Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

reneeirena
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2013, 7:36 am

Hey. Does anyone else here major/do a module in linguistics? Do you struggle a lot with it? I've been fine so far and now's my second year. We've just started to analyse spoken texts and I'm starting to struggle a little. I don't know anything about conversations beyond what was taught to me in therapy and several things go against things I've learnt. Should I tell my tutor? He's nice, but we're both so awkward that I don't know how to...

Minty33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2013, 8:02 am

Email him? Makes things a little less awkward right?

reneeirena

12 Jan 2013, 9:00 am

I was considering doing that, but I don't really know what to say.

Minty33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2013, 9:05 am

I know, I've been in this situation plenty of times. But the thing with emails is that you can word them, and re-word them, as much as you like. When I've been in this position, I open a word document and I just keep working at it until I'm happy. I can think of everything I want to say and hopefully that will do.

Unfortunately, my lecturers are all like "please come to my office and see me about this, I don't like sending long emails" then I scream and die a little inside :l
I forget everything he tells me and the whole thing would have been easier if he just responded through email, but I'm just ranting now..

Anyway, good luck!

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 11:28 am

What part are you struggling with the phoentic part of finding sounds I found difficult but the part of using logic to make sentences into trees I foudn easy? The analyzing spoken things I think would be harder for me.

reneeirena

13 Jan 2013, 6:34 am

Most of it is easy to understand. We're starting on pragmatics, which in theory isn't so bad. The problem comes in when you need to find a pragmatically (in)correct answer/statement/whatever and explain why. I've already talked to my tutor (FB chat is amazing) so now we're figuring out what to do with me...

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 2:27 pm

I wish I could be of help but don't really know how to do that myself other than a little in English.

Coralie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2013, 4:25 pm

Have you found that there is a lot of oral/auditory work in linguistics, or is it mostly written? Based on my experiences in foreign language classes, I do really well analyzing written language, but I have a much more difficult time with spoken language. Particularly, stress, intonation, and phoneme production are difficult for me. Would this be a problem? I have to take a series of linguistics classes for my major, so I was wondering if I am setting myself up for a lot of struggles.