First date in 2 decades help!

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 12:22 am

How does this sound to you all for a date? I quiet dinner an casual but upscale restaurant then to a club concert that I found out she wanted to go to. Mohawk Place's in Buffalo The Chosen Ones, The Returners are playing. It an hour to get there but it is some thing I know she wants to see but do you think its too much for a first date?

albeniz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2013, 12:24 am

It may be a bit much. Ask her and see what she thinks!

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 6:42 am

Hmm? I thought you were married? :?

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 8:28 pm

DialAForAwesome wrote:
Hmm? I thought you were married? :?

Was past tense not fun, not my choice not to be now. :(
Sorry proper to say it separation/divorce by mutual consent. for gotten my manners.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 12:02 am

That is really long for a first date.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 12:16 am

The problem is we live in the middle of no were, I don't want the first date to be to a local bar. Not much around here.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 12:30 am

How about just the dinner then? I do think it is probably a bit full-on, unless you are getting along really well, which you can't know in advance. Do you have to get tickets to the gig, or can you wing it and go if you feel like it?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 12:34 am

Too much. One or the other, not both.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 9:57 pm

Sudden change of plans grandfather is not doing well. Date canceled but she cant leave till Friday morning. She said she felt bad about the date I countered with Ill make diner tomorrow night and some treats to take with her for the family and she agree. Not that quick, and after showing concern for her grandfather.

Finger are crossed and not holding back on the spread of food and drinks for dinner.

albeniz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2013, 10:43 pm

johnny77 wrote:
Sudden change of plans grandfather is not doing well. Date canceled but she cant leave till Friday morning. She said she felt bad about the date I countered with Ill make diner tomorrow night and some treats to take with her for the family and she agree. Not that quick, and after showing concern for her grandfather.

Finger are crossed and not holding back on the spread of food and drinks for dinner.

That was a great idea thought up on the spot.

I wouldn't go overboard with the food and drinks for a first date. Just prepare something wholesome with some wine, that'll be fine.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 10:03 pm

Think goodness her friend called me to tow her car, she told that my date eats vegetarian meals. Bunch of last minute shopping. Good diner hid the beef that I started before work today. Talked quite a bit shes has a lot of my interest she wanted to be a mechanical engineer. Her mom push her in to dancing. She had "coffee" in mind after dinner but I kept he preoccupied till it was time for her to go with projects that spiked her curiosity on the way in. "Coffee" sounded good to me to, but a story of her college professor making a move on her and she said he was old I asked how old she said 35 to 40 I went to say some thing about this to her but she said she had to go loved the food and cant wait to get back. Now I'm dreading telling her my age I miss calculated her age by 4 years older I think she missed mine by 10 younger years. Waiting to see her again but dreading telling her and her potentially walking away for good.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 2:18 am

The dinner went prefect Fresh Rosemary and Mushroom Pate, Insalata Caprese with Avocado, New Potatoes with Crisped Dulse and desert of Baked Plums with Sweetened Vegan Ricotta. She sang for me as I didn't hear her coming thru the shop and she caught me singing. After dinner I let her know my age as she miss judged it. The age difference was to great for her so I watched the only very compatible woman for hundreds of miles go from companion to can we be friends status. :( Now I'm back to nothing good to look forward to or reason other than work to be up in the morning.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 9:54 am

Don't dispair man. Sounds like you did everything right. A woman closer to your age would appreciate your approach to dating even more. Keep trying. 8)

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 9:01 pm

Still frustrating.

BobY
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Jan 2013, 2:32 pm

sorry, man. it's hard to find good lovers in the middle of nowhere. i doubt you are wanting reassurance, but these blogs kind of lend itself to that response, so forgive me for saying at least you are getting more clear about what you want. This way, when it comes along, you will be able to respond fully. one additional reason to get up, other than work, is to continue the search. Have you read much John Elder Robison? His "Be Different" book can be a good pep talk about preparing for dates and love.

best,
Bob

bobyamtich.com

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 12:38 am

Its just depressing because not just location but finding a woman who not only can turn wrenches but understands combustion science and metallurgy in an applied setting. Who can pic thru my scavenged materials and know what they are. I know t sounds strange but I had sorely hoped to find some one with my odd passions and interest. And she has stopped in and helped with some side work. I think she wants to be more than friends but not a couple. :scratch: