What's the chance that Adam Lanza was autistic?

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ProvokesThinking
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2013, 10:00 pm

The media spouted that this guy was autistic, although this seems to be a post-death diagnosis by a Swedish psychiatrist, I read.

I read something about his life, but it still isn't clear to me if he was either autistic or a sociopath, although it seems like that his mother might be reason that this kid went on such a wrong path, I don't think it's very healthy to prepare your child for the end of the world by letting it use all kinds of weapons.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 10:21 pm

Well, no diagnostic papers have been released to the media, and the guy is dead now. So, the fact that he was autistic is pretty low, but not nil.

Aitrean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2013, 10:22 pm

In 99.9% of cases in which a person is socially awkward, and yet, incredibly smart, they are autistic. Moreover, autism has been related to psychopathy and sociopathy, although it does not imply that even a significant percent of autistics have it. Nevertheless, I believe without a doubt Adam Lanza was autistic. Of course, this means virtually nothing to me. Adam Lanza also had blonde hair, and was white, should we associate those genetic traits with killing? No. So why would autism be any different?

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 10:25 pm

Aitrean wrote:
In 99.9% of cases in which a person is socially awkward, and yet, incredibly smart, they are autistic. Moreover, autism has been related to psychopathy and sociopathy, although it does not imply that even a significant percent of autistics have it. Nevertheless, I believe without a doubt Adam Lanza was autistic. Of course, this means virtually nothing to me. Adam Lanza also had blonde hair, and was white, should we associate those genetic traits with killing? No. So why would autism be any different?

THIS.

I agree with you. It's like saying Black people go around screaming and eat nothing but fried chicken. ._. I have a black friend who is the sweetest person ever and she's like a sister to me. People make so many stereotypes and s**t that make us into bad people, when a lot of us aren't nearly as bad as what they think... if that makes sense. I was actually offended when they said this guy had autism and that he killed those kids because of it...

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 10:29 pm

Aitrean wrote:
In 99.9% of cases in which a person is socially awkward, and yet, incredibly smart, they are autistic.

I don't think this is true. In fact I think only a very small percentage of those who are socially awkward and very smart are diagnosable with ASD. They might have some traits of ASD........but I'd think the % who are actually autistic would be small.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 10:32 pm

There were several reports that seemed to confirm he had the diagnosis.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. There are evil people in the world, evil AS people and evil NT people.

I'm not going to put my head in the sand and pretend that there are no evil AS people anymore than I will pretend all AS people are evil.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 10:32 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
Aitrean wrote:
In 99.9% of cases in which a person is socially awkward, and yet, incredibly smart, they are autistic.

I don't think this is true. In fact I think only a very small percentage of those who are socially awkward and very smart are diagnosable with ASD. They might have some traits of ASD........but I'd think the % who are actually autistic would be small.

Well that, i agree with. I have an ASD too and my IQ is below 80. I have a lot of learning and developmental delays so...

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 10:37 pm

You IQ is not like your height.

I once got 160 then another time 130 then 120...................the tests suck.

i refuse to take them now

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 11:23 pm

A FAR more relevant question is, if having AS wasn't connected to the crime, why the f**k did the media even mention it?! Thanks to their ill-conceived decision, the vermin-ridden society we unfortunately have to tolerate has DRASTICALLY upped their efforts to persecute and terrorize us. Some of these people seriously WANT a repeat of the f*****g holocaust for innocent Autistic people. These "people" are nothing more than vermin. They are no better than Adolf Hitler himself! They deserve to be locked up, tortured eternally, sexually abused, and be forced to experience every last horrific circumstance they have exacted upon or imagined for us. I am done with "growing a thick skin", I am finished just accepting what these monsters have done and plan to do. We must unite. We must make suffer every last verminous c**t who wishes to terrorize us. :evil: :wall:

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2013, 11:29 pm

Aitrean wrote:

No one can say for certainty autism wasn't at least partially responsible. Remember Lanza wasn't the only autistic mass shooter, there was once a WrongPlanet member who went on a shooting spree in California.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 Jan 2013, 11:32 pm

Disraeli wrote:
No one can say for certainty autism wasn't at least partially responsible. Remember Lanza wasn't the only autistic mass shooter, there was once a WrongPlanet member who went on a shooting spree in California.

Correlation is not causation. You can indeed say that autism wasn't responsible for anyone going on a shooting spree because there has never been a link established between autism and planned violence like that.

I don't know who this Wrong Planet member is, but so far there has been no confirmation that Lanza was autistic, just a lot of speculation.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 11:38 pm

Disraeli wrote:
Aitrean wrote:

Oh, what, you think AS causes people to be evil psychopaths?! That's what you f*****g think?! COPY AND PASTE FOR ME THE EXACT PASSAGE FROM THE DSM OR ANY OTHER DIAGNOSTIC MANUAL LEADING YOU TO YOUR f*****g CONCLUSION.

I WANT EVIDENCE. YOU WILL PRESENT IT, NOW.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 11:39 pm

My best guess is that Adam had an involuted, scorpions-in-the-bottle relationship with his mother, and that explains maybe 60% of why he did what he did.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 11:46 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Correlation is not causation. You can indeed say that autism wasn't responsible for anyone going on a shooting spree because there has never been a link established between autism and planned violence like that.

I don't know who this Wrong Planet member is, but so far there has been no confirmation that Lanza was autistic, just a lot of speculation.

THIS!

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 11:56 pm

We can take a deep breath and take an honest look at some of the bad parts.

At the same time, in almost a spiritual sense, I think we can make a conscious choice to be optimistic about the human condition in general, ourselves fully included. For example, I think it was a Lutheran charity from Chicago who sent in ten golden retrievers who are therapy dogs. I mean, what a great story. So, we can also look at these aspects.

PS I'm a good atheist-agnostic, and I think I do better with the spiritual component of life than if I were still a member of a doctrinaire church.

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 04 Jan 2013, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

KevinS
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2013, 11:59 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
There were several reports that seemed to confirm he had the diagnosis.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. There are evil people in the world, evil AS people and evil NT people.

I'm not going to put my head in the sand and pretend that there are no evil AS people anymore than I will pretend all AS people are evil.

Well, that's if you believe in the concept of 'evil'. I don't. When he was a little baby, and his mother was holding him in her arms, there's no way you could say, yeah, that baby was "born" an evil murderer.

He was mentally ill, yes. But evil? No, I don't believe that. I don't believe in evil.