People who play video games, higher intelligence

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 11:38 pm

I think that it is very strange to use "people who play video games" as a category. It's sort of like talking about "people who watch movies". Everyone watches movies from time to time, and there are different kinds of movies - trashy movies, clever movies, pretentious movies, character-driven movies, lighthearted movies....

I wouldn't be surprised if violent people like to play violent video games. (Causation? Who knows...)

I also wouldn't be surprised if clever people like to play clever video games. (Causation? Who knows...)

The funny thing is that even a single video game can be approached in different ways. A good example is the GTA series. It is one of the favourite "violent video game" examples used by people who don't know much about video games. But I like the GTA games, and I don't like them because of the ability to cause violent mayhem. I like them because they are story-driven games with varied missions which challenge you to get 100%. You don't have to spend your time in between missions killing civilians - in fact it usually seems out of character to do so.

Last edited by Declension on 28 Dec 2012, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 11:39 pm

SpaceChem has you pick up atoms and assemble them without any type of collision, you have to plan two different conveyor routes carefully. To put it into perspective, it took me an hour to finish my trig exams last summer, it takes me 2 hours (and many mistakes) to finish a level on spacechem.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2012, 2:10 pm

Vomelche wrote:
http://www.thestar.com/living/article/1304289--iq-a-myth-study-says

People who play video games performed “significantly better” in terms of both reasoning and short-term memory.

I knew it.

That's actually interesting because I was, for the most part, a video game addict while growing up, and the most recent psychological evaluation of me in 10th grade showed that I had very superior reasoning and very superior short-term memory.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 12:11 pm

Strange, because every once in a while I will hear a group of dumb teenage boys on the bus bragging about their latest killstreak on Black Ops. One such group seriously thought it was a Tom Clancy game, for crying out loud.

Some games increase intelligence, and some reduce it. I don't know very many intelligent people in the CoD fan base. At least, I never ran into any of them when I tried the online multiplayer.

Question14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2013, 10:56 am

DialAForAwesome wrote:
rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
Unfortunately only a small minority of gamers actually apply their intelligence to real life. There's nothing smart about wasting 6 hours of your day in front of a TV screen when you could be out doing something constructive.

There's nothing constructive about sitting around on a forum for something you hate, either. At least the gamers have enough sense to live and let live. :?

oh dear.

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 12:24 pm

What do you mean "oh dear?" What I said is the truth. If rabidmonkey4262 wants to go all around the forum posting her anti-game rhetoric, she should at least practice what she preaches. Sitting in front of a computer taking pot shots at a demographic ON THEIR OWN FORUM isn't wise, nor is it a good way to pass the time. You do realize that I posted that because she'd been going to different subforums on here talking about how much she hates gamers, right? And then she says something that is utterly hypocritical and short-sighted, to say the least.

zeldafan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 3:51 pm

This study is both true and untrue. As far as IQ goes some little kids watch their parents play games and want to know what the game is saying. Sure some games have voice acting but what about your signs? (i was the kid BTW :)) If they do then they learn to read and then they grow up reading game screens and thus become excellent readers and typically like books about the game they chose (I.E if they were reading a fantasy game they will read more fantasy i guess. However some people use video games as an excuse to not do work. Example some teenager might be playing CoD and their parents tell them to do some work. They say after this match then proceed to join ANOTHER match and then brag about their killstreak to everyone in the match and not do work thus making then fail school and eventually live on the streets. ALSO THIS STUPID COMPUTER SKIPS TO RANDOM PARTS OF MY SENTENCES AND STARTS TYPING THERE! RAAAAAAAAWRG (nerdrage FTW!)

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 3:14 pm

What a bunch of nonsense this study's "intelligence" tests are! They are all timed, which isn't valid for someone like me, and it actually said my Stroop effect test score was in the 1st percentile, when I zoomed through and made about three mistakes total! My IQ is in the "50th percentile" according to this. And most of my "scores" were in the bottom 50th percentile. They said my "reasoning" is 27th percentile. I'm a scientist... Why so low? Because almost ALL of their tests, including the "verbal reasoning" ones use spatial stimuli. And I have NVLD. Go back to the drawing board on this one, Cambridge! :roll:

Nash: Is there a difference?

Arkio
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 9:35 pm

According to my experiences on the Playstation Network, it's full of uneducated ret*ds.