Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 8:28 am

Tahitiii wrote:
Poverty.
That would be my excuse. Thinking about Autreat is depressing because I can’t go. And I’m only a five-hour drive away.
It’s a big world. Really, really big. Probably for most people, getting there would be more expensive than being there.

I think the lack of interest might also have something to do with the inherent problem of herding cats.

Then there's mobility issues. Some people couldn't get there alone.
KenG wrote:
...Autreat is a non-political, non-activist gathering of Autistics....
Get real. Of course it’s political. Anyone who challenges the authority of the oppressor class is political.
A bunch of Autistics doing something without professional help? That’s downright heretical.
I agree that this thread belongs in the general forum, but to deny that Autreat is political is absurd.

I strongly suspect that Autscape has a much easier time because of the distance issue. The US long-distance public transporation system (read: Amtrak) is a mess. To make things more of an issue in this case, California (PA) is roughly 45 minutes from the closest rail station, in an area without effecive public transportation. While the traditional solution to this issue is ride-sharing, here we have an event that caters to a group with higher than average (and completely understandable) social anxiety.

In the short run, the event is presumably where it is because it's inexpensive. California, PA is better than some of the previous locations, through I would have prefered Ambler, PA (near Philly and fairly close to the PA Turnpike).

To the second point made above, let's look at "politics" in the traditional american sense, Autreat is not run by a political, religious, or governmental group (as far as I know). Yes, the event is located at a state-owned University, but I would think that's as far as it goes.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 9:30 am

Tahitiii wrote:
KenG wrote:
...Autreat is a non-political, non-activist gathering of Autistics....
Get real. Of course it’s political. Anyone who challenges the authority of the oppressor class is political.
Autreat is merely a community gathering by and for Autistics. How does it challenge the authority of the oppressor class?
Tahitiii wrote:
A bunch of Autistics doing something without professional help? That’s downright heretical.
Had Autreat been widely publicized then perhaps it would have been heretical. Sadly, Autreat never attracted much attention. A bunch of Autistics running our own event, without publicizing it much, is not heretical at all, because it has zero influence on the wider world's perception of Autistics.

I would love Autreat to have some influence which could be described as "political", but this is still far from happening.

http://www.autscape.org/

DonkeyHotei
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 May 2013, 9:55 am

Preliminary fees for 2013 are effectively $10 more than 2012, due to the lower refundable deposit:

Code:
Fees for adults and youth include a refundable room key deposit of $50. Fees for children do not include key deposits. If you want your child under 6 to have his/her own room key, add $50 for the key deposit. Key deposit requires the return of the key on Friday (or earlier) by the key return deadline.

FEE CATEGORY                                            4-day total
A Adults with full-time jobs                            $605
B Adults without full-time jobs                         $550
C Youth 12-17                                           $550
D Children 5-11                                         TBA
E Children under 5, with bed                            TBA
F Children under 5, without bed                         TBA
G Adults living on disability or public assistance      $385
H Support people                                        $365

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 10:55 am

Yippee!

Things have changed, and now there’s a slightly better chance that I can go.
I’ll know, one way or another, in a few weeks.

If I can go, I will be driving. Does anyone want to share a ride? I’m in North Jersey.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 3:14 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
If I can go, I will be driving. Does anyone want to share a ride? I’m in North Jersey.

You may want to ask this on the joint Autreat/Autscape thread in the General Autism Discussion forum:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt226674.html

You could also ask this on the Autreat-info mailing list:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autreatinfo/

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 8:23 am

AgentPalpatine wrote:
I strongly suspect that Autscape has a much easier time because of the distance issue. The US long-distance public transporation system (read: Amtrak) is a mess.
Amtrak and Greyhound are not as good as European trains and buses, but they are reasonable. I spent many hours traveling on Amtrak, Greyhound and other American trains/buses, to get from New York City to Autreats in Ambler, PA, Bradford, PA, and Johnstown, PA. It wasn't difficult.

Whoever really wants to come to Autreat finds ways to get there.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 2:49 am

Autreat 2013's presentations list has been released:
http://www.autreat.com/aut13presentations.html

For your convenience, here it is:

The Real Ethics of Autism

Alexander Cheezem

Many situations that advocates - and self-advocates - get involved in involve various forms of unethical conduct. Regrettably, the existing discussions of ethics as they apply to autism are generally poor.

This also presents a practical problem, as one of our greatest tools in these situations is the ability to bring detailed ethical criticism to bear. This presentation will focus on professional ethics, surveying the roles and expectations of ethical professionals in the world of autism - and highlight those principles and codes most useful to advocates and self-advocates. Potential applications and use of these documents will be discussed.

Strategies for controlling and altering one’s own mental state: An advanced course in dealing with sensory issues and environment

Marcie
Stan P.

Sensory input is linked at a basic level to one's state of mind. Any changes in one's sensory environment or any changes in how a person perceives sensory input has the potential to change that person's state of conscious. While variations in one's state of consciousness are normal and natural, not all sensory input creates a pleasant effect. This talk will focus on methods for intentionally altering one's sensory perception and maintaining control over one's mental state.

The presentation will address:
- states of consciousness
- light sensitivities, adaptations, alternatives, and treatments
- auditory assistance
- tactile stimulation
- state of mind, altered states of consciousness and spirituality

Marcie is an autistic adult, with an educational background in physics and anthropology. She was diagnosed with Sensory Integration Disorder prior to learning about autism. She is interested in everything relating to sensory perception and state of mind and the relation between the two. Marcie is currently employed in the environmental field and resides with her feisty tortoiseshell cat.

Stan is an autistic adult whose educational background is in aerospace engineering. In his present work in patent law, he specializes in high technology cases, including optics and biomedical equipment, including electrical impedance myography, artificial intelligence and cognition-based computer technology. He lives with his primary significant other, Charlie, a Cavalier/Carolina Barking Dog mix.

Autistifying a Habitat: organizational & reminder strategies that even worked for me.

Kassiane A. Sibley

Contrary to what they might have said growing up, it's ok to set up our environments in a non-standard way to suit our brains! This presentation will provide some ideas to set up an Autistic-friendly "get stuff done/remember what I have and need/tell people I can't talk to them with no drama" household. Ideally my ideas will kick off a lively discussion with participants sharing their needs and their solutions. We will also have the opportunity to make Autreat-inspired interaction receptivity boards for home or elsewhere use.

Kassiane Sibley is a vintage 1982 Autistic who has done the Autistic activism thing since 1999 or so. She lives in Oregon, goes to school, teaches and judges gymnastics, writes the profane Radical Neurodivergence Speaking blog, and is one of the brains behind the We Are Like Your Child collaborative blog. Kassiane keeps all her executive function and working memory on the walls, and has 2 cats with seizure detecting superpowers.

Finding and Developing Romantic Relationships: An Autistic Perspective

Laura Morett (chair), Laura Butler, Chuck Coleman, Ian Ford, Sara Willig

For most people, autistic or allistic, finding and developing a long-term romantic relationship is a major life goal. This panel session will address the rewards and challenges of finding and developing a successful romantic relationship as an autistic individual. All panelists are autistic, and range in their relationship experience from single to married, and in their orientations from cisgender to transgender and from straight to queer. Through question and response-oriented discussion focused on the panelists' experience, questions, ideas, and solutions about the romantic relationships of autistic individuals will be formulated. This discussion will provide attendees with a range of perspectives to consider, providing insight how autistic individuals can establish successful romantic relationships.

Laura Morett (chair) was diagnosed in 1999, attended Autreat in 2011, and is single at the time of writing.

Laura Butler has been attending Autreat since 2010 and is currently dating a young man who is also autistic.

Chuck Coleman, diagnosed in 2009, has attended Autreat since 2010 and has been married for 23 years to a neurotypical.

Ian Ford lives with a family of 4 in Albuquerque, NM and is working towards an autistic-run retreat center in the mountains.

Sara Willig was diagnosed in 2008, and has attended Autreat four times, thrice since being diagnosed.

Spatial inclusion - not just a right of access or to be to tolerated: Understandings from a four year study looking at autistics' spatial experience.

Sarah Clemerson

I have recently completed my Ph.D. in the United Kingdom looking at autistic people's perception of and functioning in space and what makes it problematic. Most research with autistics is carried out in laboratories, with little interaction between them and the researcher. In this study, the research took place in the homes, travel, work, virtual and leisure spaces of the participants. This resulted in ongoing dialogue between the participants and the researcher about their experience. This workshop will present information from this dialogue as starting point for discussion of the diversity of autistic peoples' social and spatial experience and our understanding and treatment of those whose experience of autism differs from our own.

Sarah Clemerson recently completed her PhD investigating autistic people's spatial perception and functioning and what makes it problematic, funded by the Economic and Social Research Council of the United Kingdom. She is a social worker, landscape architect, and wannabe academic. She was on the community engagement team for disabled Londoners for the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (LOCOG), is a member of the London Autistic Rights Movement, (LARM), and the Developmental Adult Neurodiversity Association (DANDA).

Out Autistics: Doing Public Activism and Taking Care of Ourselves

Paula C. Durbin-Westby

This presentation will discuss aspects of being an "out Autistic." Once we have made the decision to disclose our autism, we will deal with a variety of situations, some anticipated and some not. How do we best take care of ourselves in various situations? (This presentation is not about how to decide whether or not to disclose; it is about what happens after one is "out" in some form.)

Paula C. Durbin-Westby is an ardent neurodiversity proponent. In 2011 Paula started Autism Acceptance Day, which has grown into Autism Acceptance Month and now has become International Autism Acceptance Decade, with various events in the works for the time frame 2010-2020. She is an Autistic musician, writer, and idea-generator. She is also a parent and tries to see both sides of the so-called self-advocate/parent divide.

Loud Hands: From the View of the Ivory Tower

Dana

This session will focus on an examination of notions of visibility, knowledge, power, and intelligibility primarily through an analysis ASAN's Loud Hands anthology. Loud Hands will be explored through the viewpoint of characterizing it as an Autistic communal counter-narrative that prizes the experiential knowledge of autistics over dominant and "expert" knowledge. These ideas will be put in conversation with various academic terms and concepts.

Dana is an autistic, queer, medically complex, Jewish, cisgender female who lives with multiple disabilities and chronic pain. She has just begun a program to get a Masters in Public Health in Sociomedical Sciences alongside training to be a Family Nurse Practitioner with a subspecialty in Women's Health. Dana's goal is to work with the LGBTQ and disabled communities to provide queer loving, disability friendly, and patient centered healthcare.

"I'm Just A Mom": A Discussion For Parents And The Autistic Community To Work Together

Rachael Zubal-Ruggieri

Rachael Zubal-Ruggieri, Web-Based Outreach, is Coordinator of Computer & Technology Outreach and Information Coordinator at the SU the Center on Human Policy, Law, and Disability Studies. In 28 years working at the Center, her work has evolved into the coordination of informational materials for the Center and its funded projects, specifically websites, Internet mailing lists, and the design and production of promotional materials. She is also knowledgeable about web design and accessibility, and has published two articles on web accessibility for people with developmental disabilities. Mother to a 10-year-old autistic child, Rachael is currently enrolled in the Child and Family Studies program, with a Disability Studies Minor, at Syracuse University.

Some thoughts about direct action

Jim Sinclair

This presentation will review examples of various types of civil rights actions and how they are perceived and received by broader society.

Jim Sinclair, an Autistic adult, is coordinator of Autism Network International. Jim also does freelance consulting and advocacy as a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor, runs the private home-based Moosepuppy Animal Rescue, and does frequent duty as a veterinary transportation provider, cat food chef, and sometimes cat bed. Jim has been involved for decades in advocacy and activism involving disability rights, animal rights, and intersex issues.

"Ask an NT" Panel

Moderator: Jim Sinclair

Panelists to be announced

Mainstream autism conferences often have panels of autistic people to answer questions about the experience of autism. This is our chance to ask a panel of neurotypical people all those things we've wondered about NTs and why they do the things they do.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jul 2013, 12:28 am

KenG wrote:
Sadly, threads about Autreat never raise much interest here on WP.
It has always been a mystery to me -
Surely spending a couple of days in an Autistic-run environment should appeal to most members of WP? Or am I missing something here?

Perhaps we do not manage to explain to WP's membership how reassuring, nice, unique, revolutionary and inspiring Autreat is?
If so, what do we need to do in order to explain it to WP's membership?
Put some video cameras at Autreat and broadcast it live to WP? (but the Planning Committee will not allow us to do that, because of privacy concerns)

I am actually interested in Autreat, but there is no way I can afford to go in the near future. I've read quite a lot about it even before I knew for sure that I was autistic, and it sounded quite interesting.

It is possible that if I get SSI approved finally that I may be able to attend the next Autreat. But if I can't go, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 8:18 am

Verdandi wrote:
I am actually interested in Autreat, but there is no way I can afford to go in the near future.
If money is the issue, please try the suggestions at http://autreat.com/autfund.html
Then, if you still have a funding gap, apply for an ANI scholarship to fill it. The ANI scholarship application is in the Files section for the Autrreat-information yahoogroup:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autreatinfo/files/

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jul 2013, 5:47 pm

Reading that ANI page is just confusing. So many details to process. I'll try to take another look later.

I appreciate the information, however. Thanks much.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 10:52 am

KenG wrote:
Autreat 2013's presentations list has been released:
http://www.autreat.com/aut13presentations.html
Autreat 2013's schedule of presentations has been released:

TUESDAY, AUGUST 6

9:00-10:45 a.m.
Some thoughts about direct action
Jim Sinclair

11:15 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
The Real Ethics of Autism
Alexander Cheezem

2:30-4:15 p.m.
Finding and Developing Romantic Relationships: An Autistic Perspective
Laura Morett (chair), Laura Butler, Chuck Coleman, Ian Ford, Sara Willig

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 7

Spatial inclusion - not just a right of access or to be to tolerated:
Understandings from a four year study looking at autistics' spatial experience
Sarah Clemerson

Loud Hands: From the View of the Ivory Tower
Dana

"I'm Just A Mom": A Discussion For Parents And The Autistic Community To Work Together
Rachael Zubal-Ruggieri

THURSDAY, AUGUST 8

Strategies for controlling and altering one’s own mental state: An advanced course in dealing with sensory issues and environment
Marcie
Stan P.

Out Autistics: Doing Public Activism and Taking Care of Ourselves
Paula C. Durbin-Westby

Autistifying a Habitat: organizational & reminder strategies that even worked for *me*
Kassiane A. Sibley

FRIDAY, AUGUST 9

"Ask an NT" panel

11:15 a.m.-1 p.m.
Farewell gathering

------------------------------

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 5:12 am

ADVANCE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED TO ATTEND AUTREAT.
REGISTRATION MUST BE RECEIVED BY JULY 25, 2013.
If you want to attend, then please save the following file on your computer and complete the form:
http://www.autreat.com/aut13_registration.doc (You may need to change permission to allow editing).
Then, email the file to: registration at autreat.com

In addition, print the completed form and snail-mail the hardcopy, together with payment, in US dollars, to:
Autism Network International
P.O. Box 35448
Syracuse
NY 13235-5448
USA

glow
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 6:00 pm

Have you considered being a moderator?

Consider it :)