What Do You See as the Benefits of Having AS?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2013, 2:22 pm

The main benefit is not being a blithering idiot.

But in all honesty, I've always been the way I am and can't really imagine being any differently... so I can't think of things in terms of benefits nor flaws. I simply am the way I am and that is all there is to it.
Being saved from idiocy through sheer virtue of a few genes is a good bonus though.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 2:46 pm

-My senses of smell and hearing: I can smell the rain/snow coming and I can hear lost kittens outside from a two-story building.
-Attention to detail.
-My fascination with mythology, you would be amazed at how it affects the modern world.
-My resistance to peer pressure and all the crap that comes with it.
-The ability to live in solitude for long periods of time.
-That ability to sneak up on people, even when wearing bell braclets or carrying noisy plastic, that's hilarious! :D

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 3:12 pm

HereBeDragons wrote:
-That ability to sneak up on people, even when wearing bell braclets or carrying noisy plastic, that's hilarious! :D

Goodness me, I seem to have a similar skill, although I don't think I could pull it off with bell bracelets or noisy plastic. I have cat's tread; I walk and am not heard, I walk up behind someone, and am not noticed. I've often scared the bejeebus out of people who had no idea I was standing right behind them, making comments like "You're so stealthy!", "You should have become a ninja!"

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 3:54 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
HereBeDragons wrote:

Goodness me, I seem to have a similar skill, although I don't think I could pull it off with bell bracelets or noisy plastic. I have cat's tread; I walk and am not heard, I walk up behind someone, and am not noticed. I've often scared the bejeebus out of people who had no idea I was standing right behind them, making comments like "You're so stealthy!", "You should have become a ninja!"

Ha, same here!
I involuntarily scare my mother on a regular basis, so I got used to make intentional noises - which still seem to be a bit too silent because even then it happens I scare her. Same thing happens to peers at school, they often freak out because they are busy standing in their closed circle talking about things and suddenly I'm behind some of them and say "hi" which makes them jump. :lol:
I scare my father and brother too that way, even though I don't want to!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 4:06 pm

My mother is constantly complaining about me sneaking up to her or sneaking into a room and scaring her. She is always telling me to make some noise when I enter a room. I am wondering what kind of noise I am supposed to make.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 4:16 pm

At the moment I see more disadvantages than advantages having autism.

But I like my detail orientation and that I notice things others don't.

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2013, 12:24 am

My benifits (at least if Atos dosen't ruin them.) My imaginary worlds. And my basic philsophy.

Catharascotia
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2013, 1:02 am

I generally find more drawbacks than benefits, but I like being highly observant and my ability to notice details. I'm just beginning to recognize that this is unusual after a lifetime of going, "You didn't notice that? Really?" It comes in handy when learning about people and places, and also when navigating--I often see signs that others miss. Though this can be a problem when I assume that other people have seen the sign too and they actually haven't, and then they miss the turn, and they ask why I didn't say anything, and I'm like, "But it was right there, I thought it was obvious!". Many people also often find it flattering when I immediately notice their new haircut or new shirt (though I have to be careful not to be creepy in my observant-ness). I often feel like I'm missing things in social situations, but when I look at things that aren't people, it can be nice to know that I'm probably seeing more than most people.

Noticing patterns is also a good thing, particularly when learning a foreign language. I can pick up grammatical patterns from a few words, and then several months later we're formally taught it, and everyone seems confused, and I'm like, "Didn't everyone already know that?"

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 2:20 am

I like the existential thinking, the time alone, I like how I am not reckless and everyday is the same. Hmmm only things an autistic person would like.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 2:50 am

Sylvastor wrote:
CyclopsSummers wrote:
HereBeDragons wrote:

Ha, same here!
I involuntarily scare my mother on a regular basis, so I got used to make intentional noises - which still seem to be a bit too silent because even then it happens I scare her. Same thing happens to peers at school, they often freak out because they are busy standing in their closed circle talking about things and suddenly I'm behind some of them and say "hi" which makes them jump. :lol:

Lol I wish I could do that, I have a tread like a stampeding elephant; my gait is such that I literally fall from one foot to the other while walking and it sounds like I'm stomping around, people can hear me coming all the way down the street!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2013, 9:45 am

I'd say immunity to advertising is a benefit. Advertising is designed to emotionally manipulate people, and it doesn't work on people with AS who don't respond to that kind of thing. Saves you a lot of money. I feel sorry for the kind of people advertising works on, really, because they must be easily manipulated.

LilFlo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2013, 2:11 pm

Sylvastor wrote:
CyclopsSummers wrote:
HereBeDragons wrote:

Ha, same here!

I feel less alone in that case. I've always heard that I was too silent, almost invisible and that's not something I dislike or take bad actually =) As it can be annoying for the others in such situations (though hilarious also), I try to be more "noisy"... but it doesn't work that much -_-

About what I see as the benefits of having AS hmmm, my hyper focus, my thirst for knowledge, my aptitude to understand / learn / memorize fast, my logic, my way of solving things which make it very helpful for me and the others, my unique interests, my high sensitivity which makes me more "awake" than the others, and also my love for solitude (I see oh so many people struggling with that and I feel kind of sad for them...). Well if we skip the social problems I witnessed since my childhood and despite the fact that I tend to act like a wolf, let's say that AS brought me a rich life. It has been chaotic before but it seems now like I've been able to create some order from it and only the positive aspects remain.