Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2006, 11:01 pm

I think that stims are neccesary, if their done in a discreate manner. I have a Routemaster attatched to a Key-lead that I wear when I'm with my friends and aquatiences. When I feel that I'm tempted to go into a monolouge about that Bus, I look at my Routie keychain for a minute or two and than the temptation completley dissapears.

myeyesseekreality
Raven
Raven

01 Jan 2007, 6:42 am

I never thought of NT's stimming. All I know is that stimming keeps me calm, and puts my head back in order, without it I think I'll go mad.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 7:37 am

SteveK wrote:
The wave isn't a stim. I think it caught on because it CAN look so good from an aerial view.

I don't think so. Just because the wave involves several people, it doesn't mean it is not a stim. For instance, checking the hair of others seems to be a stim, and it is "social" in its nature. I have other potential examples as well that I haven't checked out yet.

SteveK wrote:
As for female courtship, you mean twirling the hair?

NT women do all kinds of strange things to interest males they are trying to get attention from. Generally, it is assumed that these body-motions evolved from submissive displays. They are culturally independent, yet I do not think they are universal in all females, because I doubt most Aspie-females do them. Some of these are done with the eyes (like looking down and away), while others are body movements. Instead of rocking back and forth NT women twist their bodies, for instance. If one of these is a stim, so must be other be.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 7:42 am

JulieArticuno wrote:
It's more than just twirling the hair I think, SteveK-I would alsoclass NT stims as fiddling with rings, bracelets, earringas, necklaces, threading and unthreading finders in each other, and even some forms of gesturing.

These seems to be good examples of NT stims. Maybe I should let NTs do another version of the stim-quiz which included the "wave", some female coy cues and so on?

Does somebody else have some more examples of NT stims?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 4:10 pm

some examples of NT stimming that is really non-verbal communication and animal nature....Social preening.

At the first level it is straightening the clothes,picking off lint on self or others(like looking for flees in primates).Also,touching the face and hair,applying lip gloss,combing hair with fingers.All of these are unconscious and done to attract others.The second stage of attraction can be doing this to others...potential mate or friend,bonding ritual.Playing with your drink(peeling off beer label and folding it)twirling or chewing straw.

When someone mentioned....wave,I assumed they meant greating.The history of this is to show stranger that you are of no threat,carry no weapons,same as the hand shake.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 4:50 pm

krex wrote:
some examples of NT stimming that is really non-verbal communication and animal nature....Social preening.

At the first level it is straightening the clothes,picking off lint on self or others(like looking for flees in primates).Also,touching the face and hair,applying lip gloss,combing hair with fingers.All of these are unconscious and done to attract others.The second stage of attraction can be doing this to others...potential mate or friend,bonding ritual.Playing with your drink(peeling off beer label and folding it)twirling or chewing straw.

When someone mentioned....wave,I assumed they meant greating.The history of this is to show stranger that you are of no threat,carry no weapons,same as the hand shake.

Guys and Gals..... Your definitions of stims have blured to the point that anything and everything could be considered a STIM!

I thought stims were something that would start subconciously, but was otherwise voluntary, that are repetitive, and continuous. This would INCLUDE rocking, spinning, flapping, pacing, twiddling, etc.... But NOT include waving, picking off lint, straightening clothes, hand shakes, etc...

So where DOES it stop?

Steve

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 5:06 pm

SteveK wrote:
I thought stims were something that would start subconciously, but was otherwise voluntary, that are repetitive, and continuous. This would INCLUDE rocking, spinning, flapping, pacing, twiddling, etc.... But NOT include waving, picking off lint, straightening clothes, hand shakes, etc...

So where DOES it stop?

Steve

For me it stops when nonverbal communication and stims have been unified in some way.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 5:10 pm

I think NTs bounce their legs just as much as autistics do. I just have to look around in the classroom to see that. I bounce my leg usually when I'm feeling nervous and sometimes impatient.