Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 6:32 pm

LordExiron wrote:
Wow! This sounds terrible. Wasn't the idea of a traditional blind date that even though you don't know the person's personality, nor have you seen them, you were set up by a mutual friend, who knew you well enough to make a reasonably good guess that you would get on well. This sounds like sheer, unqualified stranger-meeting, and highly unsafe.

Generally a traditional blind date was facilitated by a mutual friend...

This app is HORRIBLE and in my area would just result in me spending a lot of time and money trying to flee the scene without getting offending anyone..

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 6:42 pm

aspiemike wrote:
Well... this idea seems very psycho friendly. How many people are going to make it home alive after a blind date?

I've had people come to my house for a date on a number of occasions and I'm still here

You can get stabbed far more easily just by walking along the street these days so imo there's not much correlation between going on a blind date and being attacked/killed

If it's your time to go...

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 6:50 pm

mfs1013 wrote:
I don't know if anyone noticed, but OkCupid unveiled a new feature/app called Blind Date...

basically, you can set yourself up a date (and maybe a time), pick a location on the map, and OkCupid will scramble your picture of you... and just wait for someone to be interested in you!!

you can also find a list of available blind dates... the catch you and the other person does not read the OKC profiles!!

Sounds like a recipe for getting raped or mugged or worse.

OKCupid has a really effin terrible idea on their hands.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 6:53 pm

I'd never use it though as I wouldn't be able to do a through character assessment, which is what has kept me safe so far,
so yes there is far more risk involved.

All the more importance to meet in a public place

I doubt many will use it

People chicken out of meeting even after talking for a while online and arranging a meeting place - I have

Not because I feared for my safety - I just didn't feel confident enough to cope with it

SPKx
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2013, 1:23 am

It was an interesting idea, but it only seems like a handful of people are actually using it (i.e. not really much choice).

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 3:03 am

SPKx wrote:
It was an interesting idea, but it only seems like a handful of people are actually using it (i.e. not really much choice).

It's for gays and lesbians - not a straight material.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 3:54 am

In your profile you specify what gender you want and if they are single or if you are not even bothered. I would imagine that the blind date would match gender appropriately based on this. I wouldn't say it is a limitation to lesbian and gays, but the success of this application would be to those that belong to the hookup culture. The stereotype of lesbian and gays seems to fall in that category. Like Boo said, it will appeal to the free loving, plug & play type. Not those that are seeking to court their potential future partners, e.g. the probable success would be lower.