To the bicycling guitarist... or really anyone who cycles.

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 3:17 am

Most people I know have been in car accidents of some kind.

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Dec 2012, 3:37 am

auntblabby wrote:
everybody i've known who rode bikes has had at least one accident on said bike.

While your own personal experience says one thing, mine says something different (although neither of our firsthand accounts are scientifically valid). I don't know very many cyclists who have been in accidents and don't know anyone who was in an accident that would have resulted in their death if they weren't wearing a helmet.

With that said, I usually wear a helmet, but it's my choice whether or not to do so.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 4:07 am

death is not the worst thing that could happen to one. maiming accidents [AKA permanently disabling in some manner] sometimes can make one wish one were dead, at least this person. i want my old timeline back! :hmph:

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 6:14 am

The one time I fell off my bike and seriously hurt myself, I smashed up my knee. My head didn't even hit the ground.

NOC3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2012, 2:02 pm

I know a lot of people for whom biking and working on bikes is their profession. A couple have been hit by cars and injured. As a pretty rowdy collective we've smashed a lot of helmets on the roads and trails.

That recent accident I had almost broke my back as well... good thing is it has jump started my daily yoga routine back into practice though.

We are children of the light and some of us truly have no fear. This is a good thing and will help us through dark times.

I'm just trying to say that it will be easier if there is more of us around. Lets value our life.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 6:26 pm

If I rode mountain bikes and did jumps and went off trail and so on, sure I'd wear a helmet. If I rode faster than I do on the road I'd consider it. But my bike is in first gear all the time, I use the brakes as needed when going downhill. Most of the time I am only going about ten miles per hour. If I really really had to get off the bike safely I could just lay it down and step off.

Wearing a helmet would interfere with what I am doing artistically and spiritually. You are making a general statement about safety that does not apply in all situations or circumstances, so please don't presume that it does and preach it as gospel. As another poster indicated, in at least one crash he would probably have been hurt worse if he had been wearing a helmet.

I've ridden tens of thousands of miles doing what I do the past thirty years on the same bicycle. I am also not going to convert to a fixed gear bike. Again, you do not understand the artistic and spiritual circumstances of my particular situation. When it's my time to go, a helmet isn't gonna save me.

For non-bicycling guitarists and for my own kids, I'd recommend wearing a helmet as general practice. I'm sure those who work in emergency rooms would also recommend this. It isn't nearly as necessary on a bicycle as it is for a motorcycle, and as Alex pointed out if we're gonna talk about being safe then everyone should also always wear helmets when in a car. Bicycle helmets are light and not very intrusive for the amount of protection they give, but don't be so dang preachy please. It is human nature to be turned off by people telling you what to do, even if it is in your best interest, but even more if they don't really know all the circumstances but talk like they do.

Last edited by TheBicyclingGuitarist on 26 Dec 2012, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

NOC3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2012, 7:53 pm

We're all a bit preachy :D

I just really care about you all for some reason and want you to be here as long as possible.

We share the same divine intuition. Fearlessness is a good thing and should be nurtured.

I get it. Go push boundaries be they mental, physical or metaphysical. Don't WORRY, just BELIEVE in yourself, in others and in the tools you are so brilliantly able to create and use.

If it gives you more joy a certain way, do it that way... just remember to be giving and radiate that joy to the others around you.

Check this guy out...crystal child if there ever was one: Alex Honnold

I've been finding and collecting crystals since I can remember, climbing rocks since I was 8.

Venusflower67
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Dec 2012, 8:29 pm

Here in South Australia, helmets are compulsory, along with lights on both front and back of the bike. I can't hear properly, so I would be too scared to ride on the road anymore, given I cannot tell which direction sound is coming from. Besides that my balance is shot, too. Great pity as riding my bike used to keep me fit and I loved it. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 11:53 pm

Venusflower67 wrote:
Here in South Australia, helmets are compulsory, along with lights on both front and back of the bike. I can't hear properly, so I would be too scared to ride on the road anymore, given I cannot tell which direction sound is coming from. Besides that my balance is shot, too. Great pity as riding my bike used to keep me fit and I loved it. :(

the above trike should meet your needs. (clicky) on this link for more info
i ride one myself, it is a joy :) riding it is like 2nd nature, the second i first got on it. unfortunately, it is heavy [67#] and large [6 feet long] so must be transported in a trailer to whatever trail or road on which you normally ride.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 1:46 am

I support helmet wearing too. A helmet saved my brains when I got hit by a school bus while riding my bike. I landed on my head and rolled down a hill.

Hermes9

30 Dec 2012, 2:34 am

alex wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
The dangers come from motor vehicles.

As well as pedestrians and other bikes! I've taken damage from both.

My admonishion to cyclists: Ride with lights at night. Please. In most places it is required by law, and in all places, it's plain out insane to not do so. Get the best lights you can afford, but even the cheapest ones you can find will at least help you be seen. Reflectors are NOT sufficient.

Ride safe, love your bike! :)