Yes 61%  61%  [ 23 ]
No 26%  26%  [ 10 ]
Don't care. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 38

Daniel_is_bored
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Dec 2012, 9:06 am

I like to sleep with a fan or something going because I sleep very light and things like wind or the furnace coming on at night.Now that it's winter I just leave a heater on low in my room all the time.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 9:15 am

I love white noise. It helps me to sleep better.

C0MPAQ
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2012, 9:29 am

Do you mean actual white noise (look it up) or just some repetitive noise (like a PC fan)?

Actual white noise is rather annoying, because it is so random. If its about repetitive noises which suppress background noises (cars, birds, wind, people, etc.), its generally better I think, but the pattern has to be very very exact and simple on repetition or else my perception won't automatically pick up on it. If you run a PC fan, usually the resonance frequencies that come and go appear way too random to adapt to it.

Personally, I like to just listen to drum an bass music, because it fills all the frequencies pretty equally and it is repetitive but not so repetitive that you figure out the other noises it suppresses.

I was banned 1 minute after creating a thread which criticized the moderation, by mentioning issues like political censorship, social problems and problems of autism unfriendliness, especially in the chat.

Please contact me on http://aspiefriends.net

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 9:55 am

Yes! This is my favourite kind:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPodpYu_Ruo[/youtube]

I have downloaded this and play it in the background when I am trying to sleep or when there are too many noises which are upsetting me; I have sensory problems in relation to loud and unpredictable noises so the constant white-noise-like sound of the rain helps me IMMENSELY. To any autistic people who have sensory problems who haven't tried it already it comes highly recommended. Of course for some people it would probably be horrible but for me it is bliss.

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2012, 10:22 am

No. When I want to sleep, I don't want any sort of noise. Just complete silence.

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2012, 10:37 am

White noise doesn't really put me to sleep (but doesn't keep me up). My brain is the one that keeps me awake (insomnia here, takes me about an hour to fall asleep). Not much has helped me over the years, other than maybe taking sleeping meds (but I don't take them anymore, and only took them for maybe a whole month in my life). Since I don't really trust the BS the FDA spews out of their butts, I don't take their crap-pills anymore.

Also maybe strong enough melatonin pills might help, or maybe something to slow my brain down enough to do it as well. I would have to take a lot of melatonin to effect me at all though (probably close to 20mg), which is mostly due to my brain not wantin' to shut up/slow down. I'll also be 30 in 5 months, so maybe that's also part of it, but I really just don't think so. My body still feels as if I'm in my teens (and I still think I'm not even close to getting old yet.) One of the things I honestly think works is; if you think you're still young, your body will follow that thought process. If you think you're getting old, then your body will surely follow that thought process. Also taking care of your body obviously helps in that regard, but you get the idea.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 10:40 am

I like the sound that rain makes on the awning outside; it relaxes me and I sleep better when it rains.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 10:42 am

It like to have an air filter on when I sleep--masks the road noise--we live on a busy street.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 11:34 am

I use a CD of rain which loops until I wake up the next morning. I made it from a program called Atmosphere Deluxe. Works like a charm.

toliman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2012, 11:36 am

disturbingly, it's worked itself from white noise ... into that sort of pink noise/computer fan noise ... if it's really quiet.

i can fall asleep on a couch if it's in the same room, and whisper quiet.

without any noise, i start to "hear" next door neighbours walking around, people moving in their beds, all that. just out of the stretch of hearing, at 5am ... sigh. i usually leave the TV on when i'm on the computer so its blocking all the neighbour's chatter out. also birds. insects.

for someone who lives near a beach, i don't hear the ocean at all, just people driving past, and walking to the beach in sandals and flip-flops/thongs
right now it's new years, so there's a plastic bag full of broken glass or something up the street that people keep driving over...

the fan noise helps.

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2012, 11:43 am

I hate it. It makes me want to punch the source.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 12:06 pm

I prefer brown noise.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 12:18 pm

I hate white noise. It's just more noise to me.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 5:29 pm

I love white noise, and music. Both are stress-relieving.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 6:11 pm

I hear music in it; sometimes very beautiful music I wish I could remember.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

31 Dec 2012, 6:18 pm

Yeah. My fan in my room is on 24/7. Although I'm not a huge fan of noise, I hate it when it's deathly quiet.