa three months ago, which seems much better for me.

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2005, 6:17 pm

i overdosed on zyprexia and it put me in a 2 day coma
A