Ten Ways to Find Out if You Are Too Sensitive.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 9:19 am

"Being born with heightened sensitivity can become our greatest asset or our worst liability, depending on how we relate to it.

"Although most most of contemporary society is structured in such a way that being extra sensitive can sometimes feel like a curse, ancient cultures recognized it as a special gift, and they admired and valued those who possessed it as special guides."

Ten Ways to Find Out if You Are Too Sensitive.

- Emerson

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 11:30 am

Thanks!

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 12:27 pm

I fullfill:

3. While others seem to move through public education with no problem, you feel oddly out of your element restricted by the ringing bells, the buzzing florescent lights, the deadlines on assignments, the superimposed pace, the lack of creativity.

5. While others can enter a room without having its details phase them, you notice everything from the stain on the left curtain panel, to the cooking smells from the previous meal, the texture of the couch upholstery, its temperature, lighting, how close the traffic sounds are, and any residue tension lingering in the air from the argument that transpired in the room before you even entered it.

6. While others can run with the monotonous rat race at urban speed, through multiple tasks, rush hour traffic, complaining bosses and many co-workers, day after day, year after year, your constitution is more suited to working at your own pace, in peaceful surroundings, or you may become rattled.

8. While most people can go from work, to shopping, to socializing in a single day without even blinking an eye, you find yourself needing to pace yourself and take time to recharge in between stimulating activities or events.

And I guess those are through autism how I see it.
I might be overly sensitive in some areas, but I think this has more to do with my mood disorder, but in general I'm not the classic case of an overly sensitive person.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 3:04 pm

Completely me but I had already worked out that I was like this and most others aren't

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jan 2013, 4:28 pm

Well, guess I'm not extra sensitive. Only 6 and 8 fit me and those are mostly just autism/social anxiety/introvert traits. It doesn't surprise me, I've always been terrible at judging music/tone, tasting whether food is properly seasoned and being creative.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 5:23 pm

I had always assumed that all people with Aspergers/an ASD would be as sensitive as me ie I thought autism was a way of defining a person as extremely sensitive. I can now see that sensitivity in itself is more of a personality trait and nothing to do with the sensory type sensitivity of autism ie it's not emotional sensitivity.

I have often thought it's lack of sensitivity that causes people to drink/take drugs/engage in any excessive or risky behaviour ie life generally doesn't have much impact on them so they are forced to take substances and risks to get a 'high' due to their blunt experience of everything. Being the opposite I have no need of alcohol/drugs/risk taking to experience extremes. It's the same with flavours too - I don't like strong ones as normal food often tastes too strong for me.

People always seem to want to experience situations and emotions far beyond what is my safety zone, even in normal everyday conversation - what gives me extreme discomfort doesn't seem to impact on them at all or they actively enjoy the discomfort, seeing it as stimulating instead.

Even having an electric toothbrush in my mouth is too much for me - I find it intolerable.

I therefore think of the brains of less and non-sensitive people as under-stimulated and mine as greatly over-stimulated.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 5:39 pm

Most of those traits are present in people who are simply introverts with no pathology; it's really the intensity that determines whether or not they are problematic.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 5:52 pm

I have many of those traits. Thank you for sharing that.