Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Renaissance_Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2013, 7:49 pm

I was diagnosed with Non-Verbal Learning Disorder in April of last year, and have been questioning the accuracy of the diagnosis ever since. I do realize that I need not meet every single criterion to merit a diagnosis, but I am talking about two of the "hallmark" criteria of NVLD which I overwhelmingly fail.

Firstly, I have read that the typical NVLD'er is an auditory learner (the name of the disorder says it all, really). I, on the other hand, can barely remember what I am told thirty seconds prior. Whenever a superior is giving me instructions, I always request that they make a well organized list for me to follow, lest I should forget what they tell me. In short, I think in pictures; always have, always will I imagine.

Secondly, research suggests that the majority of NVLD'ers are weak in mathematics, and this observation seems to be corroborated by countless parents of NVLD children on internet forums. Well, in my case I say bollocks to that. While I do not boast the same level of proclivity for calculus as, say, a mathematician or physicist, I don't think that I am terribly far from that mark.

Given that a predilection for visual learning styles and a strong aptitude for mathematics are common (but certainly not ubiquitous) traits of Asperger's Disorder, I am wondering if perhaps that diagnosis would be a more appropriate one than NVLD, considering that the two share many characteristics. Please share your opinions with me!

As a footnote, I feel it prudent to ask about the proper conduct for selecting the "diagnosis" on my Wrong Planet profile. For NVLD, which of "Other autism spectrum disorder" or "Neurotypical" is the appropriate selection?

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2013, 8:48 pm

Renaissance_Man wrote:
I was diagnosed with Non-Verbal Learning Disorder in April of last year, and have been questioning the accuracy of the diagnosis ever since. I do realize that I need not meet every single criterion to merit a diagnosis, but I am talking about two of the "hallmark" criteria of NVLD which I overwhelmingly fail.

Firstly, I have read that the typical NVLD'er is an auditory learner (the name of the disorder says it all, really). I, on the other hand, can barely remember what I am told thirty seconds prior. Whenever a superior is giving me instructions, I always request that they make a well organized list for me to follow, lest I should forget what they tell me. In short, I think in pictures; always have, always will I imagine.

Secondly, research suggests that the majority of NVLD'ers are weak in mathematics, and this observation seems to be corroborated by countless parents of NVLD children on internet forums. Well, in my case I say bollocks to that. While I do not boast the same level of proclivity for calculus as, say, a mathematician or physicist, I don't think that I am terribly far from that mark.

Given that a predilection for visual learning styles and a strong aptitude for mathematics are common (but certainly not ubiquitous) traits of Asperger's Disorder, I am wondering if perhaps that diagnosis would be a more appropriate one than NVLD, considering that the two share many characteristics. Please share your opinions with me!

Why would you want to change your diagnosis? Self-validation? To get better/more appropriate accommodation?

Renaissance_Man wrote:
As a footnote, I feel it prudent to ask about the proper conduct for selecting the "diagnosis" on my Wrong Planet profile. For NVLD, which of "Other autism spectrum disorder" or "Neurotypical" is the appropriate selection?

I would call you an autistic cousin, so yes, you're kind of on the autism spectrum. Choose the former. JMHO.

WhoKnowsWhy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2013, 10:25 pm

Might I ask what were the circumstances in which you were diagnosed with NVLD? And what was the person's basis for diagnosing you with it? Because yeah, I've never heard of someone with NVLD being competent at math (I have NVLD and Aspergers, for the record, but I think the former describes me much better).

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

07 Jan 2013, 10:56 pm

Quote:

Yes, however, when you are overwhelmed by other stimuli (body language, etc.), it is impossible to be able to keep auditory instructions straight, especially if they involve steps or lists. Your inability to visualize, conceptualize things in space, etc. with NVLD prevents you from being able to understand a lot of information conveyed verbally also.
If your supervisor gives you a visual list, you can stare at it till you get it.

Quote:

I am also good at mathematics. This is because most math is not per se spatial. I had to work on a few things like writing neatly and keeping columns straight, and I had trouble with steps, but I'm smart enough that with enough work, even advanced Calculus is not impossible. I suck at any practical (spatial) applications of math, however.

Quote:

This is very possible, although having a visual learning style in some areas does not rule out NVLD. In fact, I'm a visual learner because, when something is visual, I can sit it in front of me and think about it till I figure it out whereas when I have to listen, information moves too quickly.

Some clinicians even believe there is no important difference between NVLD and Aspergers. Others believe that Aspergers is simply a severe type of NVLD. In fact, most people with Aspergers also have NVLD. It's very possible you have both.

Quote:

Probably "other autism spectrum disorder." NVLD is basically co-terminus with PDD-NOS (meaning it's very hard to be diagnosed with NVLD and not meet the criteria for PDD-NOS)

Renaissance_Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2013, 11:13 pm

Quote:
Why would you want to change your diagnosis? Self-validation? To get better/more appropriate accommodation?

More a matter of curiosity than any of those, really. I was worried about the accommodations at first, seeing as NVLD isn't technically in the DSM-IV or DSM-V, but there have been no problems as of yet.

Renaissance_Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2013, 11:30 pm

WhoKnowsWhy wrote:
Might I ask what were the circumstances in which you were diagnosed with NVLD?

I was having significant difficulty with work (and moderate difficulty before that), and was referred to a neuropsychologist for suspected Asperger's Disorder.

WhoKnowsWhy wrote:
And what was the person's basis for diagnosing you with it?

Although I did ask him the very same question, I never received a clear explanation for his differential diagnosis.

From what I have read (I can find the reference if you like), NVLD is commonly diagnosed by neuropsychologists, whereas Asperger's Disorder is typically diagnosed by psychologists and psychiatrists. This is my best theory, since it was a neuropsychologist who assessed and diagnosed me.

Thank you for your input!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 12:03 am

Renaissance_Man wrote:

Some people with NVLD might have slow visual processing speed and superior sentence repeat back abilities, and this can erroneously lead one to conclude that they are auditory learners. It's very possible to have someone with slow visual processing speed, who can repeat back sentences, but can't process the meaning, and who requires visual instruction to learn.

The math difficulties with NVLD usually involve various forms of dyscalculia. It's not uncommon for someone with dyscalculia to have difficulty with arithmetic but do well in more theoretical math such as calculus.

Renaissance_Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2013, 12:14 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Yes, however, when you are overwhelmed by other stimuli (body language, etc.), it is impossible to be able to keep auditory instructions straight, especially if they involve steps or lists. Your inability to visualize, conceptualize things in space, etc. with NVLD prevents you from being able to understand a lot of information conveyed verbally also.
If your supervisor gives you a visual list, you can stare at it till you get it.

This is exactly how I feel with any information transmitted auditorily. Since the bulk of NVLD'ers have these sensory integration difficulties that you speak of, I wonder how the experts could possibly classify them as auditory learners (unless of course I am completely misunderstanding the concept of auditory learning styles).

Tyri0n wrote:
I suck at any practical (spatial) applications of math, however.

I used to think this of myself too. However, when given sufficient time, I can add, subtract, etc. fairly large numbers in my head, probably beyond what the average person could do. When my time is limited (e.g. on an IQ test), it almost feels as if my brain is trying to move much too quickly, in many different directions, which falls quite neatly in line with the Intense World Theory of autism. Just a hypothesis, but perhaps the same is true of you?

Renaissance_Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2013, 12:25 am

Chronos wrote:
It's not uncommon for someone with dyscalculia to have difficulty with arithmetic but do well in more theoretical math such as calculus.

This is a good point. Arithmetic and the higher mathematics are much different beasts. However, I don't think that I have dyscalculia because, when given sufficient time, space, and quiet, I can do arithmetic fairly accurately.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 12:48 am

Renaissance_Man wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

This is exactly how I feel with any information transmitted auditorily. Since the bulk of NVLD'ers have these sensory integration difficulties that you speak of, I wonder how the experts could possibly classify them as auditory learners (unless of course I am completely misunderstanding the concept of auditory learning styles).

Tyri0n wrote:
I suck at any practical (spatial) applications of math, however.

I used to think this of myself too. However, when given sufficient time, I can add, subtract, etc. fairly large numbers in my head, probably beyond what the average person could do. When my time is limited (e.g. on an IQ test), it almost feels as if my brain is trying to move much too quickly, in many different directions, which falls quite neatly in line with the Intense World Theory of autism. Just a hypothesis, but perhaps the same is true of you?

Of course. But this goes for NVLD too. I have a very severe case of it. I can't do problem-type questions (including complex math or LSAT logic games) within the time limit unless I've practiced with that type of problem many times before--basically, I need to do practice tests and do my homework.

What I meant by practical applications are things like engineering applications (which I had to do in the Army). I do fine on assessment tests--and math classes involving finance-- but bomb anything that involves applying anything to a 3D object.

Most of us struggle in math classes, however. Not that we can't do it. It's that we have trouble learning it in the way in which it is presented in the typical classroom. It simply moves too fast for me to process it visually and auditorily. But then I pull out the textbook and slowly deconstruct the steps and repeat them enough times until I understand the concepts too. Or I just copy down the steps verbatim from the teacher and then repeat them myself over and over again till something clicks.

Then I do fine on the tests (95th percentile math SAT). And I can do plenty of math in my head, like you. I think people with NVLD who do poorly in math just haven't found their own way to learn. It's not that they are incapable of doing it. The classroom is just not set up for our learning style.

Nothing you have said is inconsistent with NVLD, least of all the time and processing issues. In fact, the fact that these issues show up in Aspergers as well is simply because most people with Aspergers have NVLD on top of all the autistic stuff. You may well have both. But ability to do math does not rule out NVLD at all, especially if you have processing issues on timed assessments, which you do.

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:41 am

Renaissance_Man wrote:

I have always felt that I'm more left-brained than right-brained. I have always known that 90% of articles about NVLD fit me perfectly. But then, I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS rather than NVLD. Anyway, I struggle with most Math topics, follow written instructions better than verbal instructions and usually think in words.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
But ability to do math does not rule out NVLD at all, especially if you have processing issues on timed assessments, which you do.

Yeah, I'm in agreement there. When given ample time and ample explanation, I'm able to understand advanced mathematics. It's just that, if any step is skipped in the explanation or a time limit is set, I physically am unable to perform well. Like, when I took calc II, I was able to understand integration by substitution when I would go get one-one-one help with my professor. When each problem was explained slowly and no shortcuts were used, I would follow what was going on and be able to get the right answer. But I would get lost in class, because everyone else became able to use shortcuts and skip steps after the first day or so. I never could get to that point, no matter how much practice.

And also keep in mind that slow processing speed for math/visual-spatial tasks doesn't necessarily mean that you have low processing speed in general. I have an extremely high processing speed index, and other than visual-spatial/math tasks, I am able to comprehend and perform tasks extremely quickly.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Renaissance_Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2013, 4:10 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Nothing you have said is inconsistent with NVLD, least of all the time and processing issues. In fact, the fact that these issues show up in Aspergers as well is simply because most people with Aspergers have NVLD on top of all the autistic stuff. You may well have both. But ability to do math does not rule out NVLD at all, especially if you have processing issues on timed assessments, which you do.

I had not considered this. Perhaps I was thinking too literally, and misinterpreted "mathematics may be difficult for people with NVLD" as "all people with NVLD have pervasive mathematics deficits".

I would surmise from your replies, Tyri0n, that you are also diagnosed with NVLD and not Asperger's Disorder. Did your psychologist, or neuropsychologist, explain his/her differential diagnosis?

Sorry for my excessive questioning. I am just trying to make sense of my own life at the moment.

alan78
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Feb 2013, 9:22 am

I am trying to learn more about this disorder, does anyone know if this is recognised in the uk? or any specialists who deal with it? there doesn't seem to be much on the net.

I was diagnosed with ADD inattentive 15 years ago, but i have just learnt about NVLD and i can relate to a lot of it, the only thing is i am also good at maths, but outwith that i can relate to a lot of the symptoms.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 9:37 am

Renaissance_Man wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

I had not considered this. Perhaps I was thinking too literally, and misinterpreted "mathematics may be difficult for people with NVLD" as "all people with NVLD have pervasive mathematics deficits".

I would surmise from your replies, Tyri0n, that you are also diagnosed with NVLD and not Asperger's Disorder. Did your psychologist, or neuropsychologist, explain his/her differential diagnosis?

Sorry for my excessive questioning. I am just trying to make sense of my own life at the moment.

I got diagnosed with autism but then went to another specialist to get diagnosed with NVLD, so I could request work accommodations without disclosing that I share the same neurological configuration as the Connecticut shooter (minus the evil SSRI's, of course).

I think differential diagnosis is not typically used in these cases. I had a childhood history that clearly said autism, and I have prosody and expressive issues that go beyond a mere visual-spatial deficit.

To the other poster, there really isn't much information. NVLD is a cluster of learning disabilities, so as such, I doubt it's recognized in the UK or anywhere else as a coded disability. It's LD-NOS in the U.S. An optometrist may be able to give you a more specific diagnosis (amblyopia for example).

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 1:42 pm

Quote:

By 'think in pictures' I'm assuming you mean 'my stream of consciousness is predominantly in a nonverbal visual form, and I have to make an effort to translate my thoughts into words'? Because yeah, in my opinion that would rule out NVLD.

If you show a mix of visual thinking and verbal narration, though, you might still have NVLD depending on your other traits.

Quote:

It's not universal, but I do think that should be another sign that NVLD is probably not an accurate diagnosis.

Quote:

I think you're right. It may be that the person who assessed you was looking at an LD lens and not considering an autism spectrum condition. NVLD and AS overlap a lot - they share social impairment and a higher rate of clumsiness, as well as sensory processing issues. However, NVLD requires visuospatial weakness and verbal strength, while AS requires obsessive interests, need for routine, or stimming. (Many people do have both conditions.)

Quote:

I'd say 'other ASD'. NVLD is definitely on the autistic spectrum. And 'neurotypical' doesn't fit at all - if you have NVLD, you are not typical neurologically.