Does Autism have some distinct facial features?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2013, 4:22 pm

I have noticed that many Aspies have a certain look about them. Though I do think that that study is unreliable.

M-is-red
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2013, 5:25 pm

The kids are cute and have kind of a 'grown up' look. However I can't see how this study is significant. Even if the faces are a pattern, it only covers a few autistics. My sons are all somewhere on the spectrum and only one had this kind of look. And then of course, his face looked like a composite of his grandfathers' faces. My face certainly doesn't fit the pattern, except for the big mouth :lol: and big head for my great brain!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 5:32 pm

It's not that I'm arguing against it, but there is always a study on everything every day, and one tells you one thing then something else tells you the complete opposite, so you don't really know what to believe.

And sometimes WP can be a bit like the weather forecast; some threads say Aspies do one thing, then a few months later a thread springs up saying that it's an NT thing to do exactly what the earlier thread was about, and you're like ''OK, I thought that was an Aspie thing''.
''Do Aspies prefer to keep things tidy?'' A few months later ''do NTs prefer to keep things tidy?'' Huh?

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 8:40 pm

stevenjacksonftw7 wrote:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20123858-10391704/children-with-autism-have-distinct-facial-features-study/

I kind of ponder this since you can grab many people who are neurotypical who can look like that. Cerebral Palsy and Down's Syndrome have obvious facial features, but I won't believe that there are distinct facial features in Autism until I have more of a reason to believe it.

I don't know. Here is me, you tell me, do I look autistic?

lol

PS: i am 29 . . but ppl still think I am 15. Not sure why tho! Maybe y'all can tell me!

This Side of Happiness (self portrait)

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 10:35 pm

This is a very interesting topic, and any news will be welcome by me.

Here are pictures of some people with AS:

Heather Kuzmich:

Craig Nicholls:

Alexis Wineman:

Dan Aykroyd:

ImageImage

I think some of them (if not all) break the pattern in one way of another.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 10:50 pm

Didn't the study look at childhood facial features, not adult ones?

(The one trait commonly associated with ASDs I can relate to is that I look young for my age.)

Lodelar
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2013, 12:59 am

Considering that most of us seem to wear glasses, according to this poll: wrongplanet. net/postt154893.html

It makes sense that we also have wider eyes because eyes that are short-sighted are bigger: ssc.education.ed.ac. uk/resources/vi&multi/eyeconds/myop.html

Coincidentally, the reconstruction of the Neanderthal child fits the description.

rdos. net/neanderthal.jpg

[Note: I had to put a space in the URLs because I cannot post links yet.]

stevenjacksonftw7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2013, 1:03 am

There's something about Heather Kuzmich's picture that makes it obvious that she has Autism, but I don't know what it is.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 1:11 am

stevenjacksonftw7 wrote:
There's something about Heather Kuzmich's picture that makes it obvious that she has Autism, but I don't know what it is.

Her facial expression? It looks to me as if her attention is on something other than the cameras

stevenjacksonftw7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2013, 1:13 am

deltafunction wrote:
stevenjacksonftw7 wrote:

Her facial expression? It looks to me as if her attention is on something other than the cameras

It's not just that, I've noticed that Autistic people tend to have different facial features, and she has them. I don't know exactly what they are, but their faces tend to be something that you can mathematically figure out from what it seems.

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2013, 5:29 am

stevenjacksonftw7 wrote:
deltafunction wrote:
stevenjacksonftw7 wrote:

It's not just that, I've noticed that Autistic people tend to have different facial features, and she has them. I don't know exactly what they are, but their faces tend to be something that you can mathematically figure out from what it seems.

She (also) definitely has a certain look in her eyes, a look which is commonly associated with Aspergers.

Last edited by JellyCat on 21 Jan 2013, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 6:35 am

Lodelar wrote:
It makes sense that we also have wider eyes because eyes that are short-sighted are bigger: ssc.education.ed.ac. uk/resources/vi&multi/eyeconds/myop.html]

I have big eyes, but I am long sighted.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 6:43 am

Superficial people always want to find a quick way to peg someone and it's usually not out of kindness but who to single out and pick on.

albeniz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2013, 6:44 am

From this summary of Hans Aspergers original 1944 article:

http://www.paulcooijmans.com/asperger/a ... rized.html

Quote:
"They often have a brooding frown. The early thinking shapes the face."

I think that there may be some truth to this, that the strain on the brain as a baby struggles to logically interpret the world rather than relying on intuition may induce some sort of "brooding frown".

Expressionless faces is also another obvious trait although it is not present 100% of the time for obvious reasons, Aspergers can smile : )

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 1:08 pm

You know I don't think it has a look. I do not look anything like those people, and I doubt we had childhood resemblance.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 1:38 am

stevenjacksonftw7 wrote:

You serious? She just looks baked to me.