Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 2:45 am

Something in another thread made me think of this, and I am now curious.

I don't. If something says something offensive about my religion, my ethnic background, and such, it generally doesn't bother me too much. I may think it's a load of bull@#$%, but I typically don't get offended.

Now, criticism and personal attacks directed toward me specifically are another matter. In those instances, I overreact.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 2:53 am

FishStickNick wrote:
Something in another thread made me think of this, and I am now curious.

I don't. If something says something offensive about my religion, my ethnic background, and such, it generally doesn't bother me too much. I may think it's a load of bull@#$%, but I typically don't get offended.

Now, criticism and personal attacks directed toward me specifically are another matter. In those instances, I overreact.

I used to get offended really easily. With old age comes wisdom, I realise there's no point ever taking things personally (offensive NTs are pretty lame despite their perception they have some superior power over us). Pity I didn't know then what I know now :wink:

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2013, 3:00 am

The thing that offends me the most is when someone questions my integrity.

Another thing is when people make statements without knowing the details of the situation. "You could have done this, you should have done that..." - how the Hell do you know what I could or should have done, you weren't there!

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 3:02 am

I think I do online, but practically never in person because I can denote intent with tone.
I am usually unable to recognize instance as a variable and so generally with text I become offended because I can't hear tone.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 7:40 am

Depends.
If someone insults me for my country, language, appearance I couldn't care less and I will just laugh at them.
If someone insults my beliefs, my family, my intelligence, I can get furious.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 8:05 am

There are some things I find getting offended over stupid. Like so many people get offended with minor racist remarks, when the racist remarks don't mean anything personal at all. Everybody complains about the government letting all the Eastern Europeans in to this tiny country, but we don't mean any disrespect to the Eastern European people themselves, they are probably all good people in general, but it's more the fact of too many people being on this small island with not enough jobs or homes or education to go around. It's not the actual people themselves. But you still can't say anything anywhere because there is always someone who takes it to heart and gets offended.

I tend to get offended when people criticise me about what I like and don't like. I'm always told to mind my business, so why can't they mind theirs?

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2013, 9:14 am

I get offended very easily if someone insults or disparages my core beliefs or interests. I also get very offended when people question my intelligence or competence. Even mild teasing can set me off. I've worked very hard to control this, and I've gotten better, but it's probably one of the things with which I struggle the most.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 9:51 am

Where I live people in general aren't quite as judgmental when it comes to race, religion or superficial appearance... unlike some OTHER country that shall remain nameless... but sometimes people say things to me that don't so much as offend me as they really just bug me or I mistakenly see as being negative. For example there's a pizza place my mother and I go to about every three weeks or so and we usually order the exact same things. I usually go to the buffet where I can have pizza AND pasta and my mom orders a "flatza", which is like a pizza baked on flat bread instead of dough. After a while the waitresses and my mother started making jokes about always ordering the same things. But I took it a little too personally and felt embarrassed for being so predictable, and then one week I told my mother I was thinking of ordering off the menu instead because of this. But she said I should have whatever I like no matter what people say. Another thing that has seriously bugged me is when people have come to my apartment for the first time-not friends or relatives but for example some people who I don't even know inspecting the apartment, which makes me uncomfortable enough, but then they start going on about how much stuff I have. I guess it's a compliment but it makes me feel like I must be some spoiled brat whose parents give her everything she wants. And if they ask me if I have any questions the one thing that comes to mind is "Are you leaving now?", but that would be very rude of ME. :P

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:48 am

I'm not sure if its the same thing as taking offense, but I don't take even mild criticism well. I seem to take things too personally.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 11:21 am

I may care too much or not at all; not sure where the line is to be drawn.

knifegill
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2013, 11:58 am

Not usually, but when somebody says or assumes I said or thought things which I didn't say or think, it's on!

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2013, 5:12 pm

Given that one always has the choice whether to be offended or not (whether one knows it or not), and that getting offended serves no purpose besides making a scene and just generally being a dick... I have conditioned myself to avoid being offended wherever possible, by anything. Disgust is sorta fine, and mild annoyance can be tolerated, but never outright offence. My mood is my responsibility, and if I have become offended then it means I've automatically lost the game (and, for what it is worth, am automatically in the wrong).

The flipside of this is that I extend that consideration (or lack thereof) to everyone else too.
That means if someone gets offended by me, they've automatically lost as far as I'm concerned... If they continue to be offended, I tend to get increasingly annoyed at them... leading to the somewhat ironic fact that the one thing that most often offends me is others being offended (which spirals rapidly into a whole lot of hate, with equal measures levelled at myself).

If there is a take-home point here it is this: If you're offended, it is YOUR fault.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 5:32 pm

knifegill wrote:
Not usually, but when somebody says or assumes I said or thought things which I didn't say or think, it's on!

Yes! This is a big one for me too. I try to let it pass, especially when I realize I may not have explained completely or specifically enough (which has happened here) though.
But yeah, when it's just blatent disregard of what was actually said, I tend to get rather annoyed because then it's other people misrepresenting me/what I've said that can lead to other people hating me for no good reason at all, and that is rather unacceptable to me. It'd be different if someone spoke with me and just didn't like me at all (which is the majority of new people that I meet).

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 8:19 pm

knifegill wrote:

Same. This is one of my meltdown triggers.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:23 pm

Yes I can get offended when people talk down at me, or if they attack anyone or anything that I like.
I also get offended if they try and point score its as if how I feel dosen't matter.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:55 pm

No. Am not embarrassed easily either. If I am laughed at i am more likely to just be confused why something I did was interpreted as comical.

This came up during a session with my therapist once. We were doing breathing exercises to help with anxiety when I feel dizzy. She started very slow in her demonstrations and kept telling me it was okay if I didn't want to do it. I think she was surprised that I had no problem at all with doing these heavy breathing exercises with her.