Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 11:41 pm

I know, not a very descriptive subject, hopefully it lured enough of you tech-savvy people in here to figure this one out.

I've recently gotten my 12" powerbook back from Apple, where they had to replace the logic board, among other things. Now, every so often, it beeps, but it isn't coming from the speakers. At least it doesn't sound like it. I don't care what the sound device is that is playing it, I want to know why it is occuring.

I've narrowed it down to the hard drive. If the computer is set to put the hard drive to sleep when possible, then the beeps occur. Randomly. If that check box is unchecked in power management, no beep. "Problem solved!" you may say, but I use this computer in class, and having that little bit of extra time would be nice. So... EDIT: WRONG, wasn't the spin-down. May not even be the hard drive....

Does anyone have any idea why this would be occuring?

I know, odd of me to go for tech support here, but I'm fed up with Apple, and I've so far turned up nothing of significance on t3h internets (tm). I figured there might be someone here who either knows more about this and might know off the top of their head, or someone that's bored and a better google miner than myself. If anyone's successful....uh....you get a cookie? And my thanks, but more importantly....a cookie....

Current delivery options are nonexistent.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2007, 7:45 am

Power Management Unit (PMU)

The Power Manager is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is usually on the logic board of the PowerBook and iBook. As the name implies, it is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping.

/*
Can I ask if this beep happens when you have your laptop pluged into the power supply and your moving it or so as I know my laptop beeped when the power cord got knocked in the socket on my lap and kept switching from main power to battery mode...
*/

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2007, 8:34 am

well, its not the hard disk spinning down, I thought it was but tbe beeping continues.

Its not anything about whether the computer's on battery or outlet power, it has beeped while just sitting on the table without me touching it, plugged in, and it has beeped unplugged.

I've also reset the PMU, so it isn't that as far as I can tell either. I don't have a clue what the cause is, because there's absolutely no indication that anything's wrong... other than the beep. The computer is running fine. No other odd noises. No slow-down while using it around the time of a beep. Nothing. I've troubleshooted the hell out of it, and I simply can't find anything wrong. The only thing I have left to do is to take out the non-Apple RAM and see if the beep continues. When I got the laptop back, the RAM I had added was removed, and there was a note saying it "didn't pass the Apple diagnostic." I have swapped out the RAM with a different brand after the beeping began, and it didn't do any good. I'm going to be really annoyed if the new logic board, for whatever reason I can't come up with, is picky enough to only like Apple "approved" ram.

Zimmy
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2007, 1:57 pm

Try This

On startup, before the bong sound, hold down Open Apple + Control + O + F at the same time, when it tells you to release, then release. You will get an ok and a 0 > prompt, your in open firmware.

Type the following commands and proceed only if both say ok afterwords

reset-nvram
reset-all

it will then go and restart, you will hear the bong, and boot right into OS X. Some settings, such as speaker volume and the such will be reset, so don't be alarmed if the bong is softer/louder.

It might not fix it, but it might, let me know if it does.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2007, 6:42 pm

Thanks for the advice, Zimmy, I'll try to check it later. I've already reset the nvram with the ctrl-optn-command....ok, I've been drinking, I don't remember what it was, but I did it. I'll try the reset all command though.

For the sake of knowledge (knowledge is power, "I HAVE THE POWER!! !!") what exactly does that command do in the system? I'm not afraid of it doing anything wrong nor am I accusing you of being some 1337 H4X0RZ!! !!, just want to know for educational purposes. I love my mac (despite all my hardware woes), but I don't know nearly enough about some of the lower level stuff. Too many years as a windows user.

UPDATE:
I tried the reset-all command in the open firmware. At least so far (knock on wood, fingers crossed) I haven't heard a beep. If I post this and then hear a beep, I won't be entirely surprised, but at least at this point I don't think I will. I think it took care of it. Thanks again for your help.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 12:12 pm

AAAARGH

I had completely forgotten about the beep until about 20 minutes ago. Hadn't heard it since I had edited the above comment. Then... it beeped. I've got 90 days since I got it back to contact Apple for free via phone support, and to get it repaired for free. The issue is, I don't want to send it off if there's nothing wrong past the beeping. As I mentioned in another thread, this is practically a comfort object for me, and I get a bit irritable if I don't have it available to me. I have other computers that could take care of whatever needs I may have, but it simply isn't the same.

At the same time, if it works until after the 90 day period and then fails, well, that's where they have every legal right to charge me for any repairs enacted. I just spent roughly $350 to get it "fixed."

Anyone have any idea what could cause this? I've really spent a lot of time trying to figure out potential causes, and as the beep is the only (random) indicator that anything could be wrong, I don't have a damn clue at this point. There's nothing I've managed to find online about others having a similar problem. Well, there's a couple that sound similar, but again, no solution was ever found, or at least ever posted.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 7:13 pm

Know this is going to sound really stupid but some email software's beep when you have new mail, Know it's totally out, but you have any background type mail software running that beeps while you have a new message, just you said 20 mins it did not beep & normally you don't pick up on the fact it went when you checked your message's, just normally the operator will go down a check list with you as you answer his question's he clicks the options and starts asking the next set until he gets to the most common causes of the problem, unless it's not connected to the "net" lol

Just as I know your logic board was replaced, so unless they got really bad luck and put in a faulty one even after diagnosing it... Just thinking outside the box, You know what would help is the beep itself... as tone and how long it goes, speed of the beeps, so on is a very important thing, as it tells you exactly what it wants you to know, unless you don't know what the beep mean's

Using Apple Hardware Test If you have not done this...

You can use Apple Hardware Test to help determine if there is a problem
computer’s hardware.

To use Apple Hardware Test:
1 Disconnect all external devices from your computer except the power adapter.
If you have an Ethernet cable connected, disconnect it.
2 Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 that came with your computer.
3 Restart your computer and hold down the Option key as it starts up. A list
startup volumes appears. Click Apple Hardware Test and click the right arrow.
4 When the Apple Hardware Test main screen appears after about 45 seconds,
onscreen instructions.
5 If Apple Hardware Test detects a problem, it displays an error code. Make
error code before pursuing support options. If Apple Hardware Test does
hardware failure, the problem may be software related.
For more information about Apple Hardware Test, see the Apple Hardware
Me file on the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 that came with your computer.

/*
The maximum amount of memory you can install in your PowerBook is
1.25 GB, using one 1 GB DIMM in the memory slot.

Installing Additional Memory

Your computer comes with one memory slot that you access by turning your computer
over and removing the four screws that secure the memory slot door. Your computer
comes with 512 megabytes (MB) of Double Data Rate (DDR) Synchronous Dynamic
Random-Access Memory (SDRAM), with 256 MB of memory installed on the logic board
and 256 MB of memory installed in the memory slot. The memory slot can accept an
SDRAM module that meets the following specifications:
 Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR SO-DIMM) format
 1.25 inch or smaller
 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 gigabyte (GB)
 200-pin
 PC2700 DDR 333 Type RAM

Making Sure Your Computer Recognizes the New Memory

After installing additional memory in your PowerBook, check whether the computer
recognizes the new memory.
1 Start up your computer.
2 When you see the Mac OS desktop, choose Apple () > About This Mac from the
menu bar.
The dialog that appears shows the total amount of memory installed in the computer.
For a more detailed breakdown of the amount of memory installed in your computer,
click the More Info button.
If the memory is not recognized or your computer does not start up correctly, shut
down your PowerBook and check the instructions again to make sure that the memory
you installed is compatible with this PowerBook and that it is installed correctly. If you
still have problems, remove the memory and consult the support information that
came with the memory or contact the vendor who provided the memory.
*/

Hope I have got the right user guide "Powerbook G4 12-inch?"

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 8:51 pm

I've already done all of that. Finding this sort of information is easy enough. I was hoping for a more outside the box idea from someone with experience with powerbook errors.

I have built computers for a large portion of my life. The "standard" diagnosis stuff is far from new to me. If you come up with anything that I can't find via google, or apple support, let me know.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 10:11 pm

If you record the beep and give a link... Might be able to tell you what it is...

My Mac makes funny beeping noises during startup

If your Mac beeps during startup, it usually indicates an issue with its memory. This issue will generally only occur after you've installed new memory into your computer or replaced existing memory. Here's how to troubleshoot what these beeps mean.

* One beep—Your computer doesn't detect any memory. First, make sure that the memory card is seated properly. If you replaced your computer's memory, shut down your Mac, swap out the current memory card with the original RAM card, and restart your computer. If your computer doesn't beep on startup, replace your new memory card. If it does beep, call in the cavalry.

* More than one beep—Your memory may be damaged or incompatible with your computer. First, make sure that the memory card is seated properly and verify that it is compatible with your Mac. If it is, shut down your Mac, remove all third-party memory (reinstall the original card if you removed it), then restart your computer to make sure that it starts up normally. If you don't hear any beeps, shut down your Mac and reinstall your memory one card at a time. If you hear beeping, the last card you installed is the culprit. Contact the memory vendor.

/*
Maybe it is your memory, have you tryed taking it out and using it without the memory in and seeing if it beeps...

Did you do that what you said you where going to do? .... But the recording of the beep will tell alot...

Type your ram like this:-

PC-2700 DDR, 333Mhz, 2.5volt, Unbuffered, 64bit, Low Power, 200pin, CL2.5
*/

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 11:04 pm

I cannot simply record the beep, as it is entirely random. It may happen once a day, it may not happen at all, it may happen multiple times.

You have posted information you have gathered from the net. I am capable of using google as well. I've done my best to scour the web for information, and I haven't even limited my searching to just powerbooks.

More than that, it doesn't beep during startup.

I've told you, I've run every diagnostic that I, and far more knowledgeable people, have thought of. There has been zero indication of the source of the problem. I'm not asking for diagnostic options from a web page, I'm at this point asking for any ideas from someone who has seen similar, or heard of similar.

I'll say it again...

shadexiii wrote:
I have built computers for a large portion of my life. The "standard" diagnosis stuff is far from new to me. If you come up with anything that I can't find via google, or apple support, let me know.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 11:24 pm

If it is that random the beep, it could be anything up to the pressing multi keys at the same time...

Coz I would expect that to course...

Quote:
I cannot simply record the beep, as it is entirely random. It may happen once a day, it may not happen at all, it may happen multiple times.

And yes you build them, but take the note you got from the apple techs.. Just coz 1 can build a computer does not mean it will run right

Try pressing 3 keys on the keyboard at same time J, H, G some computer's are more sensitive about this, hold till it starts beeping and tell if that's the beep your hearing...

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 1:35 am

logitechdog wrote:
If it is that random the beep, it could be anything up to the pressing multi keys at the same time...

Coz I would expect that to course...

Quote:

And yes you build them, but take the note you got from the apple techs.. Just coz 1 can build a computer does not mean it will run right

Try pressing 3 keys on the keyboard at same time J, H, G some computer's are more sensitive about this, hold till it starts beeping and tell if that's the beep your hearing...

Just because one can use google doesn't mean that one is knowledgeable about what google contains. I hope you don't consider it unfair that I use your same reasoning towards what you have shown.

Nothing you have provided has been novel. Nothing you have provided has been helpful. You don't "have" to help. I've asked twice now for you not to simply google the problem and post what you have found. The most that does is keep the thread towards the top of the list, which is likely irritating to others at this point. For the last time, if you don't have a clue what it is, please don't simply google the problem more and post your findings. I have already stated that I can do that just fine.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2007, 5:29 pm

Find the little round non music beeper/sound maker, has those flat power/data cable and disconnect it from the motherboard. I have done this on my windoze box and there is a good chance your mac has one like it too. Not the speakers the piezroeletric sound thing that could be it.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 6:04 pm

V111 wrote:
Find the little round non music beeper/sound maker, has those flat power/data cable and disconnect it from the motherboard. I have done this on my windoze box and there is a good chance your mac has one like it too. Not the speakers the piezroeletric sound thing that could be it.

Thanks for the advice.

I had thought about that being a possibility. Unfortunately its a laptop, and I haven't the slightest idea how difficult that would be. With it being random, I'm also tempted just to "live with it."

That, and it hasn't beeped for quite a while, possibly a couple days, though I wouldn't hear it while asleep. For all I know it may have just stopped beeping. >_<

I've come up with a theory that it might be some kind of "burn in" thing with the logic board. I know I'm really reaching with this, but it could be an issue of things just settling in, that could dissipate with time. If nothing else, telling myself that helps me sleep better at night. :P

If I hear it again, or I come up with anything, I'll make note of it here. I appreciate all the advice that's been provided.

EDIT: just heard a beep...