Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What will you do?
Hide my disability 31%  31%  [ 16 ]
Show the world that I'm not afraid to say I have Autism 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
tell only if someone asks 29%  29%  [ 15 ]
tell anyone who will listen, and educate them about what autism really is 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 51

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 2:58 am

to dignify this with a response or not to? hmmm.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 10:28 am

It's either be a logical aspie, or the freak of nature.

I'll just keep trying to inform people if they ask or listen to me.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 11:14 am

Nasha66 wrote:
With the recent shooting by an Autistic, what will you do in regards to your disability?

Nothing different. Why would I? There is no correlation between autism and the Sandy Hook killings.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/19/ ... k-shooter/

Quote:
Carver says Asperger’s is not associated with violent behavior. He says he’s not considering it as a reason for Lanza’s rampage on Friday.

It's time to quit the uproar over this. There is nothing to it. All posts like this do is feed the hysteria. It would be really nice if people would quitting feeding into this crap.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 11:36 am

raisedbyignorance wrote:
I stopped telling people about my AS years ago. Not because of how I fear they will see me, but because it never made a real difference in the way they treat me or made them more understanding to the difficulties I have as a result. Some would even scratch their heads as if they had no idea what I'm talking about. It felt like a waste of conversation to explain something far too complex for their understanding.

people got to start somewhere with their understanding, and at least ones personal contacts could all be a little better informed, or have at least now met an aspie, which is good for everyone in the long run

it also helps explain things to sometimes mention it and thereby gain handicap

Last edited by Surfman on 21 Dec 2012, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 11:36 am

I will do as I always do: keep it relatively private. It's not like they need to know, especially because it has no negative impact on my performance at the workplace or anything.

The only thing I will do now that is different is not handle weapons (I'm not sure whether or not I will do so temporarily or indefinitely) out of respect for the victims at Sandy Hook.

Wogar
Raven
Raven

23 Dec 2012, 2:59 pm

EstherJ wrote:
There is no correlation. That's like comparing criminal likelihood to a person's hair color.

To be fair, I should point out that people with red hair are thought to be more passionate.

Red hair - Wikipedia

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 7:59 pm

Other than my parents, I would only tell my two closest friends and then go into a brief explanation as to what it is.

aspiebostonian
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2012, 8:13 pm

I've still seen nothing but speculation and comments by his parents that he had something we have no definitive proof he had. There are tons of reasons a person may not be able to make eye contact or socialize, and there are plenty of people who are smart who have something other than autism. Even all of these things together do not make an autistic if other symptoms are present. You are making things worse by continuing to spread the nonsense others have started. I don't want to stigmatize whatever he did have, but I see a possible misdiagnosis or cover up of something else and someone who clearly wasn't treated for whatever he did have. All of this, including the spreading of misinformation, needs to stop.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2013, 8:05 pm

It's just some experts that have no idea of what Autism and Asperger's are. There's no evidence linking violence and Autism whatsoever.