Motor coordination-- Poor gross, very good fine?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 7:53 pm

My motor skills are bad, both fine and gross.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 10:07 pm

Extremely good gross and extremely poor fine. I have a hard time with handwriting and I don't think I'll ever learn to type properly , 3 fingers is the best I can do. I can't control my hands enough to draw.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2012, 10:20 pm

Interesting. My gross motor skills are appalling, which is why physical education was a subject that provoked high anxiety. I can't coordinate myself to catch a ball or run smoothly, and heaven help me if I have to do both at the same time. Strangely, I wasn't too bad at aiming, and could often get the basketball through the hoop - as long as there wasn't a game going on around me at the same time! But as a standalone exercise, I quite enjoyed it.

As an adult I don't have to play sport, but I'm constantly bumping into things. My doctor once commented about the number of bruises I have on my legs. I'm so used to it I barely notice when I make another one. Sometimes I find a spectacular bruises and think, "When did I do that?"

Fine motor skills are much better, if a mixed bag. My handwriting is terrible, unless I concentrate very hard, yet I can draw reasonably well.

decoyalone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2012, 10:23 am

I'm horrible in both categories. Every once in a while I can carve or draw decently, but those moments come and go.

The only thing motor/coordination-wise that I can think of that I'm particularly good at is playing the Clarinet (I would love to play the piano, but I'm just not coordinated enough to play it), and archery.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2012, 10:49 am

I can do hand needlework, which requires some fine control, though I don't like to use superfine threads or work on anything microscopic - mainly because it strains my eyes.

But I have trouble riding a bicycle, and I've never been good at sports or dancing. I bump into things, and after doing housework or yard work I invariably find a bruise or two somewhere because I was so intent on what I was doing I didn't notice I bumped or banged into something.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 12:25 pm

My handwriting is OK, I can draw very well, I can sew.

However, I could never learn the correct way to tie shoelaces, never learn to ride a bike, I was useless at catching a ball in team sports and no-one ever wanted me on their team. I am very clumsy, I have proprioception problems in that I am always burning myself on the oven and iron despite being aware of their placement, I bump into doorways, trip, slip, miss my footing, and generally bumble around. I have walked into lamp posts and pillar boxes before now (and been in such a dream that I apologised to them!). My chiropractor did some balance tests on me and I was rubbish.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum