Idea: Wrong Planet Community Game Night

Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Would you be interested in having a WP Community Game Night?
Yeah, I think so. 73%  73%  [ 29 ]
I dunno, maybe. 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
No, probably not. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Wait, what? 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 40

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 2:39 am

I know it's kind of a crazy idea, but what if we started up a WP community gaming night, or something? You know, just a night or nights that members of the community who play online games could get on the computer and play together, or just chat with each other. Skype or Steam are both good services for both voice and text communication, so it's not like someone would have to rent and set up a Teamspeak server or anything to make it work, either.

I think it'd be pretty neat, actually. And all of us who don't like how rude random people can be in online games, we probably wouldn't have to worry too much about getting flamed by each other for being less than stellar at a game. Some of us may be competitive, but I would think we're less inclined to harass people than most. Because, I mean, we'd be playing for fun, right? Right? That's somethign a lot of gamers these days seem to have forgotten: games are meant to be fun, to be entertaining, not a context for a yelling match with some random stranger who didn't play the game exactly the way you wanted them to.

So, anyway... Here's a list of games I'll be playing once I have a gaming computer again:

Free-to-Play:

PlanetSide 2
Blacklight: Retribution
World of Tanks
Mech Warrior Online
Hawken
Ghost Recon Online
Team Fortress 2
Warframe
Warface

Monthly Subscription:

Eve Online

One-Time Purchase:

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
Arma 3 (in development)
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4 (in development)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
DayZ: Standalone (in development)
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

So, what do you all think? You think having a community game night would work, or just fall flat on its face?

Last edited by Zokk on 24 Jan 2013, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 6:02 am

Zokk wrote:
Skype or Steam are both good services for both voice and text communication...

Aspergians? On the microphone??

rixxar12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2013, 9:11 am

What do you think about something more simple, like transformice

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJReZRji7tg[/youtube]

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jan 2013, 1:30 pm

I'm up for Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 3, and DayZ standalone, when it's out.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

23 Jan 2013, 1:50 pm

Ooh, Team Fortress 2 sounds good to me. (And I just got a new set of gaming headphones. :D)

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Aspergians? On the microphone??

Yeah, I did say it was kind of a crazy idea, didn't I? 8)

Zaswe12 wrote:
I'm up for Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 3, and DayZ standalone, when it's out.

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Ooh, Team Fortress 2 sounds good to me. (And I just got a new set of gaming headphones. :D)

TF2 seems to be popular here on WP; there's a whole other multi-page thread on it here in the gaming section, so that could probably start us off as the "trial run" game for the WPCGN.

I know some of us are lucky enough to have jobs or be going to school (I'm not one of them, right now, unfortunately) and we come from all over the world, so scheduling could be a bit tricky, at first. I live on the US West Coast, in the GMT/UTC -8 time zone, commonly known in the US as PST/PDT or Pacific time. Saturday nights work best for me (and I'd imagine they do for most people) but Sunday nights would probably work for a lot of people, too. I don't know what my schedule will be like if or when I get a job, though. When or if I get around to building a new gaming computer also depends on if or when I can get a job, too; how often and how long I work, and how much it pays per hour...

Anyway, scheduling! What's your schedule look like, or what do you think it will look like sometime down the road?

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jan 2013, 4:05 pm

I don't have much going on, so anytime that isn't past 10pm, or the morning. And the computer is always mine. Just me when and I'm there.

zeldafan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 4:58 pm

Minecraft aspie server. DUH. Skype would be awesome for it and it could be like hosted by us Wrong Planteers. :D

I'm on on weekends for about 2 hrs during in the day and sometimes week days. Contact me when we get this thing going guys! (Also i reccomend we do this on Saturdays cause that way everyone is out of school/work most of the time.

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jan 2013, 5:12 pm

zeldafan wrote:
Minecraft aspie server. DUH. Skype would be awesome for it and it could be like hosted by us Wrong Planteers. :D

I'm on on weekends for about 2 hrs during in the day and sometimes week days. Contact me when we get this thing going guys! (Also i reccomend we do this on Saturdays cause that way everyone is out of school/work most of the time.
I hate Minecraft servers, they just aren't that fun, unless we create a new vanilla server and do teamwork to survive, otherwise a Minecraft server is a no go to me. The servers where people just build gigantic stuff and have plots or currency, are the ones I hate.

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jan 2013, 5:15 pm

We should start a Steam group too.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:15 pm

Zaswe12 wrote:
I hate Minecraft servers, they just aren't that fun, unless we create a new vanilla server and do teamwork to survive, otherwise a Minecraft server is a no go to me.

Same here. I've never really been into Minecraft to begin with, really.
Zaswe12 wrote:
We should start a Steam group too.

That kind of... I dunno... I just don't really care for the idea of creating an official group all that much, I guess. That kind of opens the door for creating a Facebook group/page, a YouTube channel, a Twitter account, etc. We don't really need all that to feel like a community, do we?

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jan 2013, 6:28 pm

It was just and idea, I rarely use steam, I'm not very familiar with it, I just play the 3 games I have.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

24 Jan 2013, 1:39 am

Saturday night will work, especially since I live in the GMT -08:00 time zone as well.

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

24 Jan 2013, 1:48 am

The only game I have on the list is Battlefield, which doesn't work :cry:

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jan 2013, 2:35 pm

For the record, I might yell a lot.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 9:34 pm

Zaswe12 wrote:
For the record, I might yell a lot.

That's okay, I yell too. :lol: