What kind of job do you do and are you happy?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JustKeepSwimming
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2013, 4:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious what line of work adults with Aspergers are doing and whether you are happy?

My daughter talks about a few different things she wants to do when she grows up but my biggest wish is for her to be happy with what ever she finds works best for her.

Thanks in advance :D

Last edited by JustKeepSwimming on 17 Jan 2013, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 4:17 pm

I work as a cleaner, cleaning offices in city hall. It's nice work, in my opinion. It isn't complicated,yet it's also not mind-numbingly boring, the people who work at the office are nice (for some reason, my shifts are during working hours, and not before or after... which admittedly I would have preferred).

It's not the job I dreamed of as a child or as a teenager! But it's a living! :D

ma_137
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2013, 4:23 pm

I'm a system administrator for a local school system. The job is ok. The time off is good and the benefits are ok. Sometimes I pine for more of a challenge or more pay. However, you cannot beat the vacation (holidays/summers off) and paid sick days. I work well with the kids. interacting with them is easier than adults.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 4:27 pm

I'm a civil servant, working in high level government regulation of health care.

The pay is good, but it's a highly stressful job, and it's eating away at my health. I am continuously looking for another job, but currently, it's a tough market.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 4:32 pm

I'm a nurse. Every day is torture, misery, pain and suffering. Thanks for asking.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 5:12 pm

I troubleshoot computers over the phone. The computers are in retail grocery stores and sometimes the employees call in to say "hullo, all the payments are down ! !"

The problem solving is rewarding, and I like helping people over the phone.
However, Management is resolutely determined to make each day eight hours in hell.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 5:21 pm

(1) Teach criminal justice courses online for my local university (my way of making use of my Master's degree--paid by the course).
(2) Cashiering part-time at Wal-Mart (so I can pay all of my bills).

Between the two of them, I make a decent income. I am happier with the first than the second, but Wally isn't as bad as it sounds. Again, I'm only part-time there. Full-time...don't think so. 8O

I've gotten used to the noise, more or less, but there are days when I feel myself going into "shutdown mode" and really need a nap when I get home. Then, I need to wake up and grade stuff for my courses.

Not complaining, btw--I'm pretty happy with the way my life is going now. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

ronpl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2013, 5:25 pm

i work now again in our family business
i mostly help with the accounting and delivering the products with my business partner.

i do like it right now because it somewhat helps to get more practice solving my social phobia

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 5:26 pm

i work in a call centre. It is a living hell.

My deviant art profile

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 5:35 pm

I am also a cleaner. I like my job, it is not too demanding so I have energy left at the end of the day for my interests which are very important to me. Unfortunately it doesn't pay very well, but I don't mind as I am not too bothered about money.

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 6:06 pm

I am in operations for a large office, my job basically consists of problem solving, mediating and resolving conflicts that arise in the work place. Not much fun but I seem to be pretty good at it and the pay is nice. Although if I knew I had AS 16 years ago when I was offered the job I would have turned it down. In a few years the general manager is retiring and he wanted me to take over for him when he left, I said no thanks.

okie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2013, 7:20 pm

I'm a part time security guard. It's just a college job. I'm majoring in social work. However, I met another aspie that works with my company. She's a woman in her fifties who was diagnosed with Aspergers about a decade ago. She's gone through various jobs her whole sporadic working life, never being able to hold one down. Her job with the security company is the longest she's had one job (three years now). She typically works night shifts in large facilities, just watching equipment. She has very minimal human contact on the job.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 7:28 pm

Software Developer. It is all I have every seen myself doing and, after screwing up uni, it has taken me years to slowly work my way into the role. There is plenty I still struggle with and would change but I could be doing a hell of a lot worse so, overall, quite happy.

Alexithymia: 137

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 7:49 pm

science

The job itself is not too bad - dealing with numbers etc and requiring a logical brain and attention to detail.

But I am still an underachiever. There are many sh1t people around (like in most work environments).

So, overall, I'm closer to unhappy than happy, but it's not the worst.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 8:12 pm

Cleaning govt' offices in the evenings ... I am rather sick of toilets, but I like that I work on my own.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2013, 9:28 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I'm a nurse. Every day is torture, misery, pain and suffering. Thanks for asking.

For the patients or for you? I don't think I could do nursing - after a few hours, I'd want to hide in a supply cupboard and curl up in the foetal position.