Are there autistic serial killers or only psychopathic ones?

Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

GnothiSeauton
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2013, 8:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
Jaden wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
aspie_giraffe wrote:
Sometimes i swear I'm on the border of psychopathy, because i think of disturbing ways to kill people at times mostly when I'm angry and i like to play mind games to learn about human psychology (my very NT mum taught me emotional manipulation skills which she thought would help me understand NTs better) but the difference is i know it is wrong and bad and that there are many reasons i shouldn't kill people when they piss me off i also feel bad when i hurt people that i love and it makes me sad and i want to make them feel better

ummm aren't you planning to become a doctor? If you hold such thoughts then I would reconsider your career choices. Only a suggstion.

I'm sure doctors know more ways to kill someone than about 90% of the people in the world, so I don't think there's much of a reason to fuss about it unless this person actually has homicidal tendencies (and from where I'm sitting, it sounds like that's not the case).
If thinking about things was a crime, everyone would be a prisoner in maximum security prisons. :lol:

I'm not sugesting they aren't already out there. Just gently putting it to Aspie giraffe that people with psychopathic fantasies are not really a good fit for occupations that involve saving lives.

That's an incorrect assumption. In fact a very large number of surgeons are believed to have a psychopathic personality. And in the end it's a personality type, which is more like software (developmental with predispositions for it), whereas autism is a different form of wiring in your brain from NT, comparable to hardware. Autistic people sure as hell can develop a psychopathic personality. In fact most are secondary psychopaths, due to social and cultural conditioning.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 9:54 pm

GnothiSeauton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Jaden wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
aspie_giraffe wrote:
Sometimes i swear I'm on the border of psychopathy, because i think of disturbing ways to kill people at times mostly when I'm angry and i like to play mind games to learn about human psychology (my very NT mum taught me emotional manipulation skills which she thought would help me understand NTs better) but the difference is i know it is wrong and bad and that there are many reasons i shouldn't kill people when they piss me off i also feel bad when i hurt people that i love and it makes me sad and i want to make them feel better

ummm aren't you planning to become a doctor? If you hold such thoughts then I would reconsider your career choices. Only a suggstion.

I'm sure doctors know more ways to kill someone than about 90% of the people in the world, so I don't think there's much of a reason to fuss about it unless this person actually has homicidal tendencies (and from where I'm sitting, it sounds like that's not the case).
If thinking about things was a crime, everyone would be a prisoner in maximum security prisons. :lol:

I'm not sugesting they aren't already out there. Just gently putting it to Aspie giraffe that people with psychopathic fantasies are not really a good fit for occupations that involve saving lives.

That's an incorrect assumption. In fact a very large number of surgeons are believed to have a psychopathic personality. And in the end it's a personality type, which is more like software (developmental with predispositions for it), whereas autism is a different form of wiring in your brain from NT, comparable to hardware. Autistic people sure as hell can develop a psychopathic personality. In fact most are secondary psychopaths, due to social and cultural conditioning.

Just to be clear, because there already are surgeons with psychopathic tendencies that makes it OK for people who suspect they have psychopathic tendencies to register anyway?
BTW autism does not preclude psychopathic behavior, it's comorbid.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:30 am

GnothiSeauton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Jaden wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
aspie_giraffe wrote:

I have serious doubts as to the veracity of those opinions, largely because it's a documented fact that people on the spectrum are less likely to be psychopathic than most "normal" people. That doesn't mean someone with Autism can't be psychopathic, it simply means that it is highly unlikely to be the case, and even if they were, that has nothing to do with Autism/AS, and that fact has also been documented. As far as what is believed to be true in respect to surgeons, that is entirely speculation based on the opinions of other people, such speculation is the driving point of people who think Autism and AS have commonality with psychopathic behavior as well, and frankly such speculation has no place here. If you believe that Autism is a precursor to psychopathic behavior, then I'm sorry but you're wrong, and there are facts out there that prove that you're wrong.

AshleyT
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2013, 4:55 am

ProvokesThinking wrote:
I just ask this out of curiosity.

One of my last interests is serial killers. I know what autism is because my brother has it and I have it in an undiagnosed form, and I think most people with autism wouldn't be able to do this. What I notice is that almost all of them seemed to have psychopathy. I know that the majority of autistic people aren't criminals, although a very tiny percentage commits crimes, what I wonder about already for a long time is if there are known any cases of people with autism, because it seems like this doesn't occur, but I wonder if there are any cases known of serial killers who are most likely to be autistic, obviously weren't psychopaths and may have had autism or did have certain problems or were diagnosed with autism.

The only one which I can think of:

- Ted Kaczinsky

All the others I read about are obviously psychopaths because of, for instance, their manipulative behaviour.

I've done a lot of research into this, a lot of reading and a lot of discussion.

Firstly, I think a person can be a psychopath with or without Aspergers (i've seen these Aspergers-types show specific traits).
There can be people with ADHD and be a psychopath (show different traits to the AS psychopath core, in some ways these can be more dangerous, in some ways less so) - my dad was one.

Please note, much of what I am saying below is not my opinion, i'm just trying to give alternative views and possibilities so please don't take offence :).

I think certain attributes of AS make it appear like psychopathy when there are many cases where they are not. I also think there are certain traits which if become negative it allows the person with AS/ADHD is more easily lead to be one - not understanding the pain they are encorcing on others for example? Learning to be manipulative and seeing the reward gained whilst not understanding the negative outcomes? (i'm aware that lots of people with ASD do infact have great empathy rather than less which is what is perceived)

I don't think that all people with ASD are psychopaths, I think they can become them if certain problems arn't addressed. Specifically, from what i've seen (with the one I had a run in with) they blame everyone else, and because they blame everyone else, all other people become more like targets for revenge and inflicting misery.

The person I had a run-in with however claimed Aspergers, and was diagnosed, but i'm not 100% sure he was. At age 18, he had social knowledge well beyond...although social knowledge on manipulation rather than social specifics. I guess if he hyperfocused on learning to be manipulative (to manipulate his mum) or it was one of his 'special interests' - would this be possible for someone with AS? It's a long story with what happened, he had epic attention to detail as well.

So I think one key to this is if a person doesn't learn to take responsibility for their own actions.

There's a book called 'Almost a Psychopath' - is explained the appearence of ASD/ADHD and other conditions looking like a psychopath and also explained what an 'Almost psychopath is' whilst giving stories and examples. It was a really, really interesting read.

bunnyrunn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Feb 2013, 9:55 am

Very interesting thread...

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 10:47 am

I think that for the most part, Serial Killers are psychopaths and not aspies, but Mass Killers (guy shoots up mall then kills himself type of guy) are more likely to be autistic.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ProvokesThinking
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2013, 11:35 am

Ganondox wrote:
I think that for the most part, Serial Killers are psychopaths and not aspies, but Mass Killers (guy shoots up mall then kills himself type of guy) are more likely to be autistic.

The frustration of how people react to people with Aspergers and constant social isolation could lead to Mass Shootings indeed.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 3:29 pm

ProvokesThinking wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

The frustration of how people react to people with Aspergers and constant social isolation could lead to Mass Shootings indeed.

@Both: Based on what? Frustration from everyday life? That is no different than about 80% of the population of the planet, everyone has frustrations that they deal with and everyone reacts differently to those frustrations. Only a handfull of those people even think about shooting people, and even less of those actually plan to do it, and by shear math alone, they are far more likely to be non-autistic than autistic.

Bar Graph (sort of): Please note this is based on the information that I currently have which can be found Here

Non-autistic people in the world: Estimated at about 7 billion people.
||||||||||||||||||||| ----more people = a higher percentage/chance

Autistic people in the world: Estimated at about 1.7% of Earth's population (46 million people)
|| ----less people = a lower percentage/chance

ProvokesThinking
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Feb 2013, 3:45 pm

Jaden wrote:
ProvokesThinking wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

@Both: Based on what? Frustration from everyday life? That is no different than about 80% of the population of the planet, everyone has frustrations that they deal with and everyone reacts differently to those frustrations. Only a handfull of those people even think about shooting people, and even less of those actually plan to do it, and by shear math alone, they are far more likely to be non-autistic than autistic.

Bar Graph (sort of): Please note this is based on the information that I currently have which can be found Here

Autistic people in the world: Estimated at about 1.7% of Earth's population (46 million people)

Ahh common. I have aspergers myself and I can tell you that you can get a lot frustration of it because people get angry at you for things which you don't understand and you don't know how to react to other people. It might be true that there aren't a lot of autistic people in the world, I don't deny that. But I think that autistic people get much easier frustrated because of misunderstanding of them. Don't you remember the case of William Freund from this forum who was diagnosed with Aspergers, was hated by everyone and even hated by people on this site and decided to shoot at people who he judged to be responsable for that?

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 5:33 pm

ProvokesThinking wrote:
Jaden wrote:
ProvokesThinking wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Ahh common. I have aspergers myself and I can tell you that you can get a lot frustration of it because people get angry at you for things which you don't understand and you don't know how to react to other people. It might be true that there aren't a lot of autistic people in the world, I don't deny that. But I think that autistic people get much easier frustrated because of misunderstanding of them. Don't you remember the case of William Freund from this forum who was diagnosed with Aspergers, was hated by everyone and even hated by people on this site and decided to shoot at people who he judged to be responsable for that?

I have AS as well, but I don't think about shooting a bunch of people because I'm "frustrated" with society and how they treat me. I simply avoid them and move on, like any sane person would do. People like Lanza or the one you mentioned (never heard of him) were psychopathic, but not because they had Autism or AS, or even necessarily because he was hated by other people. They chose the path that they did out of a sense of revenge, and that is an idea, not a condition. AS/Autism didn't make them act out of revenge.

In short, Autism/AS is not a precursor to violent behavior, and treating it as if it were, will only lead to problems for innocent people.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Feb 2013, 5:46 pm

GnothiSeauton wrote:

Citation needed.

GnothiSeauton
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 8:04 am

Verdandi wrote:
GnothiSeauton wrote:

Citation needed.

My apologies. I wrote that in a drunken rage. Should have kept my fingers stimming around a gun trigger or something more useful/productive instead of the keyboard. Simply a personal observation of ASD adults who have to deal with life in differing socio/economic and cultural circumstances. Self defensive mechanisms tend to desensitize people just as much as offensive mechanisms when it comes to survival. Should have written "There seems to be a tendency for ASD people to develop secondary psychopathy due to social and cultural conditioning as I have observed in my own personal experience, as limited as it is". Humble apologies, I will try to be more sensitive and observant of proper protocol in my internet ramblings :)

P.S.
Per the surgeons having a psychopathic personality, I have one relative who is a surgeon specializing in both gyneacology and andrology and another relative who is a cardiac surgeon. Their distance and amusement when it comes to other peoples' perception of their work leave me without a doubt as to their nature. Plus they both have this polite "I pity the fool" expressive look on their faces when listening to my soliloquies during family gathering. Sometimes I think they would both enjoy having their way with me using a scalpel, were I not their relative (in fact the first one had some professional experience with moving my testicles into their proper place when I was a kid).
I had the dubious pleasure of stitching myself up on numerous occasions and know a thing or two about hyper focus (being hypo-sensitive helps as opioids tend to distaste me on a peculiar level).
Just saying.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 1:58 pm

GnothiSeauton wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
GnothiSeauton wrote:

Citation needed.

Per the surgeons having a psychopathic personality, I have one relative who is a surgeon specializing in both gyneacology and andrology and another relative who is a cardiac surgeon. Their distance and amusement when it comes to other peoples' perception of their work leave me without a doubt as to their nature. Plus they both have this polite "I pity the fool" expressive look on their faces when listening to my soliloquies during family gathering. Sometimes I think they would both enjoy having their way with me using a scalpel, were I not their relative (in fact the first one had some professional experience with moving my testicles into their proper place when I was a kid).
I had the dubious pleasure of stitching myself up on numerous occasions and know a thing or two about hyper focus (being hypo-sensitive helps as opioids tend to distaste me on a peculiar level).
Just saying.

But even then, that's two people out of an entire field of medicine that worldwide easily has a few hundred thousand (if not more) other doctors doing the exact same things (fields of study).
You can't judge the behavior and tendencies of the many by the observations of the few or one. That's a path that society takes in relation to Aspergers/Autism and they're just as wrong for doing so. And really, look where it's gotten everyone, people blindly hating other people based on personal observations and opinions that are gathered from the worst bits of humankind and applied to everyone with any (even speculative) similarity.

GnothiSeauton
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 2:22 pm

Jaden wrote:
But even then, that's two people out of an entire field of medicine that worldwide easily has a few hundred thousand (if not more) other doctors doing the exact same things (fields of study).
You can't judge the behavior and tendencies of the many by the observations of the few or one. That's a path that society takes in relation to Aspergers/Autism and they're just as wrong for doing so. And really, look where it's gotten everyone, people blindly hating other people based on personal observations and opinions that are gathered from the worst bits of humankind and applied to everyone with any (even speculative) similarity.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm simply trying to point out that among the variety of people we encounter in our lifetimes, there are obvious observable tendencies that stem from certain phenotypes. I'm often described by strangers as a psychopath, yet it's only an image I'm projecting in order to protect myself from undue influence (I have to adapt to the various forms of bullying I encounter and correspondingly people adapt their view of me). Please read this example I wrote in a separate post pertaining to a similar topic, that I consider to be a defining part of my life:

GnothiSeauton wrote:
As a 10 year old kid, during the summer months I started hunting frogs and then would release them back to the pond at the community garden my mother was a member of.

The neighbour next plot over noticed that and showed me something that stuck in my mind and definitely affected my behaviour (btw, he was a well respected police officer and a WWII veteran). He would grab a frog by its hind legs, set its head on a flat stone and smash it with another rock with a quick move. Then using a knife he would cut off the upper torso including the arms, remove the viscera and innards, skin the bottom part and then pass such prepared amphibian to me for roasting on the grill that my mother was using at that time. He did the same to 6 more frogs I caught while I would look on with some degree of fascination. He would toss the "inedible" parts back to the pond then, where the local fishing enthusiasts bred pike fish. The ensuing frenzy was quite a thing to watch and the large sized frogs were quite a treat.

The following school year my mother entrusted me with money to pay for lunches on a monthly basis. I chose to spend that money on books that would interest me and sustained my diet on roasted frog legs that I would prepare and stash in advance. Suffice to say I carried this procedure unnoticed for years, until I got sick and tired of eating my own version of "French cuisine".

My mother was obliviously happy thinking I'm "properly" fed, the pike fish were happy with a free treat, the local fishing enthusiasts were happy with well fed pike fish and I had a load of books, which I would eventually pass on to some of my poorer class mates. Perhaps the only victims here were the several thousand frogs I passed through my digestive system, though every following year there seemed to be more and more frogs at the pond (I suspect some natural selection connection here as the quicker and more agile ones would escape my clumsy clutches, obviously increasing the offspring's ability to escape the natural predators in the pond).

Someone might think my adolescent behaviour would fit into the AsPD, yet I didn't feel any pleasure in the killing and preparation of the frogs. I treated it as a necessity in order to feed myself and increase my library.

When a few decades later I spoke of this to my mother she was genuinely surprised and told me I should have simply asked her for the money for books (my room looked like and was used as book storage anyway, so she never noticed any increase in the number of volumes). To this day I don't properly know how to feel about the whole hunting/fraud/sharing/feeding experience.

It certainly helped me with my reflexes, eye-hand coordination and fed my obsessive need to read (the books were mostly fantasy and science-fiction, which are the only type of fiction that I can stomach). I don't feel any urge to kill frogs or any other animals for that matter, but if forced to hunt for food I would certainly have no compunctions about it. All I can say is that it allowed me to grow up in my own way.

Yet if for comparison we were to substitute the frogs with humans or the product of human labour, the pike fish with let's say any type of human scavenger whose life or skills could be used in the future, the fishing enthusiasts as friendly and appreciative benefactors of my efforts and the books as tools of power/responsibility that I can eventually pass onto the less fortunate, what would that make me then? A monster, a politician (too often these two are the same), a businessman or simply a human being surviving in the human world?

I think the perceptual difference between AsPD and Asperger's lies simply in how we arrive at our conclusions about the world we live in.

Thank You

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Feb 2013, 2:45 pm

GnothiSeauton wrote:
My apologies. I wrote that in a drunken rage. Should have kept my fingers stimming around a gun trigger or something more useful/productive instead of the keyboard. Simply a personal observation of ASD adults who have to deal with life in differing socio/economic and cultural circumstances. Self defensive mechanisms tend to desensitize people just as much as offensive mechanisms when it comes to survival. Should have written "There seems to be a tendency for ASD people to develop secondary psychopathy due to social and cultural conditioning as I have observed in my own personal experience, as limited as it is". Humble apologies, I will try to be more sensitive and observant of proper protocol in my internet ramblings :)

No worries - thank you for the explanation.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 5:22 pm

Gnothi, did you like the taste of frog's legs? My grandmother said they taste like chicken.

As a 10 year old child, when you hunted the frogs it seems it was the Ritualistic Behavior of the whole actions that you enjoyed.
Catching the frogs, then learning the whole ritual of how to kill and skin and roast the frog.
Actually killing, gutting, and skinning the frogs is not an easy feat for anyone who is a beginner to such type things.
I can skin and gut a gator and wild hog, i've lived in areas where we lived off the land somewhat. I've never killed an animal, and we waste nothing. Yet i know how to gut and skin. If i had to survive i would take down a buck or gator, a boar. Humanely.

Anyhow the former "respected police officer" who was also a WWII vet maybe wanted to pass down his knowledge of roasting frogs to you.
It's a violent way to kill it yet that is the quickest and easiest most practical way to kill the frog in order to be quick. Next step would be gutting and skinning it.

A lot of folks down here in the rural south still go gigging for frogs and stuff like that. So it's accepted around these parts.

Its good you didn't feel any pleasure in the killing.
It's likely the entire experience that the Retired Officer and Veteran actually taught you something that you could use and feed yourself. You learned how to catch and prepare frog. It made you self sufficient in a way you could live off the land and get your books.
I guess it would be like a grandfather passing down a skill to a grandson =)