They treat us like 2nd class citizens.

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 12:58 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Eric, the point is, they were negligent. Nothing, not pellets or anything else, should have hit the girl, the instructor or the horse and yet they are allowed to continue unpunished. They were not even grounded from the guns for a short while. This is what I mean by random people failing to treat firearms as serious weapons that can maim and kill instead of docile kids' toys meant for fun and games which clearly, they are not.

I seem to be much different than most people around. As far as I'm concerned, the point is to correct the bad behavior. Whenever that can be done with education, then not only is punishment not required, it is hardly even desirable.

Depending on the kids, all that may have been required is for the father to sit them down and explain the basics of firearm safety. Maybe sign them up for a safety course on the issue.

Since I have no idea what steps have been taken to to correct the behavior, I'm not going to go off the handle and assume that no steps have been taken.

Last edited by eric76 on 08 Jan 2013, 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 3:56 am

Ann2011 wrote:
Makes me wonder who these boys are going to shoot at when they have real guns.

It was a real shotgun. They might have been to far away to stand a strong chance of causing severe to life-threatening injuries since they spray of tiny pellets would have lost so much speed and energy (it's a relatively short-range weapon), but it is still dangerous to do.

Ann2011 wrote:
Watched the video . . . It stated that their target was in the opposite direction to the horse farm, so they would have had to turn in the opposite direction from the target to aim at the trainer and rider. Not sure what their motivation is, but I wish people would teach their kids to have a little more respect for others.

If it could ever be proven that he aimed at someone they could be charged with felony assault with a firearm. Being juveniles, if convicted they would get their gun rights back at age 30, and they would be hard pressed to get a sheriff to sign off on a concealed carry license or the ATF to grant any type of federal license to them.

If I was their parents, shooting someone outside of self-defense would be the kind of extreme incident where I'd think kicking the shooter's ass is in order if I could get away with it. All of them wouldn't have any free time for at least a couple weeks, and any money they got would be saved up and given to that girl. the next time they laid hands on a gun, which would not be anytime soon, there would be a new safety orientation and new safety rules.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 4:49 am

I did a little checking to see what other people's experience is:

Actually, the average bird load, like the ones we use in our 20 gauges on dove hunts, is only effective to about 35 yards or so. I have been about 100 yards across a field, when somebody swung in my direction (no it wasn't Cheney) and the pellets hit me but felt like someone threw sand at me...it did not hurt or even come close to breaking skin.

We also shoot dove over a stock pond that is about 150yds from Dad's ranch house and regularly, someone swings in the direction of the house and in the many years we've been doing this, never have we had a broken window.

I've been peppered by my friends about 200 yards across a lake while shooting 3" goose loads from a 12 gauge. Like it was said before, it felt like sand, but it was cool to see their pellets dropping around our boat.

I have been peppered with bird shot many times while hunting at ranges over 45-50 yards from careless hunters and they did not even leave a mark.

a friend of mine and i were walking up the river to our swim spot with a huge sycamore tree with a rope swing and everything, anyway we were getting hit by falling birdshot and finally we figured out there was a new shooting range about 300 meters away in a feild on the other side of the river. and we were getting hit by birdshot so it goes pretty far but it was just falling so we were not hurt

I've been peppered by some of my idiot extended family pheasant hunting several times with 6 shot at about 100 yards. No damage to me or the truck I ducked behind. Not exactly scientific, but I would say over 100 yards you will small shot (7.5 or above) you should be fine.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 11:41 am

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Eric, the point is, they were negligent. Nothing, not pellets or anything else, should have hit the girl, the instructor or the horse and yet they are allowed to continue unpunished. They were not even grounded from the guns for a short while. This is what I mean by random people failing to treat firearms as serious weapons that can maim and kill instead of docile kids' toys meant for fun and games which clearly, they are not.

I seem to be much different than most people around. As far as I'm concerned, the point is to correct the bad behavior. Whenever that can be done with education, then not only is punishment not required, it is hardly even desirable.

Depending on the kids, all that may have been required is for the father to sit them down and explain the basics of firearm safety. Maybe sign them up for a safety course on the issue.

Since I have no idea what steps have been taken to to correct the behavior, I'm not going to go off the handle and assume that no steps have been taken.

If you just lecture them, it will go in one ear and out the other. How many times do you think the dad lectures them on gun safety? If they realize their guns will be taken away a while, they will grasp the idea they must take safety seriously. If they fail to grasp this basic concept, they could end up injuring themselves or someone else so the stakes are pretty high, don't you think?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 2:39 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

If you just lecture them, it will go in one ear and out the other. How many times do you think the dad lectures them on gun safety? If they realize their guns will be taken away a while, they will grasp the idea they must take safety seriously. If they fail to grasp this basic concept, they could end up injuring themselves or someone else so the stakes are pretty high, don't you think?

Why didn't you say that you know the kids? When I was a kid, I knew some that a lecture would have been more than sufficient. Since I don't know the kids in question, I can't say whether or not a simple warning or lecture would be sufficient.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 4:38 pm

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Why didn't you say that you know the kids? When I was a kid, I knew some that a lecture would have been more than sufficient. Since I don't know the kids in question, I can't say whether or not a simple warning or lecture would be sufficient.
]

Just talking isn't enough with them, apparently.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 4:52 pm

Always be sure of your target and what lies beyond it. No ifs and/or buts there.

Birdshot is in one of those...fishy areas, as by nature you're shooting into the air and the shot will fall out of your view (unless small game on the ground); it won't do anything past 100 meters or so (200 to be safe), but it still will pepper someone at a few hundred meters when it comes back to earth. Still, shoot on your property where no one else is to be expected and there'll be no incidents.

Lessen learned for the shooters in this case; shoot into your property.

some numbers (shotgun):

birdshot = 100 meters or so for wounding range (BB and other larger shot will be further and with a lethal range in 100 meters or so)
buckshot = lethal out to about 500 meters
slug = 1 mile+ lethal

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 5:54 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

]

Just talking isn't enough with them, apparently.

Just how do you jump to that conclusion?

Either you know them personally and from your personal experience with them you know that it isn't enough or you don't know squat about them and are merely generalizing.

If the latter, I take it then that you have no problems at all when people generalize about people on the ASD spectrum. So you know how one kid behaves when told not to do something then you know how all kids behave when told not to do something. By the same logic, then if you know one person with Autism you have insight into all persons with Autism.

Would you say that?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:21 pm

eric76 wrote:

Because at their age, they should know better. No excuse for the pellets or whatever they were to even be on this woman's property. You typed there were trees between her yard and their shooting field. Doesn't it strike you as odd that pellets would be able to bridge this great distance? It sounds like negligence at the least.

Quote:
Either you know them personally and from your personal experience with them you know that it isn't enough or you don't know squat about them and are merely generalizing.

I have been around gun crazy cousins and have heard plenty of lectures on gun safety from my Uncle. One of my cousins accidentally shot part of his hand off while going under a barbed wire fence. He did not have the safety on his hunting rifle. Just goes to show, lecturing doesn't always have much effect.

I would hope all adults would talk gun safety with their kids. If not, even more reason for the kids not to handle the guns.

Quote:
If the latter, I take it then that you have no problems at all when people generalize about people on the ASD spectrum. So you know how one kid behaves when told not to do something then you know how all kids behave when told not to do something. By the same logic, then if you know one person with Autism you have insight into all persons with Autism.

Would you say that?

I think I could have some insight into Autism based on one person's Autism just because it's Autism and to have it people share a certain set of characteristics.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:29 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Because at their age, they should know better. No excuse for the pellets or whatever they were to even be on this woman's property. You typed there were trees between her yard and their shooting field. Doesn't it strike you as odd that pellets would be able to bridge this great distance? It sounds like negligence at the least.

They may not have realized that the shot would carry that far. Obviously, they didn't pose any real threat at the distance since there were no allegations of actual injury.

Quote:
Quote:

I have been around gun crazy cousins and have heard plenty of lectures on gun safety from my Uncle. One of my cousins accidentally shot part of his hand off while going under a barbed wire fence. He did not have the safety on his hunting rifle. Just goes to show, lecturing doesn't always have much effect.

I would hope all adults would talk gun safety with their kids. If not, even more reason for the kids not to handle the guns.

Quote:

Would you say that?

I think I could have some insight into Autism based on one person's Autism just because it's Autism and to have it people share a certain set of characteristics.

Then you are obviously of much greater wisdom and intelligence and perception (and maybe clairvoyance) than anyone else here.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:32 pm

Why can you not accept there was some negligence is all? These girls should not have ever experienced these pellets on their property. I stand by my conviction.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:47 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Why can you not accept there was some negligence is all? These girls should not have ever experienced these pellets on their property. I stand by my conviction.

I agree with you to the extent that the event should not have happened.

I strongly disagree that there was absolutely a need to punish the kids instead of learning something about firearm safety.

I've seen nothing to support the notion that the kids were acting in any malicious manner. At the very worst there is a mild case of negligence.

If Florida has a law similar to Texas that prohibits one from shooting in such a way that the projectiles cross the property lines without already having permission from the property owner on the other side of the property line, then there would be a misdemeanor involved and they could have received a ticket.

Of course, the police have a good deal of latitude in determining whether or not to write a ticket for a misdemeanor.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:51 pm

I just can't believe you think that knowing the ages of the oldest kids involved. Shouldn't they know by now what is safe and what is not? Besides, they would get their guns back eventually anyway. It's not like they would spend a lifetime parted.

I never said they were being malicious, either. If they managed to get buckshot or whatever it was into the area these people and the horse were, it sounds like they were being negligent. They were not cognizant of what needed doing and they should have been.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 9:07 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I just can't believe you think that knowing the ages of the oldest kids involved. Shouldn't they know by now what is safe and what is not? Besides, they would get their guns back eventually anyway. It's not like they would spend a lifetime parted.

I never said they were being malicious, either. If they managed to get buckshot or whatever it was into the area these people and the horse were, it sounds like they were being negligent. They were not cognizant of what needed doing and they should have been.

The article said that what they were using was appropriate for ducks. Buckshot does not qualify for that.

I would bet that if you asked 100 experienced bird hunters how far the pellets from their shotgun would carry, you would have a very great difference of opinion. After all, it is not that important a topic because at any distance, even if it does carry that far it hardly poses a danger at all.

In this case, a little education should fix the problem. The kids now know that the shot will carry that far and so they should, at least, not shoot in that direction from where they were.

If they do so, the problem is solved.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 9:17 pm

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

The article said that what they were using was appropriate for ducks. Buckshot does not qualify for that.

I would bet that if you asked 100 experienced bird hunters how far the pellets from their shotgun would carry, you would have a very great difference of opinion. After all, it is not that important a topic because at any distance, even if it does carry that far it hardly poses a danger at all.

In this case, a little education should fix the problem. The kids now know that the shot will carry that far and so they should, at least, not shoot in that direction from where they were.

If they do so, the problem is solved.

Fair enough.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 2:14 pm

I've notice how often people with difficulties shall one say tend to be the target of one's pranks,jokes, bullyism etc.. I find it shameful..