Second Irish council allows drink-driving on its roads!

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 10:46 am

Quote:
SECOND Irish council signs up to allow drink-driving in rural roads
  • Danny Healy-Rae's motion passed by Kerry County Council by 5 votes to 3
  • Independent Gazlway councillor Michael Fahy said he would raise idea
  • Motion proposes that rural drivers should be able to drink more and drive
  • It has been passed to Minister for Justice who can take issue up in government
Support is growing for the introduction of drink-driving permits on rural Irish roads as a second council is set to hear a motion on the proposal.

Councillors in County Kerry have already backed a change in the law that would allow drinkers in rural areas to drive after having 'two or three drinks'.

But despite widespread criticism of the proposal, originally put forward by pub owner and Independent councillor Danny Healy-Rae, a councillor in another county has expressed support.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Lovely way to play to old Irish stereotypes, boys. ;)

I admire the cut of their jib, mind you, so I can't knock 'em too much. :D

That is all.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 11:32 am

Saving the life of a woman by aborting a non-viable fetus. No go.

Allowing people to drink and drive. Go.

:scratch:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 3:20 pm

I hate to admit it but most people here drive on the dirt roads after drinking,it's called"backroading",the odds of you getting stopped are nil,the deputies don't go on dirt unless they get a call.They do check points on the highway,but,IF you know the deputy,and you can pass the walky they usually don't make you take a breathalyzer,they ask if you are headed home and let you go.Once I was at a remote party,the sheriff was also there,got on the mike and told everyone to stay put for a bit,State boys working a wreck.How nice of him,but it was election year and this is a dry county :lol:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 3:25 pm

Drink Driving permits???????

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 3:27 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I hate to admit it but most people here drive on the dirt roads after drinking,it's called"backroading",the odds of you getting stopped are nil,the deputies don't go on dirt unless they get a call.They do check points on the highway,but,IF you know the deputy,and you can pass the walky they usually don't make you take a breathalyzer,they ask if you are headed home and let you go.Once I was at a remote party,the sheriff was also there,got on the mike and told everyone to stay put for a bit,State boys working a wreck.How nice of him,but it was election year and this is a dry county :lol:

That is so true. When you are out there, you can pretty much drive the way you want but the roads are so bad, it will tear up your car. There's no law out there, that's for sure. Law as in cops and sheriffs unless they are called. Most don't go to the trouble. I am surprised more people don't live off back roads but if they did, there wouldn't be any anyway. It would be one big suburb except for the cities.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 3:41 pm

My county is so funny,like Mayberry gone bad :lol:
The best judge we ever had went to the pen for vote buying,but when he was judge you could get your drive graveled and even culverts put in.
One of our ex sherriffs is in the pen now for tax invasion,and another judge embezzled money and ran off to the Phillipenes.
The tax payers voted in a new jail,it's built and sitting empty,why?Because the past two elections everyone votes down the tax to run it.
The old jail was declared unfit and now it's the Christian food room.
This county has the best politicians money can buy. :lol:

Funny story about that one sherrif.There was a angry lady with a gun outside one of the school bus driver's house.He called the sheriff,the sheriffs repy,"Stay away from the windows,she'll get tired and go home". :lol:

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

Tequila wrote:

I admire the cut of their jib, mind you, so I can't knock 'em too much. :D

That is all.

Maybe its a way of rediverting police resources to more effectual avenues. If it saves money maybe there is method in the madness, I don't know. The Irish have a completely unique outlook and attitude on drink, and dare I say intoxication threshold.

Once in New York in the last century the Mafia tried to do away with one of their 'marks', an Irishman, by allowing him to drink himself to death. After drinking the contents of the entire bar, they had to throw him out into the harsh New York winter. it was -20 degrees. The next day he was still alive so they ended up having to shoot him.

My deviant art profile

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 4:06 pm

Misslizard wrote:
My county is so funny,like Mayberry gone bad :lol:
The best judge we ever had went to the pen for vote buying,but when he was judge you could get your drive graveled and even culverts put in.
One of our ex sherriffs is in the pen now for tax invasion,and another judge embezzled money and ran off to the Phillipenes.
The tax payers voted in a new jail,it's built and sitting empty,why?Because the past two elections everyone votes down the tax to run it.
The old jail was declared unfit and now it's the Christian food room.
This county has the best politicians money can buy. :lol:

Funny story about that one sherrif.There was a angry lady with a gun outside one of the school bus driver's house.He called the sheriff,the sheriffs repy,"Stay away from the windows,she'll get tired and go home". :lol:

Sounds a lot like where my mom grew up! She was around a lot of home made liquor too, known as "moonshine." Neighbors made it by the gallons and drank it a lot. People were drunk most the time.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 4:14 pm

In Ireland they have a similar substance called 'Poteen'. It is 90 percent proof. I tried some before, It tastes like vanilla.

My deviant art profile

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 4:20 pm

You can still get moonshine here homemade,not store bought.The makers have a very traditional name, ha ha,I won't mention,they have done it for generations,but it doesnt taste like vanilla.The really stout stuff will actually burn,I have no idea what proof it would be.
People also call it wildcat or wampus cat.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 4:34 pm

It's County Kerry. The Irish tell Kerryman jokes the way Americans tell Polish jokes. :wink:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:22 pm

maybe they will relax drunk driving laws in south boston now too

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 6:41 pm

thomas81 wrote:
In Ireland they have a similar substance called 'Poteen'. It is 90 percent proof. I tried some before, It tastes like vanilla.

Don't you mean 120-180 percent proof (i.e. 60%-90% ABV)? Poitín at 45% wouldn't be seen as strong enough, surely?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 6:44 pm

Misslizard wrote:

They're not like this in the UK from what I know (or most of it anyway). Perhaps it's different in out-of-the-way areas, but I've never really known a tolerance for drink-driving in my time. It was probably a lot different about 40 years ago.

I do believe that the U.S. has a much bigger tolerance of a drink-driving culture though, especially in rural areas?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 7:00 pm

^^^^Yeah,that's pretty true.I've went down some back roads pretty buzzed but I'm not about to hit the highway.And it's not a regular event for me.I'd rather sit in the garden and pull a good one.One fellow had a really lucrative wrecker business,for a double price he'd pull you out pf the ditch,or ravine and not call it in.you can backroad here and never see a cop.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 7:32 pm

Misslizard wrote:
And it's not a regular event for me.I'd rather sit in the garden and pull a good one.

I'd love to do that, but it simply isn't warm enough for much of the year.