Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

yellowlab
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2013, 10:11 pm

Hey everyone I wanted to say I have trouble sleeping at times especally when I have something going on the next morning. I was wondering if this is an Aspie thing or just me and does anyone else suffer from this like me? and how do you cope with it? I hope all is doing great.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 10:18 pm

yellowlab wrote:
Hey everyone I wanted to say I have trouble sleeping at times especally when I have something going on the next morning. I was wondering if this is an Aspie thing or just me and does anyone else suffer from this like me? and how do you cope with it? I hope all is doing great.

I suffer from insomnia: early morning awakenings starting at around 4 am and I wake up every hour until 8am when I finally get up.

I don't have any way of coping with it yet, I am going to the doctors to see if I can get a sleeping aid.

It happens every night.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 10:20 pm

once i didn't sleep at all the night before a civil service test.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 11:51 pm

All of nature is based upon waxing and waning; dormancy and renewal. I wouldn't aspire to mess with that.

Edited: Oops, I'm sorry I thought I was replying on a different topic about science devising a way to dispense with sleep.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 1:15 am

yellowlab wrote:

I have had severe sleep problems my entire life. My circadian rhythm is completely broken and I wake up every 1-2 hours when I do manage to sleep. Melatonin helps but I'm so sensitive to it that I feel hungover for 2 days after using 1mg. The only thing that has helped is cannabis. For sleep I eat it in pills form and it knocks my ass out for 4-6 hours with no hang over. My sleep problems have played a major role in f*****g up my life. I go with 2-3 hours of sleep per day/night (there is no set time in a 24 hour period that I am able to sleep, it changes all the time) for a couple of weeks until I'm completely exhausted then just crash for nearly 24 hours. I will be ok for a few days after then it starts all over again.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 1:57 am

Rascal77s wrote:
yellowlab wrote:

I have had severe sleep problems my entire life. My circadian rhythm is completely broken and I wake up every 1-2 hours when I do manage to sleep. Melatonin helps but I'm so sensitive to it that I feel hungover for 2 days after using 1mg. The only thing that has helped is cannabis. For sleep I eat it in pills form and it knocks my ass out for 4-6 hours with no hang over. My sleep problems have played a major role in f***ing up my life. I go with 2-3 hours of sleep per day/night (there is no set time in a 24 hour period that I am able to sleep, it changes all the time) for a couple of weeks until I'm completely exhausted then just crash for nearly 24 hours. I will be ok for a few days after then it starts all over again.

That sucks man :( My problem doesn't seem as bad now but it's still aggravating.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2013, 2:38 am

yellowlab wrote:

I have the same problem.

I used to be suffering nearly everyday, but I seem to be better now, only being unable to sleep if a special event occurs next day.

Oh, one thing-- I usually can't sleep if I don't take a shower that day.
I find showering in hot water and scrubbing myself with a good, large piece of soap really helps to calm my nerves down.

Quote:
Rascal77s wrote:

I have had severe sleep problems my entire life. My circadian rhythm is completely broken and I wake up every 1-2 hours when I do manage to sleep. Melatonin helps but I'm so sensitive to it that I feel hungover for 2 days after using 1mg. The only thing that has helped is cannabis. For sleep I eat it in pills form and it knocks my ass out for 4-6 hours with no hang over. My sleep problems have played a major role in f***ing up my life. I go with 2-3 hours of sleep per day/night (there is no set time in a 24 hour period that I am able to sleep, it changes all the time) for a couple of weeks until I'm completely exhausted then just crash for nearly 24 hours. I will be ok for a few days after then it starts all over again.

Not all of us have the same rhythm as normal people.
I personally don't find it a problem when I'm on a holiday-- there's no point of following the others.

One trivia: the original creator of Pokemon, whom is an Aspie, sleeps for 24 hours, and then works for 36 hours straight. This is his rhythmn.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jan 2013, 3:02 am

I have the same problem. I don't know if it's an aspie thing. I've often thought it was an anxiety thing. But it's certainly a problem!

It seems that on the very nights I could really use a good night's sleep, because I have to deal with a new or stressful situation the following day, sleep evades me entirely.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 3:39 am

SuSaNnA wrote:

Quote:
Rascal77s wrote:

I personally don't find it a problem when I'm on a holiday-- there's no point of following the others.

One trivia: the original creator of Pokemon, whom is an Aspie, sleeps for 24 hours, and then works for 36 hours straight. This is his rhythmn.

It's not a matter of having a different cycle, I have no regular cycle. It's like having jet lag every day but your body thinks it's coming back from a different time zone every day.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2013, 3:44 am

Rascal77s wrote:
SuSaNnA wrote:

Quote:
Rascal77s wrote:

It's not a matter of having a different cycle, I have no regular cycle. It's like having jet lag every day but your body thinks it's coming back from a different time zone every day.

I sometimes am like that too, I just let myself do whatever my body wants to.
No regular sleeping time.
Sometimes I have really funny sleeping times throughout the summer.
If I can't sleep, I just won't try. I just get up and start gaming until I suddenly want to sleep.

I actually waste more energy than gaming when I try to sleep, possibly because I kept rolling and flopping on my bed, being impatient and everything.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 4:07 am

SuSaNnA wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
SuSaNnA wrote:

Quote:
Rascal77s wrote:

If I can't sleep, I just won't try. I just get up and start gaming until I suddenly want to sleep.

I actually waste more energy than gaming when I try to sleep, possibly because I kept rolling and flopping on my bed, being impatient and everything.

I'm not sure that I'm clearly expressing that I've been like this for the past ~14,600 days.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2013, 4:33 am

Rascal77s wrote:
SuSaNnA wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
SuSaNnA wrote:

Quote:
Rascal77s wrote:

I'm not sure that I'm clearly expressing that I've been like this for the past ~14,600 days.

8O 8O 8O 8O oh dear...
Have you told the doctor that you wanted some pills for sleeping?
Or some other mood stabilizers with the side effect of drowsiness (which is actually commonly used for insomnia)?
Such as Seroquel, Lexapro, resperidone...

Dear, I feel so sorry. Back then when I had my GCSE exams I didn't sleep for 5 days and thought it was awful...

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 4:45 am

SuSaNnA wrote:

Dear, I feel so sorry. Back then when I had my GCSE exams I didn't sleep for 5 days and thought it was awful...

I saw the doctor about it when I was 18. For some some reason he completely blew off what I was telling him. He told me to drink warm milk. When I told him I can't drink me he told me to eat turkey. When you have a serious sleep disorder that's like telling someone to take an aspirin to cure their autism. Maybe the guy thought I wanted meds to get high or something but I just never trusted doctors after that.

Anyway I've been like this so long I'm kind of used to it so no need to feel sorry.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2013, 4:49 am

Rascal77s wrote:
SuSaNnA wrote:

I saw the doctor about it when I was 18. For some some reason he completely blew off what I was telling him. He told me to drink warm milk. When I told him I can't drink me he told me to eat turkey. When you have a serious sleep disorder that's like telling someone to take an aspirin to cure their autism. Maybe the guy thought I wanted meds to get high or something but I just never trusted doctors after that.

Anyway I've been like this so long I'm kind of used to it so no need to feel sorry.

Oh, that milk method NEVER worked!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! *angry with doctors who told me that*
It's like telling someone with a broken arm to go home after taking one paracetamol pill.

Also with stuff like "have better sleeping hygiene-- don't read books on the bed, don't game on the bed"
I was like "I never did those"

Those stuff are pure rubbish, in my opinion.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 4:57 am

SuSaNnA wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
SuSaNnA wrote:

Oh, that milk method NEVER worked!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! *angry with doctors who told me that*
It's like telling someone with a broken arm to go home after taking one paracetamol pill.

Also with stuff like "have better sleeping hygiene-- don't read books on the bed, don't game on the bed"
I was like "I never did those"

Those stuff are pure rubbish, in my opinion.

Oh that reminds me, I sleep on the floor :lol:

CindySara
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2013, 8:07 am

Rascal77s wrote:
SuSaNnA wrote:

We totally can sympathize. We're identical Aspie twins and we both have insomnia (we gave it to each other, ha, ha). Our doctors have pretty much done nothing about it, too. We also have anorexia, so the drugs they tell us to take (i.e. Seroquel) are out of the question because they cause massive weight gain. Also, we read that antidepressants don't work very well for people with autism. Not sure if this is true or not but from our experience it is :( The drug that works best for us is clonopin. It's a benzodyazipin (this is probably spelled wrong) and is only suppsoed to be taken temporarily but we've been on it for alsmot a year and it still works. We take less than .5 mg with 50 mg of trazodone. We usually get 6-7 hours of sleep a night with an average of six hours and fifty minutes. The meds have not helped our circadian rhythms at all though. We have wacky schedules of 7-7:15 pm to 1:50-2:30 am waking time (usually 2:05 is most common waking time). Isn't that nuts? I agree with another person on this thread who said sleeping problems have f***ed up his/her life. It's certainly screwed up our lives. The past year has been one long nightmare because of it and even resulted in a hospitalization. It's at a dull roar now and we hope it stays that way but gosh, how nice it would be to have a normal rhythm!