Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PM
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 6:58 pm

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exch ... 18407.html

The blame-everything-else drama continues.

When will they lay the responsibility on the shooter?

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 9:59 pm

I think people like having something besides the shooter to blame because they want to believe "if we stop X, this will never happen again!"

They are deluding themselves of course. There will always be evil in this world.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 11:00 pm

People will do anything-- literally anything-- for the feeling of having done something and the illusion of safety.

Wears me out, and scares me to death.

How many terrible things are allowed to happen, simply so people can avoid anxiety, avoid responsibility, and go back to living in the delusion that life is hunky-dory and bad things happen to other people, bad people.

WHO has the "disorder," again???

stitch4518
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Dec 2012, 11:05 pm

Seems to be working though. My Mother and a friend of 20 years are acting strangely towards me all of a sudden. Even more uncomfortable than usual. It's not just scapegoating but outright ignorance.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 11:51 pm

Don't feel bad. I have a "friend" who's shunning me over all this. Same numb twit who says she'd be perfectly comfortable not having access to her kid during the school day for any reason if only she know he'd be safe.

Moron.

Guess what she does for a living??

She's a substitute special education aide. And I'm about 85% sure her kid is on the spectrum; I have told her as much but she's in utter and complete denial.

Gee. Glad she's not teaching *my* kids. Glad my kids are being raised by a reasonable, intelligent "sociopath."

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 12:39 am

the shooter didn't live in a vacuum. these other things may have been legitimate factors.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 12:47 am

Sorry, but anything, ANYTHING that leads to the extinction of guns is a brilliant and wonderful step.
Keep going protesters, keep going.

Good news to see America is finally taking those first few steps back to humanity again 8)

PM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 1:47 am

J-Greens wrote:
Sorry, but anything, ANYTHING that leads to the extinction of guns is a brilliant and wonderful step.

Good news to see America is finally taking those first few steps back to humanity again 8)

I could refute that on an extreme level, but i'm not going to waste my time on someone who would even make such a statement.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 2:25 am

J-Greens wrote:

Election year profits will help gun manufacturers ride this out. Gun sales crashed the FBI background database twice on black friday and sales have picked up tens of times over since then.

Also, many manufacturers have lucrative law enforcement and defense contracts.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 2:59 am

J-Greens wrote:

Good luck with that.

I highly doubt the governments of the world will give theirs up, and they're the ones who've historically utilized them to their worst (it's going on right now by so-called "just" governments and all the news is talking about is one small outlier in the US. Check out how many Syrians or Afghans have been killed). The world wasn't any better before the invention of firearms, just FYI and all. Arrows were killing all the same. Spears too.

(Though it's been people that have been killing others. It won't change until people change.)

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 10:36 am

I know I know, a bit too far now...but to think humans have stepped on the moon and returned, nothing is impossible given enough time.

But just to show how much progress can be made:

In October 2012, the Government announced that, following a public consultation, legislative changes would be introduced to strengthen the laws governing firearms. A new offence of 'possession with intent to supply' would be created and the maximum penalty for illegal importation of firearms increased to life imprisonment.

“The Government is clear that individuals who manufacture, acquire or purchase, sell or transfer or possess for sale or transfer prohibited guns for criminal use should face a punishment commensurate to the level of harm their actions cause to society. Their actions have a disproportionate effect in our communities and it is right that they should face tougher sentences.”

What's also interesting in terms of Uk statistics is:
Firearms offences are geographically concentrated in London, Greater Manchester and the West Midlands (Birmingham), which funnily enough, are the most Americanized gangland style cities in the UK. Coincidence? I don't think so.

The number of murders and killings in England and Wales has fallen to the lowest level in nearly 30 years, Office for National Statistics figures show. Police recorded 550 homicides in 2011-12, 88 fewer than the previous year and the lowest number since 1983. 550, isn't that the American average per day?

So, yes, my ideal is decades away, but some countries are getting closer and closer - 8)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 4:30 pm

^
As they also become closer and closer to Orwellian police states, and I'm not even talking about the guns there. The UK and Europe generally have chosen security over liberty, and so deserve neither. And they're getting exactly what they deserve.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 12:49 am

Dox47 wrote:
^
As they also become closer and closer to Orwellian police states, and I'm not even talking about the guns there. The UK and Europe generally have chosen security over liberty, and so deserve neither. And they're getting exactly what they deserve.

That's coming from America?!
Haha!

But I'll taking falling crime and homicide rates over America's problems.
I mean, who wouldn't?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 1:22 am

J-Greens wrote:
The number of murders and killings in England and Wales has fallen to the lowest level in nearly 30 years, Office for National Statistics figures show. Police recorded 550 homicides in 2011-12, 88 fewer than the previous year and the lowest number since 1983. 550, isn't that the American average per day?

So, yes, my ideal is decades away, but some countries are getting closer and closer - 8)

Interesting, your homicide rate had to go DOWN to reach a level found back when semiautomatic rifles and handguns were available in the UK!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 10:50 am

John_Browning wrote:
Interesting, your homicide rate had to go DOWN to reach a level found back when semiautomatic rifles and handguns were available in the UK!

Yeah to a time when he had Jimmy Saville doing what he wanted in hospitals, the Poll Tax,, Heysel, Hillsborough & a massive racism problem, yeah, life was all dandy back in the 80's weren't it? :roll:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 7:28 pm

J-Greens wrote:
But I'll taking falling crime and homicide rates over America's problems.
I mean, who wouldn't?

Hmm, a slightly greater chance of being murdered but roughly the same chance of being the victim of other crime, but much greater personal freedoms, vs a slightly lesser chance of murder and massive restrictions what you can say or own and hugely invasive and pervasive surveillance... I'd say quite a few people would choose the former over the latter.